Clarkey Out

Absolutely spot on P. T you have stated the true reasons why we are where we are at this moment in time, we’ll put my friend, we’ve been a rudderless ship on the ocean of lack of vision for many years , so a big thank you to Bonser, Gamble, Mole and all the other door mouse board members.

1 Like

Agree with all of that.

I’m not against Pomlett, far from it, I mentioned on the match day thread that he needs to answer questions around the future direction of the club, more in respect of the football side (that is what we go to watch) rather than the business side.

The only thing I would balance is that when you state that we are where we are due to 15 years of mismanagement under the previous regime and elements of the current. I imagine most would think of Gamble and Mole as the current element, however according to Companies House, Pomlett was appointed as a director on 1st July 2010, so will have been around and involved for two thirds of that timeframe as well.

2 Likes

Completely agree PT.
Too many people thinking that because the owner has changed that things overall will change overnight.

The Bonser regime has screwed us and is still screwing us in the background. It’s going to be a long haul to change things but I think Pomlett will over time.

When we dropped to this level there were so many fans expecting us to bounce back on the first attempt. Many probably thinking back to 2007 when we did just that. Difference was we lucked on a bloody good manager then and we still had a solid team.

This is far more like that 90’s drop to this level, possibly worse. We have to be solid and consistent at this level and I’m not sure Clarke’s tinkering style of management is going to deliver that.

4 Likes

How much of a say do you think any of the directors had under the Bonser regime?

I’m not actually sure what the point of a board of directors is when the majority shareholding is held by one person?

A Chairman with no money.

A manager who’s last few years of management including Bristol has been atrocious.

Probably the worst strike force for 20 years.

Possibly one of the worst goal keepers for 20 years.

Possibly the worse midfield for 20 years.

Defence is debatable.

The list could go on and on, and just highlights how far the club has fallen… congrats to all those involved :clap:t2::clap:t2::clap:t2:

1 Like

Blaming Bonser for everything, Not buying that either.

How about the manager appointments and signings since Smith? All Bonser fault?

We haven’t been able to get the basics right on and off the field for 5 years now, just look at this weeks comma from the club… shambles

I think we just want to feel that progress is being made. I suspect many of us would have accepted 19/20 mid-table “stop the freefall”, 20/21 play-off challenge, 21/22 promotion bid. When the season was curtailed I felt we were on course after a bumpy start, but now it does feel that the trajectory is not in the right direction. All the optimism has evaporated and people are frustrated.
Off the field we were so delighted when LP took over and lapped up his comms work. That’s fine early on or when results are going our way but I don’t think he can be surprised that the frustration I refer to above spills over to other aspects of the club when we are doing badly.
Fail to win on Tuesday and it is one victory in eleven games - there is not a club in the land where that sort of run wouldn’t have fans asking questions of everyone involved.

2 Likes

I know if ‘ifs and ands were pots and pans’ but had every shot that hit the woodwork had ricocheted in, rather than out, we wouldnt be having these threads.

Fine margins and all that.

(If anyone replies with something containing the phrase “…papering over the cracks” please send £5.00 to the crowdfunding appeal via cliche corner. Thanks)

2 Likes

To be honest all i want to see is some decent ■■■■■■■ football

6 Likes

Your right mate, just actually come away thinking I enjoyed that.

1 Like

I actually did think that after the first half, but what it morphed into second half defies belief?

1 Like

If we had followed the advice of our precious führer we could have been enjoying Championship football every week with Bournmuff, Luton and Rotherscum and in the case of Bournmuff visited a few Premiership grounds over the past few years

How right he was

7 Likes

Yes but the clue is in your user name :wink:

One thing that’s not often mentioned about Hibbitt’s time is that he could have taken us out of the division in 1993.If the FL had taken Flashman’s dealings at Barnet seriously , we would have been automatically promoted. Whether he’d have kept them up is another matter- especially if Clarke had left anyway.

4 Likes

Yes my fate was sealed a long time ago being born within the eyesight line of the floodlights at Fellows Park

The place where I was born is now day care services for people with physical and learning disabilities

Perhaps thats why I didnt follow Jeffrey Bubbles Bonsir’s advice and maybe I will never learn !!

1 Like

I don’t think we will ever be free of his shadow, and the stench of what he has done to the club to feed his own greed.
I think when he is gone they will have to bury him in an unmarked grave to stop disgruntled saddlers from defacing it, let’s hope he gets Jimmy Saville and Fred West as neighbours :grin: :wink:

2 Likes

Excellently put, PT.

I think that is a finely balanced see-saw to be honest. There are as many ifs, buts and maybes from games where we got more than we deserved and benefitted from the profligacy of the opposition or some great goalkeeping. As the counter to your point of all if those had gone in we’d have been having these threads weeks and weeks ago.

Ergo we are exactly where we deserve to be and the debate is the right one to have.

It is a sporting crime how our club has been managed for the last decade and a half. And yes, I draw my line at the embers of Merson’s time with us. Bonser’s infatuation with that man was a watershed for me.

5 Likes

I’ve argued the same thing. Bonser had managed to square the circle of enriching himself while bringing relative success for a while perhaps a decade. My own view is also that he went into a massive sulk after being forced to sack Merson. He was his friend, and TBF it was ,at the time a major coup to get someone of Merson’s profile and undoubted ability to the club. My guess is he felt intense ingratitude.

But if it hadn’t been Merson, I think it would have been something else. Eventually ,he’d have had to have made a decision about what was more important- his pension, or the club. With a club of Walsall’s resources the two could only correlate for so long. In retrospect, it’s surprising they did for so long.

5 Likes

I agree @el_nombre,it’s obviously down to application,team tactics/training methods,relationship between the players and the boss/coaching staff etc.I would add relationship between the crowd and players but obviously that doesn’t come into it this season,but maybe the lack of a crowd affects certain players.

2 Likes