Chairman Talks to Walsall Fan TV

That’s not strictly true though Belg. He took over after we were relegated from L1 and therefore has not taken us backwards or forwards. We are still in the same league as when he bought the shares from Bonser.

Bonser is the reason that we are where we are. Pombear is trying to sort the mess out, but has yet to find the winning formula.

4 Likes

Yes it is. Second year was a full blown disaster and this year wasn’t much better.

One day, hopefully, people will stop using Bonser as an excuse. Bonser didn’t regress us after a mid table league two season. He didn’t put Brian Dutton in charge. He didn’t let Clarke sign all his washed up mates. He didn’t hire and fire a director of football within one season.

1 Like

When we were relegated a lot of people said it wouldn’t be easy to get out of this league. This has proved to be correct.

Out of the 4 teams relegated in 2018/19, only Plymouth have been promoted. Scunthorpe have got out of the league, but not in the way anyone would want to and Bradford you would say have faired slightly better than we have.

For me its Pomlett’s constant claims of we should be higher, we shouldn’t be in this league etc which gets to me, like we have a god given right to be in League 1.

We’re where we are on merit due to our own failures.

Indeed, but some seem to be unforgiving because we haven’t.

I imagine the Bradford fans had expectations to get back up quickly. As for Scunthorpe, blown a fortune on players and are now non league.

Yeah, he speaks like a fan at times, rather than the Chairman. I think some of it is to try to counter the claims that he isn’t providing the manager with a competitive budget.

3 Likes

True. But then he counters himself saying budget doesn’t always have a direct correlation to success, which is true. I just don’t think it needs to keep being mentioned. Where has our supposed top 7/10 budget got us in the last 3 years?

I’ve said before, I do genuinely believe him to have what he believes to be the clubs best interests at heart, but if you always let your heart rule your head it won’t work in the long run.

For me, I do think he should stop having a pop at the fans for trivial things such as pitch encroaching etc.

1 Like

Bottom half, which is why he is frustrated. He has to look in the mirror at the guy that appointed those, that in turn appointed the players that haven’t been good enough, for sure.

100%. It’s just fans getting emotional on occasion. Not if they are rioting every week.

1 Like

He also had no interest in reuniting the freehold back to the club.

2 Likes

People can surely see the bigger picture here, yes Pomlett has made a pigs ear of getting us back to league 1, but lets not forget how happy we was when Clarke was installed as manager or exciting this new set up of Taylor/Fullarton was especially with the signings made seem to remember the whole of the forum agreeing it had been a successful window. Theres no guarantees in football no matter what your budget or manager. And remember Pomlett took over a sinking ship.

2 Likes

… so? What’s the relevance of that when discussing the declining performance of the club under Pomlett?

The goodwill from the fans will eventually wear off, as it already has with some.

Best early bird numbers since we were in League 1, which has got to be down to Flynn. No other reason that I can see.

If there is no progress seen this season I really worry for us as ST numbers and attendances will start to decrease, which will just impact further on our woes.

1 Like

Pomlett did say he wants that to be his legacy. Reunite the club with the freehold and achieve promotion.

He did also say, the amount spent on rent won’t ALL go into the playing budget as we will have other overheads.

Pomlett has really made two huge errors, the hiring of Dutton and Fullerton. Dutton was kind of forced on him due to DC walking, he was terrible and we all knew he would be.
Fullerton was absolutely LP’s fault, if he would have thoroughly checked with his previous employers it wouldn’t have been difficult to find the history of his bullying incidents, unfortunately, bullying reared it’s ugly head during his short tenure here as well. I’m guessing that’s the reason he was terminated.
I do agree with you about the board. As far as I know the only other member who has made a significant financial contribution is Nigel Bond. The other hanger ons like Gamble, Mole, Whittacker, Whalley and Gilman can take a hike.
I believe the interviewer (Simon, is it?) asked LP how much would it take to get on the board, 100 grand. I had to laugh, as did Leigh. Add another zero to it and you might be close!
I’m sure he wants to make changes at board level with people who are willing to invest in the club, no easy task. He is the major shareholder and the current board members are his sycophants.
As for getting a fan representative on the board I can’t see that ever happening.

We do already, in the form of our SLO :roll_eyes:

The club was already on a decline and under perfoming. Whos to say we woudnt be playing in national league if pomlett hadnt taken over ?

Taylor proved to be at least as big an error as Dutton, who was in many ways a free hit. I never felt that our league status was in serious jeopardy under him (subjective I know), as I did this season under Taylor.
It’s all sliding doors stuff, as one decision has an effect on the next. No Dutton would probably have meant no Taylor which probably would mean no Flynn.

I’ll send you a PM.

Come on Belphie, that’s about as tenuous as attributing the 83/84 cup run to the appointments of Alan Ashman and Frank Sibley :joy:

1 Like

True though :wink:

The fans didn’t vote for him!

I know, the comment was said in jest.

But he is classed as the ‘fan representative’ in the eyes of the board.