Anyone Remember?

Scarves swinging above your head to a twenty minute rendition of "I’d walk a million miles for one of your goals. Massive steps up to the street end and not knowing where the edge of them were in a big crowd at the end of the match. Standing in the gap between the barriers behind the goal and getting flattened when we scored.

Goalkeepers in long sleeves. The Laws changed a few years back, not sure exactly when, to allow them to wear short 'uns.

Short shorts, i remember a pic of Paul Mariner looking like he could sing soprano :joy:

1 Like

Can remember rosettes being sold accompanied with cries of " get ya colours"

Contested drop balls.

2 Likes

The surface of the football pitch at Aluminium Bronze was better than that at many league grounds.

Bring them back!

Names “into the book” rather than showing red or yellow cards.

Injury time rather than “time added on”.

Linesmen rather than referee’s assistants.

4 Likes

Officials in black.

Goalkeepers’ jerseys always green.

4 Likes

Yes - no need to put up a board, you knew it was no. 12 coming on.

And cries of “How long you playing ref? You’ll have it dark!” as no boards telling you how long to expect to be added on.

Radio commentaries from the likes of Bryon Butler, Peter Jones and Maurice Edelston, no shouting or ridiculous histrionics from those gents, just plenty of knowledge and explanations of what was actually happening. I could listen to a commentary back then, usually can’t stick more than a couple of minutes now, although Jon Murray is good, a bit of a throwback to days of yore.

2 Likes

Hope they managed to get it back to the tunnel without dropping it - unlike Martin O’Connor! :see_no_evil:

Mr Kirkpatrick.

3 Likes

Orange footballs when there was snow on the pitch.

2 Likes

Inflatable Swifts.

Union jacks with Walsall F.C on the back windows of the coaches on away games .

Even shelled out £60 for a new flag for away days this season … :rofl:

3 Likes

I will give you £10 for it :laughing:

1 Like

Deflated usually, didn’t last very long. I remember my Dad getting me one, they were £4. Was a lot of money, it was only £2.50 to get in the match at the time.

Anyone remember being excited come saturday morning that you are going to a game home or away later in the day , a few beers with your mates … a coach to catch maybe , a walk up the Wednesbury road … Ahhh how I miss the good old days

1 Like