Away days

Remember once at Halifax we where loosing and we tried to get game called of by kicking all the cinders up, couldn’t see a thing and our plan failed lol

I was there that day, remember it well, sort of reminds me of the ‘one step beyond’ bounce that we all do now!

1 Like

Went to Scarborough on the Tuesday night, and we then had bury on the Thursday the night promotion was clinched

2 Likes

And look at both of them now!

Halifax, only ground I’ve been to where they had meat raffle at half time. like in the pub on dart night. Took a mate who was a regular Shef Wed fan, he couldnt believe it. Still mentions it nowadays.

1 Like

Loved the Scarborough ground…who would have guessed that it was sponsored by Mcains???

1 Like

Houses on there now, last time I heard they were moving to a new ground after playing in Bridlington

Similarly, I took a mate who is a Leeds fan to Stockport the day we got a monsoon just after halftime and he’s never stopped mentioning it. It was that bad the ref took the players off till it stopped. No cover at our end and we were like drowned rats!

I remember that. Never seen play stopped for rain Think Michael Ricketts scored, even more strange

Was there that day also, Same happened once at Mansfield absoloutley. Howled it down, and we where stuck on that crappy open end

LOL. Hurricane Edgeley. :smile:

1 Like

Last visit to Edgar Street they totally underestimated the numbers that turned up wanting to pay on the gate. Almost a riot trying to get the gate open and they had to open up the corner terrace that had been cordoned off.

And another away trip that I’ll never forget was a night game at York where the journey up was made in a raging snow blizzard. Every Radio 5 bulletin was announcing more and more games off but York v Walsall was consistently on after yet another inspection.

Switched to Radio York as we got closer who also said if was on. All the way through the city and had actually just turned into Bootham Crescent itself when we saw fans walking away who told us it had literally been called off 2 minutes before!

1 Like

That’s the one! :wind_face: :cloud_with_rain: :joy:

1 Like

I remember going to Yeovil, i was wearing one of those Russian bear skin hats with the hammer and sikle badge, and one of the stewards asked me if i was Russian, and for a laugh, i told him i was and i was part of a consortium looking to take over the club :rofl: and the daft sod believed me, until half time when he was standing behind me while i was ordering drinks in my Walsall accent, he called me all the cunts under the sun :rofl:

1 Like

Yes, was at that one too.

I’ve been to both Barrow and Workington albeit with Whitley Bay. Barrow, the biggest cul-de-sac in the UK had a big afinity as one FA cup tie one of their fans got stranded in snow and ended up losing his leg as a result of frostbite. One time I went there in about 94 Whitley Bay had virtually no players so me and the physio got registered through the week as a precaution against the embarrassment of having no subs and subsequently were named on the bench! Neither of us got on, just as well he was about 60 and I’d had about 8 pints.

5 Likes

Was that the one when Tommy coakley was manager, Trevor Christie up front. We lost 3-1, I think, and we all tried to take refuge in the gents because it had a sort of roof on! And I think, at the end of the game, the police, in their wisdom, decided to keep us locked in and the gates got forced by weight of numbers.

Do they still play at the same grounds as when they were in the league?

A ground I used to frequent quite often in the mid 00’s was Ludlow Town FC.
Used to live there with my ex.
Good facilities for a lower league team.
Never eat the food though, considering I was the delivery driver that went there every Thursday with their grub.