Colchester United (H) 10th October, 3pm

"From haunts of coot and hern"

(Tennyson)

We embark on a run of three home games in League 2 with the visit of the team from what is claimed to be the oldest recorded town in Britain. What can be stated with accuracy is that Colchester was, for a time, the capital of Roman Britain, but now it’s a market town in London’s commuter belt. Colchester United are comparative newcomers to the Football League (to old 'uns anyway), only being elected in 1950 - and in their first season in Division III (South) they finished in 16th place on the same number of points as ourselves, but we had a superior goal average to finish one place higher.

There have been a couple of significant player/manager connections between the two clubs, and of quite a high profile too … the names of Roy McDonough and Mark Kinsella will resonate with older members, and both men figured in the “Hall of Fame” list created by the club in 2006. Roy was the U’s manager for 3 years in the 1990’s. Current Head Coach Steve Ball is in his second spell, having been Caretaker Manager for 4 days in May 2016 - his current involvement dates from July this year, and Colchester’s current League 2 form looks like this:-

September 12th Bradford City (A) Drew 0-0
September 19th Bolton Wanderers (H) Won 2-0
September 26th Barrow (A) Drew 1-1
October 3rd Oldham Athletic (H) Drew 3-3

What can we expect from the tinkering of Walsall’s powers-that-be? The answer, as always, is a conundrum within an enigma. It seems that players who do have a really good game are not necessarily going to be featuring in the match that follows. Injuries shouldn’t be too much of a concern this early in the season, and perhaps Darrell Clarke will have a full squad to benefit from his tinkering. Lavery will have done his chances no harm after netting in mid-week, and Adebayo’s input has been significant over the past few matches. All we need is for Wes McDonald to regain the spark that has been missing occasionally of late…

Prediction? With a run of three home games we should be setting a target of 9 points, and a win on Saturday will at least let us leapfrog over Colchester, who currently sit in 9th place in the League 2 table - but only a single point more than ourselves (and we do have a game in hand). So … the usual guess at a 2-1 home win, with goals from Eli and Flash.

UTS

5 Likes

And our former Manager Richard (known as ■■■■) Graham was the Colchester manager for arguably their finest 90 minutes, when they humbled Dirty Leeds in the F A Cup.

Lavery scored mid-week?

Against Chelsea’s kids? (Or is my dementia really taking hold…) :crazy_face:

Wes McDonald scored against the Chelsea nursery team, Lavery netted against the Vegans, Forest Green Rovers.

Whoops! My bad (as they used to say) … I knew he’d scored against someone!! :wink:

1 Like

I am forecasting a win…2-1 will do

1 Like

If we are serious about a promotion push then the next two home games need to be maximum points with a potential tricky game vs Exeter to end the home run.

With the FGR game it felt as though we set out to stop them, and the performance looked like it too, which is fine away from home so I’m looking for us to line up and play to our strengths.

I’m saying that’s exactly what we’ll do and we’ll see a reaction.

Walsall 3-0 Colchester.

1 Like

Just had a look at their squad…seems they’ve let plenty of decent attackers go like Frank Nouble and lots of youth in the squad.

Still got Calum Harriott who I remember years back playing well in the mad 4-4 draw there.

Thought a draw but looking at their options I’ll go for 2-1 win.

The Performance is all important for this one after the poor showing against FGR.

The odd bad game (whether that be due to individual performances or team & tactic selection) is to be expected now and again, it happens to all teams - just look at Liverpool on Sunday!

And at this stage of the season I’m not too bothered that we’re in the middle of the pack rather than storming it so not going to have an hissy if we don’t win every game (although it would be nice if we did).

But I do think that performance in terms of effort and attempting to entertain is important and we should be improving game on game in this department. For example, my Albion supporting mates were calling for Pulis’s head long before their results started turning sour as, even if they won a game, there was no joy in it because it was so painful to watch.

So pick a formation to give us a bit more sexy football please Darrell, even if only a few green shoots just to show that we can do it. But if not, at least a solid workmanlike approach and grind out a 1-0 win.

Oh dear. I hope I’m wrong but I think our unbeaten run will end here.

From what I’ve seen, Colchester are a better side than FGR. Some of their goals this season have been top notch. Very fast and incisive with good finishing.

Left back Cohen Bramhall appears a particular threat on the left hand side with surging runs.

I’d like to see Walsall play 4-3-3 with wingers occupying the aforementioned Bramhall. Keep it tight at the back, then rapid counterattacks. Set up as the ‘away’ side if you like. I can’t see us outfootballing them.

Somehow Colchester contrived to fail to beat Oldham last week from being 2-0 and 3-2 up, Which seems to be down to fortunate goals from Oldham. Contrast with Walsall fluking a point at FGR. If luck evens itself out, theres only one result I can see tomorrow. The fact all other posters predict a Walsall win also sets alarm bells going in my head.

Walsall 1 Colchester 3😳

2 Likes

Heart says a 1 -0 to us, head is troubled by the FGR performance. It all looks a bit last season to me. Head says 0-2 to them. I think I will be happy just to see a semi decent game of football, its been a while.

Colchester have only won 1 game this season (at home against Bolton), drawn their other 3 in the league, and lost all 3 EFL cup and trophy games. They’ll be a tough test but don’t think they are as good as you make out.

Home advantage (the “roar” of the traffic on the M5/M6), and a more attacking line-up than we used at FGR, to give us the edge: 2-1.

1 Like

Hope so m8. Really do.

This will be a low scoring affair, I’m saying a 1-1 draw again.

1 Like

Early doors I know, but I think we need a win to keep the momentum rolling.

2-1.

I fancy us to nick this one 2 - 1 poor first half, action packed second half.

5-1

Not sure about the rest of the line up though

2 Likes

Hopefully you are right and not unduly optimistic.