Chairman Talks to Walsall Fan TV

Nope, you’ve made a big mistake in there by failing to distinguish between executive and non-executive directors. Gilman, Whalley etc could potentially be described as hangers on because they have no money invested in the club and it can be hard to see what they actually bring to the present day board. Gamble and Mole are entirely different. They do a day to day job at the club. We can argue whether they do a good job or not, but they work for their money and there would be no expectation at all that they would put money into the business.

1 Like

Yeah, you’re still missing the point. Pomlett had a season and has performed WORSE in the following two.

1 Like

Whilst some of the constraints may be of his own making its unreasonable to say there ALL of his making.
You surely have to agree that having to find £500 000 every year before anything else is paid for is a constraint?..its a serviceable debt.
“He’s been on the board for years”…so what?..he was a passenger on bonser’s bus…nothing more…now he’s driving and he’s making plenty of mistakes.
I think he’ll learn and improve.
I’m entitled to my opinion and your entitled to disagree.

2 Likes

@geordiesaddler & others are spot on here.

Let’s just thank Leigh for doing the videos & the live streams & get over it. Thanks Leigh appreciated.

All the communication in the world does not earn us anymore points, score us anymore goals or sort out the countless well documented off field issues, that continue to exist & are relatively cheap/easy to fix.

Another video does not explain why our Chairman has not changed/freshened his board, to give it more impetus, more contemporary ideas, give him more support, more vision. Like any other failing organisation would do.

Leigh has a hard job, on field success is not easy to achieve; but he is no novice having been on the board for 12 years & many of the issues off the pitch, (that set the tone for those on it) could so easily be resolved.

Well done to those involved in this Fan TV stream, but lets not get carried away, it changes nothing!

2 Likes

Have finally got around to watching the video.
Very informative and congrats to all for doing it.

Good to get some information about Fullerton, Monthe, paying salaries when injured, signings, a loans from local clubs.

If my understanding is correct, then all 4 signings must already have been out of contract, although I thought contracts ran until end of May.

Like others, I think Shade will be one of them and Haynes another.

3 Likes

I don’t know if you watched the video, but he did specifically explain the areas of expertise some of the other board members bring. He was particularly vocal with regards to the work that Whalley had done with respect to the Poundland deal and also the work the SLO is doing.
He clearly rates his colleagues, whether or not you and others agree.

3 Likes

So what? So he knows all about Walsall FC. He knows about the pressure, the fans, and the financial scenarios. It can’t therefore be some shock to him. “passenger on Bonser’s bus” hardly a ringing endorsement given that his initial action as a board member was to loan the football club a significant amount of money.

Pomlett doesn’t.

Great.

I think he will stay about the same, ie. provenly crap on many fronts, and hope that a random football manager digs him out of his self-made shit-de-sac ie. at the moment, Michael Flynn.

If or when that goes tits, we’re right in it.

3 Likes

Thats how 90% of football club board members get to be on the board. It’s a whole different world to regular business boards.

1 Like

Pomlett doesn’t say it isnt a constraint.
He has stated that lots of clubs rent there ground and going forward once the freehold is returned to the club there will still be some ongoing financial commitment.
Probably in the form of a mortgage.
Its not unusual for board members to loan money to the club…these “soft” creditors are found at every league club. I’m not sure what your point is with this?

Logic would say that the purchase of the freehold is going to become more expensive given that the asset value has increased and interest rates have increased recently.

3% interest on 7m would be over 200 grand a year and that’s without any repayment of the capital.
I’d be intrigued to know how LP is looking to finance this deal.
Another important point he made, which should be of concern to supporters, was about getting out once he had secured the deal, and got us back into L1. Strange that he would want to do that in my view. Does he have a potential buyer lined up?

Suits his narrative. The fact that that loan was paying off the old owner isn’t mentioned but is also relevant.

Think he just knows he hasn’t got the funds to make us fight for promotion to the championship, which is fair enough.

1 Like

Yeah, he has said that before. The two objectives, in theory could be achieved in the next year, so he could be looking to get out quickly.
Then the real fun might start.

2 Likes

You call that a big mistake Shrops? Besides Bond, nobody else is contributing financially so the don’t deserve any distinction!

Of course they do. You don’t expect executive directors to be ploughing their own money into a business in big sums. They are employees, being paid to do a job, same as you and me. I have been a director of several companies, I was not at all expected to contribute sums of money and neither could I have done. I was employed because of my skills, not my financial clout.

To be honest, it’s not even essential for non-exec directors. Some of them might be retained on the Board for their expertise, knowledge and contacts. However, it would also be good for a football club to have non-execs who are contributing to funding as well.

(and, yes, we can argue all day about what expertise etc some of our non-execs bring but, as someone noted above, in the end that is up to the owner to assess who he needs, values and trusts to assist him)

1 Like

:sleepy:

Wrong.

The loan I referred to was in 2010 when Pomlett joined the board. Years before Bonser left and Pomlett took over the reigns.

But not 90% of ours it would seem. :wink:

The problem is the SLO role isn’t meant to be a fans representative.

And Pomlett hasn’t helped by referring to it like that in some videos.

The SLO is the club’s representative who liaises with the fans on the clubs behalf.

The nearest we have to fans representatives are the Trust and ISSA.

4 Likes

Ah, the one Bonser insisted on because he liked his board to have skin in the game?

Reckon he was any more than a quorum body at meetings? Doubtful, given that Bonser made all the decisions with the notable exception of the sacking of Merson…

So the loan didn’t pay off Bonser’s then? Ahh, lets just skirt round that and your embarrassing “narrative” comment. :crazy_face: Looks like you got your “facts” wrong, but hey ho.

Oh and here’s another one…

Whalley and Gilman???

You literally don’t know what you’re talking about and are going off on some half-baked tangent simply because you love disagreeing with things for the sake of it.

The point I’m making, is that after 8 years on the board of Walsall FC its a bizarre stretch to say that anything involving being chairman (in respect of intensity,expectation, and fan pressure) would be a huge shock to Pomlett’s otherwise corporate persona. Even if he had spent 8 years sitting silently staring gooey-eyed at Bonser, hanging on his every word and tugging his forlock, surely he couldn’t have missed noticing the nature of the role? Pomlett actually joined the board weeks after the sit in protests, as part of a re-shuffle which occurred imediately after!! And the fact that much of his response to any fan criticism is shall we say, lifted right from Bonser’s play-book is just coincidence?

4 Likes

As this infographic proves what we already know.

Pomlett is completely deluded about those ‘7 games’ being the difference between having a go at the play offs or not.

3 Likes