Best Walsall game ever

There have been many, but the best match I’ve ever attended was Liverpool v Walsall at Anfield in 1984.
What a game, what an atmosphere. Fantastic end-to-end football, some of the stuff we played under Buckley that year was fabulous to watch. Liverpool did not embarrass us at all, in fact, we embarrassed them if truth be told.
I think we won a lot of fans that day. We were certainly a credit to our division and at full-time, the Liverpool fans stood and clapped us off the pitch - I wished they had acted as cordially on our way to the game!
It was a wonderful day, never to be forgotten. My best day as a Walsall supporter.

3 Likes

Agreed although the match at Cardiff against Reading runs it close. I wonder if we will ever see such matches again?

3 Likes

4-1beating of the baggies has to be up there… I also remember a game fondly against man City at fellows Park. A 3-3 draw Andy Saville scoring 2 on his home debut. In the days when the craze was for inflatables waving in the crowd. Who remembers those?

3 Likes

Who could ever forget that wonderful day in Cardiff, great result but the Anfield game was a lot better (imo).

1 Like

They even had the 1st team squad on advertising hoardings for British Airways I think saying “Just 90 minutes from Europe”…:grinning:

3 Likes

I remember this game and have just had a look at it on YouTube to confirm what I thought, that their gk went off and was replaced by an outfield player at 2-0 to us. Then they come back to lead 3-2 before a late Andy Saville goal and yes there were a lot of inflatable bananas in the away end :man_shrugging:t2:

I agree with that @davidusa. I was a student at Liverpool university at the time and I had been to see Liverpool a lot during my three years there. They were almost invincible for the three years I was there but to see my beloved Walsall hold them to a draw was absolutely magnificent. I don’t think people realise how good Liverpool were at the time.

I enjoyed discussing the game in a pub in Anfield later with Liverpool fans who were suprised at just how good we were then.

Happy Days.

2 Likes

Cardiff no contest imo

1 Like

My first ever game was that exact game 3-3 against Man City they all had inflatable bananas if I remember rightly was it the 88/89 season that??

Aside from the obvious ones, a game that always sticks in my head was a 4-3 against Huddersfield at home. Fryatt bagged a Hattrick including a stunning volley from outside the box

1 Like

Ooooohhh good one :+1:t2:

Not best ever but winning 5-1 away at Notts County was a very enjoyable day out, could’ve easily score 9 or 10 that day.

Were some cracking away wins in that period, can remember going up to Preston and completely playing them off the pitch, 3-1 was pretty flattering to them.

September 2013 at Custard bowl was pretty decent aswell.

1 Like

I’m sure we’ve had a similar thread to this before before but for pure excitement the 4-4 FA cup replay at Watford takes some beating for me.

2 Likes

@Gavin77 Here’s one I took of them from by the half way line of the cowshed on the day of that 3-3 draw.

6 Likes

That’s awesome thanks for that shame you can’t smell the cigar smoke.

1 Like

@Scooby2167 No problem. It was an amazing game and a great atmosphere.

1 Like

This was a memorable goal from a memorable game, George Andrews winner v. Newcastle in the FA Cup in Jan 7531165611_1015944311886816_2603531612684481904_n

3 Likes

Excellent thank you… Seem to remember we came out with some inflatable white swifts if memory serves me right.

1 Like

@Gavin77 Yes I remember them inflatable white swifts! Think Stoke had pink panthers?!

5-1 at home against Fulham
1994/1995 Sat 17 Sep Walsall 5 - 1 Fulham League
Killer hat trick.
I got lifted by the Transport Police that day for flashing my arse at their train going back into New Street (nearly stopped me getting in the RAF till I explained all at the Careers Office. The Corporal and and Flying Officer laughed their ■■■■■■■■ off and called me a stupid ■■■■))