Best and Worst Game

He couldn’t hit a barn door for us

1 Like

He was pathetic for us and it shows his calibre as a man that he tried to rub our noses in it when he fluked a couple of goals.

He played up front with Rambo. Chalk and cheese or what? Can there ever have been such a gulf in class (as players and men) between two Saddlers before or since.

I remember piling down to the front as Lillis got his second. Quite why we celebrated so vigorously I honestly don’t know. I think he enjoyed it more than we did.

1 Like

Best game…Cardiff obviously but I always remember 1-1 with Leeds in the cup in the 90’s and us battering Fulham 5-1 at home, 90’s again, with a Killer hat-trick.
Worst…Wembley obviously even though I got to see Walsall at Wembley but one that sticks is losing 2-1 to Carlisle in the 90’s the year when they got to the AutoGlass Final against Brum.
■■■■ journey back down the M6 home.
Thankfully Brum done them in the final.

1 Like

That wild celebration for a late equaliser at Wigan is why I chose it. Two awful teams (I think a 63 year old Peter Skipper scored for them) on a Tuesday night. But it just felt like a moment. A “this’ll ■■■■■■■ do” moment.

Don’t get me wrong. I loved Cardiff, Anfield, Swindon and the rest but I’m often left with a sense that some of our support have taken a short cut. And why shouldn’t they? Why spend a lot of time and a lot of money on ■■■■ when you can opt out and opt back in again at various points of “better”? In fact that is eminently sensible. Logical. But then a night like Bury Away when we got promoted. I was ecstatic at the final whistle. Then spent the next 20 minutes hoping our fans would clear the pitch so that we could celebrate with the team thinking “who the ■■■■ are half of this lot?”

I dunno, maybe I’m a fan snob or just a miserable ■■■■.

5 Likes

He was autoreplaced with M*** R*****s for years on UTS after he left.

Keates rattling top corner slightly beats Cardiff for me, I was still quite young at Millenium stadium. Sheff wed at home is one I won’t forget what a game that was, for me that game saved us that season. Must have been one of Smiths first games? I can’t actually remember

Worst, Wembley. We were cack (albeit against a side too good) and it was full of villa.

2 Likes

Hated the ‘new’ Wembley experience, which only reinforces the childhood trauma of the 92-93 play-offs. Ten times worse than the two legs against Barnsley, outplayed and completely battered by Crewe, a team we’d beaten twice in the regular season. The six goal deficit was a play-off record for quite a while.

Add the two Auto Windscreens semi-finals we lost in the mid-nineties and the 2001 Play-Off Final being played at the Millennium, we really weren’t destined to play at the old Wembley.

The sub-tropical dismantling of Albion was my favourite game. If Osborn’s shot had gone straight in for the third it would have been the greatest goal ever scored at Bescot.

1 Like

Many already mentioned. League cup run especially away at Arsenal. FA cup v Man Utd, Newcastle and Watford 4-4. However would include two league games from 1961. Away at Shrewsbury in April to clinch promotion when thousands of fans lined the A5 in a guard of honour and 4 months later when a Tony Richards hat trick sealed a 4-3 win on Brian Clough’s debut for Sunderland.
Worst for sadness was the replayed game v Charlton in 1963 after abandonment. Apart from that any game under Sibley or Barnwell’s management.

2 Likes

Best: Anfield 1984, we played the European champions off the park.
Worst: There are many times I’ve walked out of the stadium vowing never to return after witnessing another dreadful performance, but like most of us I’m back the next week.
Wembley disappointed me greatly, I know Bristol city were a good side, but we offered absolutely nothing!

2 Likes

Not sure we played Liverpool off the park like we did Arsenal two rounds before. Or another deserved cup win at Stoke in 1966. Anyone else remember the home game with Bristol Rovers in 1973 for the best 5 minutes. 3-1 down in about the 89th minute and won 4-3 in added time which was then still in the hands of the on field referee. More or at least of the last 5 minutes was Chris Jones if my memory is right.

1 Like

Motm! !! not more.

I remember all those games…the cup win at Stoke is one of my all time favourites. Talking of Stoke another favourite is the 4-1 play off win starring the one and only Pedro Matias . I haven’t posted on this thread before because there are too many to mention in both categories! but thanks for all the memories folks.

4 Likes

I had forgotten to mention the stoke game in the play offs. If only for Graham Kavanaghs Ill fated “ssshhh”. One of the finest moments in Walsall history shutting that gommo down.

14 Likes

A tuesday night, kicked off late because of a bomb scare. 3-2 down after 90 minutes. I think that was the night Alan Birch made his debut. Was it Bernie and Chris Jones in injury time, or did CJ get both?

Got to be the most ridiculous celebration I have ever seen. What a tool.

2 Likes

37 seconds in.

Poor quality clip but worth seeing again.
9 Likes

I could cry when i see how much tallent we had then

4 Likes

I had forgotten Stoke scored 2 but it doesn’t matter does it? Lets hope our younger fans will see such days again. What a superb finish for our second goal from Pedro…perhaps we will see MacDonald do something similar in a key match in the next few years!!!

1 Like

I’d forgotten their second goal too.

As was mentioned by @chunkster what a team. Highlights also give some prominence to Brightwell, often forgotten when we reminisce over that era.

3 Likes