Clarkey Out

Just calmed down - a bit.
So DCs coaching, and performance and tactics have presided over Morecambe, Oldham last year, and rubbish performances this season and then today !
He has to go. He’s not up to the job I’m afraid.

1 Like

Smith has shown it is possible to grow a team, and that was at a higher level.

We are going backwards

1 Like

Interesting, exactly the same as SMITHOUT 32.31, John Whitney 34.86, Dean Keates 30.00, Chris Hutchings 31.63, Paul Merson 34.04.

Year after year after year; misery with occasional [very occasional] highlights followed by the inevitable dissapointments. I’m not enjoying watching Walsall anymore.

3 Likes

Comes over as arrogant and conceited. The players simply won’t perform under these traits - they tolerate it.
Tolerance does not lead to high performance in any sector. Surrounded himself with a couple of loyal mates, but the other pros see through that - especially when they are also weak links.
Time to fix… maybe, but time also to get rid before it’s too late.
Hope I’m wrong DC for the sake of WFC and all of us.

2 Likes

Bit of perspective needed.

We are three points off the play offs - and lost twice in the league. He’s going nowhere, and neither should he.

His teams notoriously finish stronger. I think the issue is the Gordon injury, and having to change shape and shoe horn others in.

I’m still hopeful.

2 Likes

I actually disagree with that, this team won’t get hammered by anyone because we retain possession and pass 5 yard passes around in our own half for a sufficient period of the so called “football match” to negate that possibility.

The Newport game will be a tedious watch beyond belief whatever the result, that’s nailed on.

Cheltenham? Well its just time to reflect on how a club from the southern league without a suggerdaddy, playing their games in a ground originally built in 1927 with a 7,000 capacity are so far ahead of us again.

2 Likes

No there isn’t.

2 Likes

Change shape …he changes shape and formations every game. Hope he can turn things round because we don’t have any choice really he will be on a decent wedge and the club can not afford to wield the axe :axe:.

1 Like

Again, a million miles from being good enough.

I’m not having this ‘its a difficult time for the football club’ nonsense - its a cheap cop out, simple as that. We have an experienced management team and operate with financial prudence. The vast majority of clubs at our level (and wider football league) will be facing far bigger challenges than we are.

If we are genuinely serious about promotion (which is often stated), performances and results must improve dramatically. Otherwise, changes must be forthcoming.

6 Likes

“His teams notoriously finish stronger”.

I’ve heard this mentioned a few times. Is there any long-term data that supports this statement?

Identity, style, brand, whatever you want to call it is the most over-used term in modern day football. Of the 92 league teams, how many actually have that? 10 at most?

You can have all the coaching badges you like but most of us have seen hundreds or thousands of games at League 2/League 1 level and the blueprint is almost always get them organised, keep them disciplined, square pegs in square holes and good at set pieces in both boxes.

Crack them and you are almost guaranteed at least a play off place in this league, add a bit of quality and maybe flair around the edges and bingo. Rocket science it ain’t!

3 Likes

Any team is only as good as its strikers & unfortunately ours don’t have a natural goal scoring instinct.

A striker like Brett angel who probably didn’t have the ability but he had the instinct & would score in this team.

They’re Hard working yes, but they don’t gamble enough in the box, they react after the cross has come in, or link up play well but then don’t bust a gut to get into box.

Saying that there was also a big gap between strikers and the midfielders today

I got 19 badges in scouts, don’t make me Bear Grylles and I don’t always finish stronger, ask the Mrs.

I’ll give our tinker man, games against the football powerhouses of Cheltenham, Newport & Stevenage to decide if the DC project is worth persisting with.

For me there is nothing to suggest we are more than lower mid table and I fear that may be the case for sometime.

1 Like

I’m not that pessimistic. To be honest, I thought his job is safe till 46 games, or 48, maybe even 49. I know such results, as today’s, will happen again, but as long as there is no danger of relegation, his job is safe (probably because Covid and restrictions). Of course grass can be greener elsewhere, but let’s be honest, confirming he stil can do it is very important. So in short, we want to succeed, he wants to succeed. No one losing in this situation.
Main problem for me is, if it was one time magic, to win promotions with Bristol Rovers (right man in right time and in right place) or this was because his methods of work he is trying to emulate in different club decided. I’m finding it similar to Dean Smith first years, where being loyal to his method was more important sometimes, than results on the pitch. I know after last game it can be difficult to still believe in his ‘project’, but I hope he will be right at the end.

Living away from family - Common for modern day football managers.

At a club with no chance of ambition due to rent constraints - I am quite confident he will have been made well aware of his budgetary restraints during the interview process.

Not had an opportunity to forge any type of relationship with fans - Better performances and results would certainly help.

Small attendances - We are a relatively well supported League Two club. Walsall fans have always backed their team, home and away. First game last season - Northampton Town Away. I’m sure Clarke would have been quite excited by the support of the team that day. The fans have been excellent from that day to present day.

Got all sorts of coaching ideas designed for a champions league size club but left to practice on a lower end league 2 outfit - I think this is called theory vs. reality.

Would still get shortlisted by clubs with more financial backing based on his record pre Walsall - Not so sure about this. If he did, he’d be very lucky.

I’m sure we are just a low end port in the covid storm for clarke - With a stable squad going into the season, we should be benefiting from regular games.

2 Likes

You could see the players improve under Smith, that’s why I was always 100% behind Smith.

You can’t say the same now. In fact it seems the players are regressing.

5 Likes

I never remember a Smith side having strikers run into each other, which happened at least 3 times today with either Lavery/Elijah or Elijah/Scrimshaw

3 Likes

Similar, not exact copy what was done. Could be better? Of course, but that’s his project and his ways of achieving it. His responsibility too.

The big difference is I could see where Smith was trying to get to, which for me bought him a bit more time than a lot at that time were willing to give him.

At the moment with Clarke I just can’t see what he is trying to do. He has been in charge 18 months and for over 60 games now, so he really should have a good idea of what he’s trying to do.

Of the 18 involved today, he inherited Roberts, Norman, Scarr and Kinsella, promoted Bates and Cockerill-Mollett from youth and the other 12 he has bought in, either permanently or on loan, with most of them being here for well over a year.

If he says they are not learning, then as he has been coaching them for that long that’s as much a damning indictment of his and his staff’s coaching ability, than it is of them as players.

1 Like

Hes just gone on a 12 game unbeaten run. Yes some of the games were toilet, but remember were still trying to get the shape of the team together.

For me, we dont need 2 holding mids. Get more attacking creative players on the pitch. Ose looked up for it.

Its a weird time at the moment so for me, hes got all season.

2 Likes