Chairman Talks to Walsall Fan TV

The inability to win 2 games on the spin under MT reign is the reason we never challenged the play offs, 7 game losing run never helped but before MF came along we never won 2 consecutive games all season.
Regardless to if we’d picked up a few wins within the 7 game losing run we’d have still not been anywhere near the play offs in fact if we’d have won all 7 we’d have still been 2 points short.

I guess that, if you forecast doom, gloom and disaster often enough, you’ll be proved “right” at some point. I lose track of how many times over the last 5 or 6 seasons we were supposed to be “non league next season”.

That said, the opposite is also true so I do think Mr P would be better not to forecast that we’re “having a right good go” at promotion again, just to promise we’ll be working hard to stabilise and progress on the field in 22-23.

2 Likes

Because, of course, everything has been hunky dory the last few years :joy: :joy: :joy: you were f***ing protesting this season!

How about being right 3 years in a row? Imagine setting “not being non league” as the bar for satisfaction.

I don’t support the club mate. I am a Walsall fan but I don’t support anyone I think is mugging me off. I don’t ask for success, never have, but I extract no enjoyment from being continually lied to, treated like crap and seeing people extract money from this club (our money) that are not deserving of a bloody good wage. Haven’t put a penny in this year and probably won’t next year. Unlike many I have no social outlet via Walsall FC and enjoy myself more doing other things! It will take an awful lot for WFC to ever wrestle me back in all honesty.

I will continue to contribute here as I see fit - more sporadically recently. I actually like it and like many posters (including you), and without being big headed I can give a good amount of input using my professional knowledge.

I guess I have certain expectations of any organisation where I put cash, and even if I have been investing since 1990 if that business treats me like cack I will stop.

4 Likes

That’s fair enough. Apologies for biting, I just get a bit narked when those that know what the issues are, but continue to show up get accused of being happy clappers or having rose tinted glasses.
There are loads of die hards that are really pissed off with our lot, but at the same time still enjoy supporting the club.

11 Likes

Good post BELPHY . Sums up my feelings exactly . No one can be happy with the last 5 years but I don’ t see the point of constantly going over old ground and constantly berating the Chairman.
Some one above mentioned Llera in criticising the club. It is noticeable that things improved a lot for the Youth team after he left and I posted before that he wasn’ t liked by a lot of the youngsters. I just think we have to be a little careful in ascribing all our ills on the Club hierarchy.

5 Likes

Berating’ the chairman?!! Pointing out clear organisational issues year after year is not berating anyone. It’s posting in the hope for positive change! I dont go anymore, it has absolutely no impact on my life. I do it because I still care for fans that do still go and also the future of the football club. Have you ever thought about who will support this club when unfortunately long standing, loyal fans like you are unable to go? Because I am struggling. It’s taken years of mismanagement, lack of forward thinking and, lets be honest, total catastrophic cock ups to get here and I see absolutely nothing in the organisation to suggest its improving. So until I see this expect more realism in my posts - oh sorry, negativity.

I am rarely condescending, try to avoid being confrontational - I respect all that go to the games still - but I’m sorry the continual defense of some of what goes on - from intelligent people - makes me laugh.

When I see something structurally forward thinking and improvising at the club to be ‘positive’ about I will be the first to say. The new entry system - I was on here saying fair play immediately after it was announced - but then of course they have no idea how to implement it, no idea how to lead staff and no idea how to operate it. Same old same old from the same failing people taking 50k+ salaries out of the club every year!!

3 Likes

I would much prefer a bit of honesty. If the club is struggling financially then tell us, and also tell us how we can help. If the club isn’t, had a top 7 budget, and can afford to knock back offers of investment because we’re “giving it a good go”, then unfortunately you put yourself in the frame for having to explain how we started a season with an ageing left winger as our only option at left back, no centre forward other than one the chairman thinks is one when the player himself doesn’t, a rookie manager playing under a bloke whose reputation in the game was clearly dubious. It’s an obvious mess. LP prefers to wax lyrical about Fullartons successes whilst jumping on the slightest thing regarding the fan base, which is exactly what he did when Dutton was here. It’s rinse and repeat from the same board that told us jimmy mullen was the obvious genius in house appointment and anyone that didn’t agree should go and support……what would the modern equivalent be? Bury, Oldham or Scunthorpe.

3 Likes

After first team players were allowed to play for them, in the game immediately after Fullarton took charge, funnily enough. And that “massive improvement” was winning 4 games out of 15, and a goal difference of negative 15.

It’s this type of non context hyperbole that makes people think some can’t see past their Walsall FC goggles.

6 Likes

This club relies on blind loyalty from an ageing fan base one day they will no longer be able to do that then what?

6 Likes

Absolutely mate me and my dad have tried to keep my nephew his grandson interested in coming to watch us play unfortunately he’s now wearing a Liverpool shirt and did a tour of anfield the other weekend.For some reason it’s more appealing to sit in Diogo Jotas dressing room chair that Brendan Kiernans can’t imagine why :thinking:

2 Likes

Interestingly I was told the opposite, Llera was liked and Fullarton was disliked by the Youth, that came from one of the parents.

Very true I would say the majority of our fan base is 55 +

1 Like

Mine lost interest when football was stopped and fans weren’t allowed in for a whole season were going fairly regularly.

well my eyesight isnt what it was but it’s climbing the bloody stairs in the Homeserve that are killing me :rofl:

1 Like

The comments about Llera were before Fullarton arrived and he told the fans meeting in November that his next job was to look at the youth set up. Llera went shortly after.

1 Like

First team players are not allowed in the Youth team!! You appear to be talking about the “reserves” whilst my post was about the academy and the Youth team.

Exactly my point. @Scooby2167 too.

It’s taken 6 - 7 years to get here since I first identified and raised grave issues in the operations at Walsall. It’s taken all that time for some to even begin to question what is happening.

Nothing has changed in operations. Not one bloody thing! Where the hell are we going to be in another 6-7 years? But we are being negative :roll_eyes: the full impact of any decline takes many years to materialise, and I see naff all in respect of dynamic fresh thinking and modern business acumen to turn this shitshow, a decade in the making, around. Many of our current fan base will possibly not even be around when this fully bottoms out.

So, so shortsighted.

4 Likes

I agree with a lot of your points but I don’t see why you have to keep repeating them . We have got the message. I am not happy as we had little success for a decade or more and the last 5 years have been abject but surely we must have some hope on here otherwise there is little point of carrying on! Well I for one will carry on as part of the “aged fan base” and support my club and my team. Incidentally I find that term rather insulting as most clubs and societies in this Country rely on their “aged fan bases”

1 Like