Best and worst loan players

Not quite a loan - but didn’t Vinnie Samways join us on a short term month-by-month deal? What a player he was.

1 Like

Best loan player ever to play. For us Has to be
Alan Buckley

3 Likes
2 Likes

Went to an evening with Paul Merson event a few years back and my son asked him about Mads Timm. Apparently he was recommended to us by non other than an Sir Alex himself. Merse said that they couldn’t believe their luck as the kid was absolutely dynamite in training; unfortunately as soon as he crossed the line in a competitive match he was sh**e.

2 Likes

John Osbourne. I saw him play once for the Baggies youth team (sort of coaching them) against our reserves. He was great - spent all the time talking to the fans behind his goal, slagging off the Albion directors and management.

I also remember John Osbourne (Osborne/Osbourn/Osborn) chatting to our fans in the Street End when the ball was down the Laundry End. I also remember seeing him neck a supporters pint during a game. Never seen that since.
What a character he was!

Not a bad keeper either.

Another memory was when he hurt his shoulder during a game and was too badly injured to carry on in goal.
We had used our only sub, so for nuisance value they played him on the left wing for the remainder of the game, which meant the opposition had to put a player on him just in case.

He smoked a fag during a quiet bit of one match.

Good point, I’d forgotten he was initially a loan signing.

One of the guests on the Undr the Cosh podcast that I watched recently (can’t remember who, someone who was ex-Man Utd youth, possibly Luke Steele) had said that Timm was one of the better young players at Man Utd at the time.

1 Like

Nice to see Matt Gill getting some credit.

1 Like

Best and Worst loan player could be a certain Kevin Summerfield. He interrupted his successful loan with us to return to his parent club Birmingham City, to play against us in an Fa cup replay back at St.Andrews, scoring the Winner… and then returned to us immediately I seem to remember to finish his loan with us before signing permanently. Good player I thought.

1 Like

He came to Chuckery Juniors when I was there to give a talk in assembly. I can’t remember what he talked about but he did have a bandage/cast on his wrist.

Actually he worked out a lot cheaper than you might think - we offset a lot of what he cost us when we took his empties back! :champagne: :champagne: :champagne:

Whereas Merson never walked past a white line.

Anyone remember our first "moderndayish " loan signing ?

Erm, I thing you need to be a bit more specific!

Liam Daish went on loan to Barnet once, but not us.

Has anybody mentioned Samassi Abou? Come from West Ham played 8 times I think… what a let down :see_no_evil:

1 Like