Anyone Remember?

Manage to contrive to delete post instead of editing!

The video above made me reminisce of muddy pitches. The Baseball Ground never had any grass left on it after October.

1 Like

I also remember getting as excited as that, only to get to the coach bit, and being stranded on the motorway having to wait for a replacement :joy:

Good old Dawsons … :joy:

Remember the fans singing at games … Dawsons and other half singing Central :joy:

Was always a Central man myself … :rofl: :rofl:

4 Likes

Remember when we beat Newcastle in the cup in 75 - after George Andrews scored it seemed like 50% of the Newcastle fans in the cowshed were hauled out by the coppers and marched round the pitch - as a kid at the front i didn’t see much more of the match

1 Like

Beating manure 3-2, i was speaking to a fan this morning and he didn’t believe that we beat them? then resorted to the fact that he hadn’t been born then, so it didn’t count :joy:

Beating sheff we’d 2011 boxing day their fans trying to bully our fans one of them got by Walsall end then got slapped then after game they all got ran from the retail park back to their coaches by 100 plus Walsall plus a few villa with Walsall lads that day

3 Likes

Had a similar conversation last year with a young 'un who was boggled when I told him I’d seen us beat ManUre. When I pointed out that a few years back I’d seen us end a season above Man City in the League I was worried his head was going to explode.

2 Likes

Another term used… player “had his name taken” for a booking.

2 Likes

I was at the front of the cowshed leant against the wall for that match and I barely saw anything as there were so many fans on the side of the pitch. Buckley talks about it in the new book that’s out saying he was literally skipping over people’s legs when going down the wing.

2 Likes

The programme shop at the bottom of the steps which was also the place to book the coach for the next away game.

Trying to get past the copper on the the gate into the cowshed.

1 Like

Was little Lennie the dwarf, got arrested once for throwing his shoes at referee. , Used to wear a pair of shorts that where miles to big for him, Heard some time back that he had sadly passed

1 Like

My old man played for the bronze team for years, alongside ex saddler jimmy condie

He used to take me as a kid to watch the saddlers train on there , and I’d. Go back and forth to the works canteen to lil who ran it to fetch Bernie Wright his bottles of lemonade Wonderful memories

He passed away quite a few years ago mate, used to live down caledon place in a bungalow in pleck, i worked there a few times.

He was a proper character mate, Used to go home and away. Do you remember when he used to have that red Pom Pom hat on and a massive pair of shorts , His language to the officials was. Terrible at times. But he was part and parcel of fellows park. And. Very rare he was not there.

1 Like

Another old streetender who is not to well at present mate is migsar Hayes, He was at my sisters last week. He’s been through the mill. Himself just lately Had some great times with him tho. Mate following dh.

3 Likes

Ye i heard he hasn’t been well for a while mate, i remember when i used to go into beechdale club and buy my lynx deodorants from him after his elves had been shopping :joy:

Old songs you never hear any more -

“Where’s your father,
Where’s your father
Where’s your father, referee,
Hasn’t got one,
Never had one,
You’re a bastard referee.”

4 Likes

That’s migsar mate lol. Did he make you an offer you can’t refuse, Ie buy it or else fight me lol

1 Like

Lennie was a legend, sort of a mascot, i don’t think i ever went to a game that he wasn’t there, but he had a wicked temper :joy: another guy who used to go with the rushall lot was a black guy who was deaf and dumb, and they used to call him gusgog, and it wasn’t until a few years later i realised what it rhymed with :flushed:, and i was mortified :see_no_evil: i still see him now and again and he always makes a fuss of me, lovely guy.

Ye i spent a fortune :joy: