Barnsley (A) 8th Sept, 3pm

"In triumph from the North
… all red"

(Macaulay)

Off to South Yorkshire for what is arguably our toughest fixture of this strange season so far, at Oakwell, home of The Tykes since 1888. We are level on points with Barnsley, but their goal difference is far superior having scored 14 and only conceded 3 in their 6 games. The man to watch out for is undoubtedly Kieffer Moore, who added to his impressive goal tally last weekend by scoring twice as Gillingham were dispatched 2-1. His striking abilities are now highlighted as Barnsley no longer have the services of Tom Bradshaw since his loan move to Millwall. For our older members of course, there is another connection with Barnsley in the form of Allan “Sniffer” Clarke, who was their manager on 2 occasions back in the 1970’s and 1980’s. Tykes fans are somewhat concerned that international call-ups are going to deprive them of 2 influential players - Adam Davies (Welsh goalkeeper) and Kenny Dougall (Australian midfielder) - their absence could well benefit the Saddlers’ cause. Barnsley’s impressive League One form:-

Aug 4th Oxford United (H) Won 4-0
Aug 11th Bradford City (A) Won 0-2
Aug 18th AFC Wimbledon (H) Drew 0-0
Aug 21st Rochdale (A) Won 0-4
Aug 25th Scunthorpe United (A) Drew 2-2
Sep 1st Gillingham (H) Won 2-1

(nb - in that most recent game against Gillingham, Barnsley had 25 shots, 7 on target, 9 corners)

Since our win at Burton-on-Trent Dean Keates will be much more aware of his options for team selection, having seen the performances of Connor Johnson and Connor Ronan, not to mention Dylan Parker.The previously favoured striking partnership of Andy Cook and Morgan Ferrier will have benefitted from a week’s rest and should be raring to go.

Predicting this one is trickier than usual - there is no doubting Barnsley’s strength and prowess which have contributed to their League One position, but how much will they be affected by the loss of 2 of their senior players? On the basis that winning at home and drawing away will make for a very successful season, I will be happy with a draw at Oakwell … say 1-1 with Ferrier on target.

UTS

2 Likes

I fear a defeat here. They are very strong team for this division so I think it will be 1-2.

About 10 games into our very good start to the 15/16 we played Wigan away and managed to get a 0-0 draw. See this game as a similar yardstick, a draw would be a great result.

If we can get a draw then it’s a brilliant job. Hope the boys see this as a bit of a free swing considering they have earned that right and you never know we may just come away with something.

I’d start Gordon up front with Ferrier. The kid has 2 goals in his 2 starts in the cups and I feel he’s earned a chance and it might just shake Cook up a touch. Besides we are going to be on the back foot for a lot of this game and I think his pace on the counter attack will be much more useful than Cook’s fox in the box attributes. But imagine before the season having more than one option.

Also hope he goes for Ronan over Osbourne. His fitness looks atrocious, he was out on his feet at the end of the Blackpool game and I’m not a massive fan anyway.

An optimistic 1-1 prediction.

1 Like

I don’t think we will lose this one, a draw for me Or even a sneaky win, come on lads let’s make history and keep this run going :smiley:

1-2 to Walsall, with the winner in the 97th minute!

Agree regarding Gordon. Would 100% play him over Cook

I thought Osborne put a good shift in against Blackpool and consequently looked knackered late on. Ronan had a very good game last night but also looked shattered for the last 10. As long as players are giving their all (and they certainly have been so far) then I believe the fans will start returning,i certainly will.

I thought Dobson did all of his running personally but hey ho.

2-0 defeat.

Kieffer Moore “the basketball player” best striker the defence will have faced all season. Fear he’ll be the difference like other games this season.

I do hope so, I have a tenner on us to win with both teams to score at 18/1.

3-0 Barnsley. I’d snap your hand off for a draw.

Kinsella is not available for us.

Missing my first game of the season as I’m in Wales but will be keeping an eye as I watch Carmarthen Town vs Newtown!

Would love a win, would absolutely take a draw. ‘First real test’ is harsh, but it’s a game that’ll definitely give us a good indication of just how good we are!

Would take any draw here (no hopes of a clean sheet against possibly one of the best attacking sides in the division…)

Fancy a 2-2 but fear a first defeat 2-1 :worried: Sorry!!!

Will miss this one, in Europe unfortunately, could have made it otherwise, damn and blast. However, I think this will be a test too far for our new set up. So despite probably giving it a go, with their home advantage and blooming confidence from a good start, a 1-3 setback seems the most likely outcome.
Seems annoying when you look back to last season, they & Sunderland were the whipping boys of the Championship, yet it seems likely that both will eventually fill the two automatic promotion places, so the gulf in class, and finance, between the two Divisions seems to be expanding (see last season also).

1 Like

It is, for them :joy::joy:

4-2 defeat

Technically you’re in Europe either way.

1 Like

Pretty sure there’s a thread for this… :rofl:

2 Likes

:joy: Staying well clear of that ■■■■!!

2 Likes