AFC Wimbledon (A) Tues 21st August, 7.45pm

"Underground, overground, wombling free,
The Wombles of Wimbledon Common are we"…

Mike Batt (popular song from long ago)

The Saddlers’ start to the new season has become “curioser and curioser” (apologies to Lewis Carroll, who gave those words to Alice (Alice in Wonderland) to describe her increasingly bizarre experiences). This Walsall side who were the bookies’ front-runners for relegation with some justification, now find themselves comfortably in the play-off zone of League One after 3 league games and looking at something called a “Cup run”. Four games unbeaten and a goal difference of 8-4. Curious indeed.

So we travel to Kingsmeadow, the home of the “real” Dons until their new stadium is built nearby, and although each successive game may be judged to be more difficult than its predecessor there is some justification for that state of mind for this one. The Wombles sit in 7th place in League One undefeated like ourselves, but more significantly they haven’t conceded a league goal in their 3 games. Mind you, with a goal difference of 1-0 they’re not scoring all that freely either!

There is a Walsall connection in their ranks, of course - defender Rod McDonald is the son of our own striker of the same name (149 games, 40 goals 1990-94), he was on the bench in their most recent game at Barnsley. Wombles’ results so far this season:-

Aug 4th Fleetwood Town (A) Won 0-1
Aug 11th Coventry City (H) Drew 0-0
Aug 14th Portsmouth (A) EFL Cup Won 1-2
Aug 18th Barnsley (A) Drew 0-0

What can we expect from Dean Keates’ squad for this one? I’m sure I’m not alone in having the uncomfortable sensation of waiting for the bubble to burst … that’s what many years of supporting Walsall does, regrettably! However, the team has thus far achieved its results by doing "exactly what it says on the tin", playing the kind of exciting and attacking football that some UTS contributors have compared to the golden days of Ray Graydon’s management, coupled with the wholehearted approach that characterised Keates’ own playing performances back in the day. Ferrier and Cook are developing a partnership that just keeps getting better, and the squad depth is illustrated by the fact that despite Zeli Ismail missing the Gillingham game through injury it made little difference on the field of play.

Bearing in mind the Wombles’ obvious strength in defence I would be happy with a point from this one, and the obvious score to go for would be 0-0. But I’d still like Andy Cook to add to his League One tally, preferably with a winner in the 95th minute …

UTS

1 Like

I think this will be a hard fought 0-0 but with us doing all the attacking :smiley:

Will be difficult, Wimbledon have had a solid start themselves but think we’ve got enough about us to see these off.

Wimbledon 0-2 Walsall.

A draw will be good, a win excellent.

1-1 with Cook breaking his duck.

“duck”? He did score against Plymouth Argyle :wink:

From the Dons forum:

Walsall have 7 points from 3 games. Won’t be easy. Ferrier had scored twice for them already.

18th Aug 2018 17:11:13
oxford don

barnsley have also 7 points , f••k ferrier and warsaw

18th Aug 2018 17:13:18
womblesince86

Like most, I have a soft spot for Wimbledon and glad to see them a league above MK but I hope we smash’em Tuesday. They can’t continue to gain points without scoring. Cook will score 0-3

Too much sun!

1-1 would be lovely

Fixed that for you :wink:

Can we buy tickets on the door?

1 Like

Too much sun then a modest amount of ale (well not proper ale out here)

1-1 Cook to double his goal tally😄

They will concede a goal soon…I think 1-1 looks a certainty.

So just to confirm (or not)…can anyone watch this on I follow or do you have to live outside UK?

Do you have to register or is it just streamed free?

Sort of game I’d quite like to log on and with a few clicks watch. Too easy of course to put it on clubs youtube websites like you saw with the Villa one a few weeks back which was easy enough to watch.

1-1 Cook plus 45 posts about the unmitigated crapness of iFollow.

1 Like

Two nil. Cook with both.

Take a draw now but think we’ll sneak a 1-0 win towards the end. UTS

Sneaky 1-0 Ferrier.

‘We were awesome, we have a fantastic team and we’re going for it. We fear nobody and we are pushing for the top 6 this season’

Keates post match interview after thumping Wimbledon 4-0 with a Ferrier hat trick and a 25yd worldy from Cook! :crossed_fingers::joy:

I have emailed the club and ifollow HQ and am hoping for an answer tomorrow because I don’t think anybody knows for certain. Bit of a shambles if you ask me

1-0 to the Saddlers, Gordon nets from the bench.