Carlisle United (A) 25th Jan, 3pm

“Carlisle city never looked so pretty”
- Helen Wheels, Paul McCartney & Wings (1973)

A brief preview for Saturday’s trip to Carlisle, less than a month since the home leg at Bescot.

Carlisle United

The Cumbrians are 21st in League Two, 10 places and nine points behind the Saddlers, though they do have a game in hand. Their record this season reads: P27 W6 D8 L13 F24 A44 Pts26.

Carlisle are in generally poor form, their only win in the last 10 games earned at Bescot in late December. That said, they recently took Championship side Cardiff to a replay in the FA Cup, managing to score five goals against the Bluebirds over the two ties.

Their home record is even worse than ours, with just three league wins at Brunton Park this season.

Recent League Form

Dec 26 Bradford (A) Drew 1-1
Dec 29 Walsall (A) Won 2-1
Jan 01 Crewe (A) Lost 4-1
Jan 11 Plymouth (H) Lost 3-0
Jan 18 Oldham (A) Drew 1-1

Previous Meeting

Walsall last travelled to Brunton Park on April 18th, 2014. A 1-1 draw in League One best remembered for Michael Ngoo’s late equaliser which, unsurprisingly, was the only goal he scored in English football.

Prediction

2-1 Walsall, Darrell’s at the wheel etc…

Match Poll

• Walsall Win
  • Draw
  • Carlisle Win

0 voters

We’ll need to keep McKirdy quiet though, I really rate him. Don’t think we’ll manage it all game but enough to see us win 2-1.

3 Likes

Agree, he’s a pound store Grealish but decent non the less.

3 Likes

We surely cannot lose again to this poor team. 2-0 will do.

2 Likes

That short short little runt does have something about him dont he…Hope Saddler can keep him quiet!

Im going 1-3 Walsall

6am start for this one so lets be having you Walsall

2 Likes

Possibly the poorest team to come down the bescot this season . Would have beat them if not for the sending off . Going 2-1 to the saddlers. Wes at the double .

2-1 win.

Are you walking? :smirk:

No train, But its a few hours on the train up and wanna get up there for a few and some brekkie etc etc…

I like too explore the towns and places we visit not just get the game at 2-45pm

3 Likes

I stopped reading when The Smiths weren’t the lyrics :wink:

Always a tough place to go and I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see us lose and be down to ten men at some point.

But I get to go! Nearest league ground to me and just a mere 9 hour round trip. Can’t wait!!!

Couldn’t use it twice!

“But there’s panic on the streets of Carlisle”

- Panic, The Smiths (1986)

Following an unexpected Boxing Day victory, Walsall end the year (and indeed the decade) at home to a Carlisle United side struggling for form.

I’ll let you off, just this once!

giphy

1 Like

Well you will like Carlisle. Lovely place to look at. Been in the past. Not able to go tomorrow though. I will say 2-1 to us. That funny looking/acting lad will have to be kept quiet.

Keep it tight keep picking up the points. I predict a 1-1.

Thanks to £10 Northern Rail offer from Hull, I am taking the scenic route on the Settle-Carlisle line. A 2-0 win will make the slow return journey fly by!

3 Likes

3-1 win.

My old ‘home’ game, so having a long weekend at home while I’m up there.

Do 99p shops still exist?

I’d be happy with avoiding defeat. Not expecting a walkover.

They attacked pretty well as a unit at the Bescot just a few games ago.