Brentford vs Swansea City - Sat 29th May - 3pm - Championship Play-Off Final

interesting that a number of clubs who were in the second tier are now non-league; Southend, Notts Co, Grimsby. Bristol Rovers, Luton and I think, Cambridge have all been there but got back into the league again. Not sure about Cambridge? (genuine memory lapse, not trying to continue a theme here) :innocent:

Not the end of the world at all, I think we all have a bit of brain fog now and then when recalling football from years ago, I know I do. To be fair though, it was you who was calling people out when you thought you were right :wink:

2 Likes

It was harder than I had imagined to find accurate history of Cambridge. From what I found they didn’t gain Football League status until 1970. So to have a highest league position of 5th in what is now the Championship is some achievement really, although it was probably not as difficult as it is in today’s game.

They did have a spell out of the league from 2005 to 2014. They got relegated in 2005 after a points deduction if the info I read is correct.

Wasn’t Richard Money manager there? I can’t remember what years he was there now.

Not sure about Richard Money, but he was their Manager during their last stint in non-league. The other interesting thing about the League Table above is where Grimsby finish. Alan Buckley was their manager during this period. I always thought that if he had managed to get us promoted then he could have kept us in the second tier for a few seasons. His style of play would’ve ensured a sufficient number of wins to achieve this. There were no play offs in his time with us. I always think what might have been.

1 Like

Held Man. United to 0-0 draw in FA cup in 14/15 although seems they were league club again by then.

Tranmere and Oxford also have been there.