Brandon Comley

Not involved in either friendly.
Injured?
On his way out?

Be interested to know

Was ill on Tuesday and he was there today, saw him in the car park before the game.

I thought Comley improved quick considerably in the last say quarter of the season.I felt as if I went from worrying about his performances to feeling extremely calm when he had the ball.

1 Like

He did improve I agree, but will he get any better… we certainly hope so for ours and his sake.

Will be interesting to see how Comley and all the players that were here last season improve or not with the new set up.

1 Like

Comleys remarkable recovery from ‘toughest time’.

A fantastic article in the E&S about our Brandon and his battling qualities which stand us in good stead now he is back fit again. A huge asset and a hugely likeable character.

Had a nice bonding moment with the fans at the end of yhe sheppy fans where someone had a Montserrat flag and he came over at the end and talked to them and they let him have the flag.

Those sort of things are what get the team and fans to connect and if you can get that sort of connection it help with the unity around the club and can help results on the pitch.

There have been squads where we haven’t had that sort of connection but for all our bitching and moaning there does seem to be a bit of a bond building with some of these players.

21 Likes

It was bound to happen.

1 Like

A nice bloke he may be, but you need the ability to mark the opposition players, tackle and the most important pass to a team member. He runs around aimlessly in the middle of the park, fouls too often and his passing is awful. If I were manager, he would not get in the squad

He does a lot that goes unnoticed by a lot of fans. When Daniels pushes forward he is the one who covers. He also provides far more attacking threat than someone in his position would be expected to (he provided the assist for DJ v Crawley). He is also coming back from injury. Perhaps we could try supporting him?

21 Likes

He had started to play really well coming up to his injury as if things were starting to click for him but as is always the way you get struck with a problem and your out for a few months.It’ll take him a good few weeks to get back to where he was but that’s natural isn’t it surely?

5 Likes

Been absolutely brilliant in the last few games.

Looks like we’ve found the right balance of Comley, Earing and Hutchinson in midfield :+1:t2:

17 Likes

I think that’s a bit simplistic with respect. Other teams will set up differently expecting us to play that way. Fully expect Stirk and Tierney to come back when they are available.

I think what helps Comley to play a lot better is he isn’t spending half his time worrying about where and what McEntee is doing next to him in the middle! :wink:
I also think that with Hutch and Earing (the Brylcream brothers!!) playing ahead of him and in a more attacking role, it gives him more space and time to simply do his job effectively - move, collect the ball, look up, move the ball and pass it to one of a number of options that keeps possession and the next phase of play going. As I mentioned in the match thread, I think, setting up and playing to players’ strengths definitely helps the team to succeed!:yum:

As for Stirk, I think he is a better player than we have seen, again partly because of the team and set up he has had to play in. I bet if he played with Hutch and Earing in the midfield three, we’d see him being more effective and consistent too.

10 Likes

We are giving teams something to think about and playing on the front foot with the current line up . Leave it as it is .other players will have to force there way in like DJ and tbf DJT have done so today. UTS

3 Likes

Been critical of DJT but today he showed what he can do very quick and powerful when hes on that form hopefully this is giving him confidence to be a player for us now.

That burst of speed for the goal is something I can’t recall seeing from him before.

I’m glad he buried it or I reckon DJ would have throttled him! Great finish too.

9 Likes

I am sure that I read somewhere that DJT’s mum was a British international sprinter.
Can’t remember her name when she was competing though.
I guess thats where he gets his pace from.

1 Like

I know it’s a Comley thread but forgot to mention we have REM Oteh who will be due to come back into the side aswell. Useful addition definitely

9 Likes

All three are perfectly good players for this level (lower top half) so don’t see the issue. Central midfield as we’ve seen in last five years is all about balance.

Smith got it right early on with Chambers-Mantom-Sawyers and stuck with it for a couple of seasons. Had to be remodelled under Whitney but Edwards and Oztumer replacing the last two were again top half league 1 players and the team just declined in other areas.

The midfield options from start of 2019- up to late 2022 have not been good at all.

Big issue has been playing CMs constantly who can’t or don’t want to score. So far this season Earing has two from two starts and we’ve seen him chip in with 4-5 in other seasons, Hutch is now on 8 league goals so he’s looking very good to be in 12-15 range now if he stays fit.

Leaves Coms to do the dirty work and perhaps chip in with one a season as Chambers used to do in his peak seasons.

And of course McEntee was also scoring pretty regularly! If you’re reading this Matt he can still score playing in the backline… :ok_hand:

You do not tinker with this midfield at all over the next month. If a wide player who can chip in with 5 + in the run in can be found at the end of the window that will add another dimension to the squad aswell given the prolific CF looks like he’s off.

My lad mentioned him to me on the way into the ground on Friday, I must admit I had completely forgotten about him! He had done pretty well for us.