Ama Bakayoko could leave Walsall

Walsall fans strike again!

A young lad with a lot of football under his belt, experience of leading the line on his own, rated by both Smith and Whitney, now coveted by teams in League One and the Championship…but no, Walsall fans know best, he’s useless.

The best thing the lad could do is leave. And then return plenty of times over the years and score against us, as others have done in the past.

4 Likes

He’s only ever looked threatening in a 4-4-2. When he was paired with Agyei against Plymouth, they both looked a real handful. It was typical of the Whitney era that as soon as we lost a game with that formation (I’m sure it was only a few days later), we reverted to something else without ever really going back to it.

It’s not all down to Whitney as on numerous occasions he’s seemingly displayed a lack of effort, which is partly why he hasn’t really developed over the last two years. He’s worth keeping hold of though, with all this apparent interest there’s got to be a player in there somewhere. Either that, or there are clubs out there without a scouting network. Imagine that!

Has he been anything but useless in his 90 odd appearances? Joint 79th top scorer in the league last year despite only missing 5 games?

Yes, yes, I know, he played a nice pass to Dobson.

I think he could be a good supporting striker to Cook if he is willing to take on the excess workload. He doesn’t have the instinct needed to be an effective lone striker (very few at our level do) but, as he showed for the Dobson goal, he is capable of playing the channels and linking up play.

2 Likes

Young lad? he’s a grown man.

And what makes you think he was rated by Smith? he was no where near the starting 11, with Jordan Cooke played ahead of him.

No, some people just disagree with your assessment of the player maybe? It’s fine to dislike a player. It’s fine to like one. It’s that simple.

I think there’s something in there and i’d give him 1 more season to prove it in a 4-4-2 (although I’d have him as third choice) under Keates. His record is poor so fans have every right to want rid of him to be honest.

2 Likes

His relationship with some fans is an issue. Even if he stays, performs well and starts banging them in you wouldn’t count on him signing a new contract. Personally, I think he wants a fresh start and the club intend on giving him one, can’t see any other reason why that story would make the press.

2 Likes

If he bags say, 15 league goals next year, which I think is a reasonable return on 40 odd games, I’ll be the first to hold my hands up.

1 Like

If we get a serious offer we should sell. Otherwise maybe it depends what Dean thinks about Candlin as a backup (sub behind cook and one other unsigned striker) - is he ready? should he go out on loan?

Says the person who couldn’t wait to ridicule other posters regarding their belief in Keates :roll_eyes:

Good clause (percentage of the next deal) and I think he should go. Why? In WFC he has problems to properly start his career. I don’t know if it was wrong position, wrong training or wrong idea where and how he should play, but something holds him back. Maybe somewhere else he can start again and progress better.

Good stalking tinned! Actually, I’m not ridiculing anyone for a belief in Keates, rather I was trying to point out that there is no reason at all to think he is the saviour of the club. That said, I like what he’s said and done so far this pre-season and it bodes well.

I agree Shrops, its the same old story. I know of a number of players who would not dream of playing for Walsall for this very reason.

Teams in this country and abroad plus Keates of course who has extended his contract for another 12 months think he has potential. But some people on here just cannot see it, so who is right?

So one of the first summer team building decisions Keates has made has the disapproval of quite a few fans, but all we get is its Whitney’s fault.

Unbelievable, we need to move on, forget last season and get behind whoever we have got for the new season. This is not a good start though!

Jesus what a load of nonsense.

1. which players are they?

2. did they name teams in that article? If so who? Because I’m amazed there is interest.

3. I wonder who has watched more of Bakayoko, the fans who have seen him play over 90 times for the club, or some scout or even a manager that has been in charge for a handful of games?

4. yes there is disapproval. And there is blame towards Whitney for his coaching of the player. But the actual decision? NOBODY is blaming Whitney. It was Keates decision and his alone, one I disagree with. Move on and separate the two managers FFS.

5. first? Wasn’t that releasing deadwood and bringing in his own staff?

6. And you are moving on by slating Keates and banging on about Whitney? Weird way of doing it.

2 Likes

Baka is a very frustrating playing, couple of year ago there looked like there was a player in there somewhere but due to the poor level of coaching he has received he has regressed. Sadly I think his relationship with some fans has deteriorated to the point they would not give him another chance.

They will be on his back the next sitter he misses and conversely I think he will be giving it the big un in front of the home end if he does score, which will further alienate him. Probably best for all if he moves on but I reckon we will be the ones who miss out as I think he could flourish alongside Cook.

3 Likes

Which players? Genuinely interested.

There’s a player there.

Picked by different managers in front of a Canadian International, a Belgium U21 and Tyler Roberts at times. Not surprised if other clubs think he’s worth a relatively cheap punt. See if they have better luck turning him into a more consistent performer.

Totally get the interest, but also understand the frustration of those that only think in binary.

01000010 01100001 01101011 01101111 01111001 01101111 01101011 01101111 00100000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01100110 01110101 01100011 01101011 01101001 01101110 01100111 00100000 01110111 01100001 01101110 01101011

1 Like

Personally I think we have one of the most understanding and patient fan bases in the country, ask yourself how both Villa and ■■■■■■ fans would react to some of the stuff we have had to put up with.

Perfect example being Baka , delivered very very little over the previous few seasons yet he gets rewarded a new contract. Sorry but fans of other clubs would not be happy either.

1 Like

Playing in a 2 upfront or on his own doesn’t change the fact that he can’t hold the ball up, is useless in the air, has no pace and doesn’t convert enough of his chances. Get rid, and for money - kushty!

1 Like