Bristol Rovers (H) F.A. Cup 1st round, 7th November, 3pm

Arab boys at sport

Rossetti

Yes, it’s here again … the “real” Cup competition, the first round in a series of games leading to Wembley, Europe, or, in our case, back to League Two the week after! We welcome “The Gas” from League One, and a significant factor in the result of this match will be the share of prize money earned, bearing in mind the financially troubled times affecting both clubs.

Rovers are currently in 15th place in League One, a mere 3 points above the relegation line - and their recent League form is (like ours) somewhat topsy-turvey…

October 10th Lincoln City (A) Won 1-2
October 17th Burton Albion (H) Drew 1-1
October 20th Shrewsbury Town (A) Won 0-1
October 27th Hull City (H) Lost 1-3
October 31st Rochdale (A) Drew 1-1
November 3rd Peterborough United (H) Lost 0-2

Connections between the two clubs - well, where do you draw the line? Their current squad includes Luke Leahy, and Erhun Oztumer (on loan from Charlton Athletic). Previous players who have graced both grounds include Ken Stephens, Andy Tillson, Andy Reece (2 loans), Garry Pendrey (who went on to our coaching staff), Miah Dennehy, and with 133 appearances - Ray Graydon. Our current squad, of course, includes James Clarke and Stuart Sinclair, who followed Darrell Clarke when he made the move from Bristol to Bescot.

Prediction? As always, it depends on whether Tinkerman has got it right yet, and also if the habit of gift-wrapping goals has been firmly kicked into the long grass. Keeping a clean sheet against Crawley was certainly positive, but our limitations in the striking department in the absence of Gordon showed when it was left to Sadler to get our winner. Sticking the neck out, let’s hope for a 2-1 home win, because we don’t want this to go to penalties, do we??? Goals from Elijah and Rory, please.

UTS

2 Likes

After watching us on tuesday, i fear the worst, i think they will be to strong for us.

2 Likes

Would go to this one if we was allowed back in the ground just to give leahy some stick and to show my appreciation to the Turkish mesi . 2-1 to the saddlers.

2 Likes

If he plays.

In the 5 matches since his loan move, he’s made 4 appearance but all from the bench for no more than the last 20 minutes. In those games Brizzle have won just once (against the Sloppies so not the biggest scalp), drawn 1, and lost 3.

BTW Leahy also not got a starting place in recent games either.

We laid the ex-player hoodoo to rest anyway with Cook on Saturday, and Brizzle aren’t exactly pulling up trees - so think we are in with a chance of nicking it.

Ozzy was good for us no doubt but hes done sod all anywhere else in his career and Leahy is dross we can win this 2-1 Saddlers.Hope Leahy plays cant see him containing Mcdonald or Osedebe.

A cup run is needed…2-0 to us will do.

What are the odds on Tinkerman not playing either of them, or Jules.?

1 Like

I am trying to buy a video pass but the system keeps rejecting my payment.

They don’t score many, neither do we.

0-0, replay to come (if we’re even having replays these days?).

Hopefully Leahy gets put in the stand.

1 Like

Nah decided on the day.

In typical Walsall fashion this will be the start of barnstorming cup run won’t it? Two comfortable wins and then going toe to toe with top premier league sides in rounds 3 and 4, losing 4-5 to Man. City in last minute after poor defending from a corner kick…infront of no one.

Important to win this for the extra revenue although it’s not a huge amount, just 22k for this round I think.

You’ll probably get charged nine times on Saturday and still have no livestream!

We’re gonna lose @RedandWhite.

It worked last time out, let’s see.

1 Like

No prediction from me, it’s the cup anything can happen!

I can’t see us not conceding, maybe 2-2 draw with the game settled on penalties.

So that’s us out of the Cup then… :clown_face:

1 Like

We’ve already beaten them on penalties this season (our only triumph out of 3).

1 Like

Tactics for tomorrow - score the first goal then demand the ref stop the count and declare us the winners regardless of how many they score after that. It might just work … :laughing:

3 Likes

Can’t find enthusiasm for this game, dunno why. Maybe overloaded week had some part. Still, I hope IFollow will work and will be some reason to smile.

1 Like

3-0 loss and the Rovers fans all saying “god I’m so glad we ain’t got him in charge anymore”

2 Likes

Andy, you are lacking in ambition. Any goals they score are illegal goals so do not count. Only legal goals will count, i.e. any we score.:wink: