Best of our own

But they never played in our kids team like the others did.

1 Like

Oh rite ye :see_no_evil:

Back in the day when I wasnā€™t even old enough to drive let alone buy and run a car, I used to go watch our reserves play at Fellows Park on a Saturday morning if the first team were away that day.

I was way too late for Sniffer or the other decent Clarkes but I regularly watched Kelvin - along with Ian Paul and Donn Penn, as youngsters breaking through. And serving in the tea kiosk under the stand at halftime was a still-too-young-for-the-reserves Kenny Mower!

2 Likes

My Dad worked with Stuartā€™s sister so we used to get a few tip offs about how training was going, potential signings etc.

Remember watching him when i was playing as a defender/midfielder at under 10s. So calm on the ball, read the game well and tackled with precision so id try and copy.

Still got a signed Hednesford Town FA Trophy Final shirt with Ryder 6 on the back from when they beat Canvey Island 3-2 at Villa Park, great game that was.

1 Like

My claim to fame is i won a signed shirt from our only ever venture into the screwfix masters at birminghm NIA , and i got the shirt i was wearing(the green banksā€™s one) also signed by the team :grin:

Is that when the Leeds fans were ripping the stadium seats out and throwing them at them when they tried to do a lap of honour with the cup ā€¦:rofl:

Yes my Dad used to take me up fellows park on Saturday mornings for the 11am kick off. Enjoyed the fact we played all the local teams in villa Wba, wolves blues and coventry back then. Loved having the run of the mill of the ground, thought i was sitting in luxury in those wooden seats ! :grinning:

2 Likes

Played in the same school team with Kenny Mower all through our senior school days ā€¦

Iā€™ve still got it you know , wonder if DC would give me a trial for that other strikers roll heā€™s still missingā€¦:thinking:

1 Like

Did you have an afro too? :rofl:

1 Like

No but I tan really well ā€¦

1 Like

Ya little star :wink: i played against him and mini in a friendly they played in wales in the late 70ā€™s, i only got picked because the welsh team " garthmill rovers" didnā€™t have enough players and i was staying on the campsite they played the match on :joy: i did provide the cross that we got the penalty for the equaliser from though :smile:

1 Like

Inch-perfectā€¦

2 Likes

No the bloke had to jump up and catch the ball before it went over the gardens ā€¦:joy:

1 Like

Ah, so it was a backpass and the keeper got tackledā€¦

2 Likes

You know what @chunkster like , heā€™ll try and make a drama out of his one touch of the ball , they didnā€™t even want him to play but the other kids had to go in for tea ā€¦

2 Likes

When I was a teen Hayward came to look at purchasing my parents house. I put up a poster of Ryder on my door and refused to let Hayward in my room. My parents werenā€™t best pleased but I did the right thing.

10 Likes