Best and worst loan players

One that did prove ok in albeit 4 games was Colin Cramb from Bristol City and then got a £200 or £250k move to Crewe.

Walter Otta… we have had some good uns

3 Likes

He wasn’t a loan?

1 Like

Permanent signing this one Chunkster…

1 Like

Kevin Harper on one side and Pierre Essers on the other.

2 Likes

Harpers performance at Maine Road in a 1-1 draw was brilliant. I think that might have been his final game for us (for a few years anyhow) as he joined Pompey permanently.

1 Like

Kevin Harper and Trevor Benjamin at Notts County in 2007

2 Likes

Bloody hell we actually SIGNED Merson :astonished: i thought that Portsmouth were paying most of his wages? just shows how far we have come :frowning_face:

Pompey did pay the bulk of his wages, but he did sign permanently for us.

1 Like

As a measure of where we were then, and where we are now, with the signing of Merson.
Who do fans think would be the equivalent of signing now?

Gareth Barry if he hadn’t retired a few months back or James Milner in the very unlikely event he fancies a league 2 midtable slog instead of trying to win the league and champions league again!

As for loans, Mantom and Flo coming in midway through 11/12 kept the team up really. Not quite a great escape but were bottom 6 for most of the season and it wasn’t looking too clever at one stage.

Think loans have been really mediocre last few seasons. Likes of Shaun Donnellan, Shaibu just punts that didn’t look close to league players.

1 Like

I thought that we’d actually signed McSporran. If I’m right, then double bloody hell!

2 Likes

Robin Shroot wasn’t very good was he?

3 Likes

Jordy Hiwula. Worst? No, too much competition to pick just one.

1 Like

Martin Devaney did an o.k job in the horror show of the first half of 10/11. He came from higher level as did Andrew Davies who came from Stoke who’d paid 3m for him but think he played one game and got injured.

McSporran only started 2 games in his spell with the Super Saddlers, including the Merson 0-5 tactical masterclass at Norwich.

1 Like

Troy Deeney … :wink:

2 Likes

Just on the sidenote, Bielik torn cruciate ligaments and next months he will spend at the doctor working to return to some level allowing him to play.

Carl Saunders absolute tat.

1 Like

Adrian Thorpe was a good winger late 80s sure he was on loan anyone remember?

1 Like

Aidey Thorpe followed Barnwell from Nott’s County. Played against us for County in the play off semi final in 88. Crossed for Dean Yates headed goal in the first leg. Only league goal for us IIRC a header to make it desmond in injury time away at Millmoor, a game which I attended as a drunken yoof on the train.

1 Like