Brentford vs Swansea City - Sat 29th May - 3pm - Championship Play-Off Final

Must have been thinking of Oxford…easily done :grinning:

1 Like

Swansea down to 10 men. I can see that Million £ in our bank now . Could after all have a great season that is if we get the MONEY…UTS

Having been taught by the man, definitely a 286 chip as opposed to a Pentium. Bonser’s uncritical little helper would be a good description

1 Like

They came very close in the John Beck/Dion Dublin days, think they made play offs of 2nd division in 91/92 season.

2 Likes

They got close but no cigar.

Your right Cambridge United have NEVER won the F. A. Cup! But WERE in the old first division season 1991/92.
No need to apologise. Your still one of the good’uns.

Can we have a list of your bad’uns :grin: :wink:

Here’s the league division 1 table for 1991/2:

For the life of me I can’t find Cambridge Utd in there.

1 Like

You won’t find them there.They have never been in the top flight!!!

2 Likes

Blackpool on verge of promotion back to championship.

There’s more of a model to follow than Brentford as they were in league two as recently as 16/17 and in utter ruins with Oyston family.

Since then new ownership, re-engaged fanbase and perhaps the most interesting thing is a year ago they appointed as manager a guy who’d never managed a pro club before and was looking after Liverpool’s under 23s. Fair to say it’s worked out very well for them so hopefully Taylor will have same impact here.

2 Likes

Sorry Saddla & WalsallOne got the wrong season, it was 1992/3, they finished 23rd and were relegated after one season.
So yes, they flirted with the top flight for one season.
I knew I was right, just buggered up my dates. I deffo want WalsallOne to acknowledge that they HAVE been in the top flight?

1 Like

They did finish 23rd in division one in 1992-93, but that wasn’t the top flight, the Premier League started that year, so division one was the second tier.

2 Likes

Didn’t the Premiershite start the year after that?

Nope. 1992-93.

Premier League 1992-93

Division One 1992-93

Sorry no chance.Highest ever place 5th in the Second tier- see post above from BLAZING_SADDLER.
When you are in a hole it best to stop digging :wink:

1 Like

They played in division 1 in 1992/3. Unfortunatly the magic thing about that season was the top flight was called the Premiership for the first time!
They played in division 1 of the EFL. Unfortnately it wasn’t the top flight.

1 Like

My Cambridge supporting friend has told me at length about their highest finish & their cup runs, though the details now escape me but I knew when I saw the original post that they had never been in the top division.

I did hear that they won the boat race :grinning:

2 Likes

Apologies to one and all, obviously my Ladybird book of witches was not too strong on football memorabilia.
Was obviously the 1st Division, or was that the second Division, or perhaps the first Division was no longer the 1st Division making the second division the 1st Division.
OK everyone? Not the end of the world is it. I made a mistake and I’m sorry.

2 Likes