Best and worst loan players

Michael Cain was a good player until he had an absolute wobbler at being taken out of the team at Wembley and then did some fraud as a hobby.

We’ve had loads of people who’ve gone on to play at higher levels when you look back at it - Pennington from Everton, loads of goalies, Bryn Morris was a waste of time but is a proven championship player now…how different things could have been!

Steve Claridge.
Jermaine McSporran.
Bloody hell.

1 Like

The sheer number of loans in the last few years is the more scary part, compared to the 2000’s where we’d have 2 or 3, we’ve had 8 this year. EIGHT!

Jason Mccarthy was a great player, thought he’d get go further by now as he was only young when he was with us, back at Wycombe permanently in his 3rd/4th spell there.

3 Likes

I think you’re thinking of someone else. Bryn Morris was a waste of time but he’s certainly not a proven Championship player - since he left us he’s played for Shrewsbury and Portsmouth, with a short loan spell at Wycombe. He’s currently on loan at Northampton from Pompey.

I knew there is some other page too. Maybe not that simple, but less clicking link.

Er…shouldn’t that read allegedly. Just to be on the safe side?

Gary O’Neil to add to the decent list.

On the other hand I’d like to add Samassi Abou.

Chris Baird
Andrew Surman
Gary O’Neill

All class & all improved the team. Just what you want a loan player to do.

Joe Murphy anyone?

Not a lot of people know that.

4 Likes

Notice the vast majority on the “best list” hark back a decade a more. Utter garbage from Keates and Clarke.

Fantastic player for us, brilliant attitude. Deserves a great career in the game.

I always love a good loan player discussion. And when I say good, I mean the bad ones:

• David Martin.
  • Josh Wakefield.
  • Will Randall.
  • Jamie Lambert.
  • Lee Todd.
  • Aaron Brown.
  • Liam Dickinson.
  • Andy Halliday.
  • Paul McShane.

There’s been some horrors!

2 Likes

Perhaps we got mixed up and instead of a footballer, brought in the Paul McShane who played camp comedian ‘Ted Bovis’ in Hi-De-Hi.

3 Likes

I think Paul McShane scored for both teams in one game (Sheff Wendy on Boxing Day?) and was sent off in another. Mostly he seemed to look a bit confused when he had the ball as to why we were so static and disorganised, he obviously hadn’t realised Merson was our manager. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Might be because back then a lot of our loans were from Premiership/Championship teams.

Now we get cast offs from rivals in the same division.

All from Southampton and Portsmouth, both Premier League at the time.

We need to regain the reputation that attracts those big clubs to send us their talent to look after again.

Also I seem to remember when we were getting the likes of Baird and O’Neil they were regulars in the team.

Over the last decade we seem to have had a lot of loanees that were barely used. Not exactly attractive to teams sending their players out.

1 Like

Read an interview with Christian Bielek - he wanted to go on loan to a continental club, but his manager told him he was going to Walsall - hence his down-tools!
I gave him an extra-special boo when he viseted Bescot with someone else. He only scored once so I take that as a success.

Karl Darlow was fairly successful for us, though I fear he’s drifted into the ‘entertainments’ business since he left us.

2 Likes

Merson was probably one of my all time favourite loans then ended up one of my all time hated managers :joy: