Bolton Wanderers (A) F A Cup 3rd round, Jan 5th, 3pm

"Wanderers in that happy valley"

(Poe)

Time to put the trials and tribulations of League One aside for a few days and consider the magic of the original cup competition. It has been quite some time since we graced the 3rd round and went into the cloth bag with the big and glamorous clubs … Liverpool, Man Utd., Man City, Bolton Wanderers(?) well, you can’t have everything, and their supporters probably feel the same level of let-down that we do.

Since being promoted out of our division the season before last The Trotters have found it increasingly difficult to keep their heads above water, and they currently languish in the Championship relegation zone 3 points below the line and Rotherham United. Even their signing of the Turkish Messi has not meant much, although he did score for them in the defeat at Leeds in the EFL Cup - but he has been used sparingly in the league games by manager Phil Parkinson. Wanderers’ current Championship form, for what it’s worth:-

8 Dec Norwich City (A) Lost 3-2
15 Dec Leeds United (H) Lost 0-1
22 Dec Brentford (A) Lost 1-0
26 Dec Rotherham Utd (H) Won 2-1
29 Dec Stoke City (H) Drew 0-0
1 Jan Hull City (A) Lost 6-0

In 26 Championship games so far this season Wanderers have scored a measly 17 goals, which is by some distance the lowest in their league. Josh Magennis is top scorer with 4, followed by Sammy Ameobi with 3. They do, however, have at least a partial appetite for Midlands clubs, having beaten Birmingham City at home and West Brom at the Hawthorns earlier this season.

Dean Keates would seem to have more options at his disposal than for some time - although Josh Ginnelly has left, we have a reportedly fit Matt Jarvis available, plus new Belgian acquisition Omar Mussa. The Charlton game saw Joe Edwards in action for over 70 minutes, and Matt Jarvis had the chance to analyse our performance from the stands.

The outcome of this game might depend (more than most) on which team “turns up” on the day. Bearing current form in mind, neither side can be expected to be full of confidence - and the Trotters may well consider Championship survival to be more important than this Cup Competition. Although we have been on the receiving end of some recent defeats and last-minute draws, the quality of Saddlers’ football has been pleasing and positive - the difficulty lies in the spontaneous 10-minute spells of switching off and thereby shipping a couple…

Prediction? This really is a game we can go out and win, even though Phil Parkinson will have read the riot act to his squad following the cave-in at Hull. We won’t keep a clean sheet, but Bolton’s existing goal difference of -21 gives us enough scope to net a couple. So a 1-2 away win please, with Andy Cook and Luke Leahy on target.

UTS

2 Likes

I think we will win 1-0 will do.

3-2 win 2 for oztumer 3 for the Cookie Monster … Man Utd away in the next round … what price would you get for that ???

Sorry to ■■■■ on the strawberries but with our defensive frailties I fear that we will go out with a whimper

3-1 defeat

1 Like

especially with them having their backsides well and truely spanked 6 - 0

Hope i’m / we’re wrong though :+1:

Replay methinks.

Can’t see more than two goals in this game, Bolton are awful so very winnable game IF the team can actually defend well for a change.

4-3 to us. Why not. We’re both ■■■■ and both conceding for fun.

Would love us to win, (specially as I will be there) but, reality dictates that whilst we ship goals for fun, a dismal defeat looms, after some appalling results recently they will be desperate to appease very disgruntled fans with a good win against lower quality opposition.
So come on you reds (please let us play in our own colours) lets stick 'em with a sneaky1-0 win. (but please don’t let us get Man Utd at home in the next round, the faithful 3K wouldn’t get near a ticket!)

We’re winning 3-1. Cook with all 3. I ■■■ in my pants.

2 Likes

Can you park on the Middlebrook retail park for free on matchdays? Says it’s free on their site but the ground guide sites don’t mention the retail park.

If you can’t there is an overflow that is literally just opposite the retail park that was free last time I went.

Cheers. Find it strange how nowhere seems to mention the retail park for parking when it comes to the ground. Will be up early so should get a space on the retail park.

You can mate, the missus is from Bolton so spend quite a bit of time up there and her dad parks on there every match day

1 Like

Cheers mate! That’s free parking sorted then!

1 Like

Looking forward to the Bolton game . Me the wife and 4 young kids. My first away game (since we beat the dingles with that Andy butler goal). Wife and kids have started going to the home games this year but not much to cheer about lately. This will be there first ever away game. Just hope we can put in a performance for my kids as much as anything.( they are so excited).Come on you saddlers do my family proud :clap:t2::clap:t2::clap:t2::grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning:

5 Likes

With Fitzwater out who should play Martin or Johnson? I would go with the latter.

Same. He was outstanding against Sunderland at home. Bet it’s Martin though.

Neither because we’re resigning Chris Westwood

2 Likes

You’ve made me glad I’m not going.:joy:

1 Like

Lies :smirk: