Charlton Athletic (A) Tue Jan 1st 2019, 3pm

"Down Greenwich reach
Past the Isle of Dogs"

(Eliot)

It’s fairly typical of the mentality of a Walsall supporter who, when faced with a game against a high-flying in-form side when the vast majority (see poll) forecast a thumping defeat, regards a 2-2 draw as a couple of points dropped!! It seems that we are unable to play out time when that tactic is called for, and quite a few games have seen us concede very late on - this has cost us points occasionally, but it has also damaged our goal difference constantly, and if Dean Keates is correct in saying that we are verging on a relegation battle then goal difference will probably play a part in deciding the final placings.

Until a couple of games ago Charlton Athletic had been in excellent form, but Christmas has seen them beaten twice - they “did a Walsall” at Coventry City, losing to an 89th minute goal, and at Barnsley they were reduced to 10 men in the 6th minute of injury time when captain Chris Solly was red-carded (2 yellows). Nevertheless they are still 11 points ahead of ourselves, and they can concentrate on League One since being dumped out of the FA Cup at home by Doncaster Rovers. When we travel to Bolton Wanderers on Saturday they will be at home to Sunderland - no prizes for guessing which game will have the higher attendance!! There will probably be one familiar name (not face) in the Addicks’ line-up in Krystian Bielik, now injury-free… Charlton Athletic’s current League One form:-

8 Dec Blackpool (A) Lost 2-1
11 Dec Portsmouth (A) Won 1-2 :astonished::astonished:
15 Dec AFC Wimbledon (H) Won 2-0
22 Dec Gillingham (H) Won 2-0
26 Dec Coventry City (A) Lost 2-1
29 Dec Barnsley (A) Lost 2-1

Whatever Dean Keates said to his squad ahead of the Luton Town game certainly appeared to work in terms of effort coupled with attitude, with a performance that was far removed from the shambles against Bristol Rovers and most of the Bradford City fixture. He also seemed to have got his team selection right, and the return of Joe Edwards has been a good omen. Tinkering with the starting line-up isn’t always recommended (especially after a good showing), but some changes may be indicated depending on the reports he will no doubt receive as to the strengths and/or weaknesses in Charlton’s play. All will be revealed on Tuesday…

Prediction? As with the Luton Town game, a point from this one would be quite an achievement, and in the spirit of optimism for which we are noted let’s opt for a 1-1 result with Nicky Devlin confounding his critics by copying Scott Dann’s incredible solo goal from years gone by!!

UTS

1 Like

After today who knows? If we can play as we did today a draw is not out of the question. 1-1 will do.

First game all season I’ve chosen to not attend because of the state of the club and those in charge. I’m starting to lose my enthusiasm for following Walsall which is sad. I’ll always support us and hope we win, but I am not going to be making the effort to trek the country on all dates at all kinds of times.

I expect nothing from this game - 2-0 or 3-1 to Charlton.

1-2 with Cook blugeoning us into an early lead by sheer force of will, only for a series of powder puff midfield challenges and an ‘after you sir’ allows their danger man to make a diagonal run from the edge of our box and lay it off for their danger striker ‘I thought you had him’ to squirm in an unprobable shot through the keeper’s lifeless body.

We then get battered and hold out until the 99th minute, when a daring backpass goes awry and in the confusion, the ball is stabbed through a gaggle of wibbling players from 18 yards and nestles comfortably in the back of the net.

Deano to gesture angrily from the sidelines.

my you have a weird imagination …:rofl:

1 Like

Probably a defeat, they were very good at Bescot. Surely Bielik isn’t going to score again?!

That said seems they have a few injuries as Bowyer says they’re down to the bare bones. Jed Steer also been recalled by Villa today so will be their number 2 keeper in goal tomorrow.

Edit: 10 players missing according to this + Steer.

1 Like

10 players missing …we couldn’t field a team …:rofl:

Not going tomorrow. Very rare I choose to miss a game but that horrible feeling of the club being a little bit ■■■■ has made me think well if the people at the top can’t be bothered, why should I? Off to a local non-league game instead.

Expecting a 3-1 defeat, hope I’m wrong!

2 Likes

And that’ll be our fault for not going …

Bump (so much activity on the board that the match thread had slipped almost out of sight!!) :smiley:

Any idea if this one is available via iFollow?

I dont believe it is

1 Like

It is in Spain for the princely sum of 6 euros :smile:

Unchanged from the Luton match. Will he play the diamond formation again?

Same subs as well.

We’re due a win, and are better away, 3-1 to us

Presumably Osbourne is injured?

My lad just texted me from the ground to say there are about 200 Walsall fans there

Very early goal oop north … Doncaster Rovers 1 Rochdale 0 (1 min)

Peterborough Utd 0 Scunthorpe Utd 1 (3 min)

Portsmouth 1 AFC Wimbledon 0

Well, that didn’t take long :disappointed_relieved:

Charlton Athletic 1 Walsall 0 (5 min)