Chairman's Update

They should intro/outro these “updates” with we won’t get fooled again.

I haven’t watched this yet, is there any point?

Can be summed up by.

Thanks the fans for the support (especially away) - 400 sold for Kings Lynn.
Trajectory of travel is upwards (although we should have more ponts).
There’s a fans forum meeting coming up and the DOF and manager will attend.
Some stuff about the general governance of football.

2 Likes

Thanks Geordie

I am pleased the Chairman does these videos .I agree there wasn’t much in this one but at least he thanked the travelling support and gave a plug for the "meet the fans “evening” where a lot of our questions should be answered. I hope to go to that meeting and I hope many others do too.
I agree the interviewer could be better but I would much rather have this than the long silences we endured before.

4 Likes

No no no

1 Like

It’s important he continues to do them. Some months he just wont have much to say and that’s fair enough.

4 Likes

Some months running a football club isn’t exactly going to be glamourous and exciting and will be summed up by “played some matches - won some, lost some. Sold some tickets, paid some bills”

3 Likes

The worse the results the less he seems to have to say he even alluded to the fact he said I hope we win vs kings Lynn because the supporters meeting thing is a couple of day’s later and the atmosphere is always better after a win ,If we’d have somehow lost to barrow he probably wouldn’t have done that interview he’d have waited till we maybe draw or win at Sutton. I personally hope we win at kings Lynn because they are a poor team in the conference if we lose to them I’d be very worried about achieving anything this season.

1 Like

It’s a business at the end of the day - chairman of Tesco’s isn’t going to come out the day after their website and app failed to do an interview (staged or otherwise) on how things are going.

Whether we like it or not, part of the role of any owner of any business is to paint things as being as rosy as possible…even if they’re not.

2 Likes

Regardless of what he says or doesn’t say, Pomlett cant really win with the timing of putting them out. He could have done a video after we’d beat Oldham last week…but then he’d probably be accused by some of only doing one after we won!!

4 Likes

Nothing that will really drive this club forward, both on and off the field, is ever spoken about, or even referenced, in these videos. Elephant in the room? There’s a whole heard.

As always thanks for the effort Mr Chairman, but other than some ball tickling to those that support the club there is very little here again.

Keep supporting and keep crossing your fingers, it’s all we have atm.

1 Like

I’ve been saying this since his 3rd or 4th video. I asked the question what “improvement” in the communication is there if we’ve gone from nothing to, nothing but with words?

I was told I was a Bonser apologist at the time :man_shrugging:

Why not use these updates as an opportunity outside of the working party meetings and fan forums?

Set a fixed date for them, say the first or last day of every month, with a deadline of questions to be sent in up to a few days before.

At least then the interviewer could ask a few questions that someone, somewhere wants answering rather than the generic bland questions that are asked now?

5 Likes

Leaving aside the finer details to which we will never be party (and probably shouldn’t expect to be) I would like to know what the general philosophy is regarding recruitment of forwards and how George Miller fits into this.

Firstly, there has literally been nothing out of the youth system feeding into the first team for years, Baka being the last. So that’s a fail.

Over the last two years under Pomlett our actual signings have been fairly young and unproven, or with a patchy record. eg. Ade, Josh, and Lavery. To get a 1 in 3 ratio of success resulting in a nice fee received (which likely went a long way to keeping the club afloat) is decent, and although the other two wern’t ultimately what you might call successful, they did both contribute something along the way and are both still playing at this level, Josh having turned down a new contract.

We don’t seem able to sign experienced strikers, or seem interested in those at the back end of their careers that might be able to do a job for a season or two, and previous to Miller our loan signings have varied from being pretty crap (Scrimshaw), to being astonishingly bad (Osei Yaw) or just useless in so much that they didn’t play (George and Reid).

So on the face of it Miller looks very much from the same “stable” as Lavery, and Ade which is fine, however we havn’t signed him as we did those two (plus Josh, who was less experienced in respect of league games). If this and any future possibility of signing Miller is purely down to finances then why? Given the unbudgeted incoming Henry money. If there is a shortfall in our ability to sign Miller, or others like him (who could go on and be the next Ade with the vital financial benefit that brings) then what is the club’s strategy to deal with that?

These are the questions I would like answered. If there was a clear philosphy that us as fans could see and buy into, alongside some degree of transparency regarding the club’s finances in relation to it, I think that would assurge the default cynicism that many of us (myself included) revert to whenever optimism rears its very welcome head.

5 Likes

Every single video he claims we should have more points :man_facepalming:

Interesting to read this from football finance expert Kieran Maguire regarding Plymouth’s accounts. Apart from them apparently being very transparent, they also show a significant pay out from their ‘business interruption insurance.’

Does anyone know if this is something WFC will/has benefit from? Might be one for the fans forum…

https://twitter.com/KieranMaguire/status/1452884608056446978?s=20

Good point. Interesting they show figures for incoming and outgoing transfers!!!

1 Like

I think as supporters all we want is some honesty .

If we do or don’t have the money to sign players then come out and tell us , I’m sick of this we’re in a better position this season next season statement , we have a striker in Miller that has shown more promise than sooooo many loaners we’ve had recently surely he is worth spending money we obviously have from these little chats we have with our chairman , and we gamble on him getting even better than what we’re witnessing now , just like we did Ade , at least we can cash in then when higher league clubs come knocking at the door and fund this profit into our next set of players and keep building our club up this way instead of keep treading water .

3 Likes

Just think Leigh’s legacy will be to get this club out of league 2 (the right way).

Who knows how long it will take but will be failure of his governance if he hasn’t achieved it whenever he steps down.

He admitted himself he dosen’t have the resources to make club competitive again at that level and you only have to look at top half of league one now to see how much higher the standard is compared to 5 years ago.

So would be interested if the looking for outside invest line is still the plan upon eventual promotion or will another way be looked at.