Cookie

Too fat and too slow, from what I can see, he hasn’t lost any weight since the start of the season.

The issue I’ve always had with Cook is that we have never been able to play the ball on the floor to him as his touch is simply not good enough, that coupled with not showing for the ball or being quick enough.

All floors of his game are not so prominent at a lower level where he has more time and space to bring the ball under control. Unfortunately while his goal scoring ability has been proved (but not since Jan), his ability to hold the ball and bring other into play has meant other members of the team and vital goal contributors have not been bought into the game in positions further up the pitch and it was a case of Cook having to battle and go it alone as part of his own lack of ability to be a link up player. Let’s face it, 16 goals in a season although commendable for an individual, isn’t good enough for a team.

The fact is that the inability of the front players to hold up play in less dangerous areas and release pressure on the defence is the reason why the defence has looked leaky as when the ball was cleared it was coming straight back or players have committed forwards only for the ball to be lost or turned over by the opposition. It’s no coincidence that, when Gordon had a stint as a lone forward, we suddenly looked more solid as we could play to ball for him to hold and regroup.

My biggest frustration has been the idea that he was bought in as a big guy with aerial ability yet a low percentage of his goals have been from a cross from out wide. We have however put plenty of balls into the box yet he has stood still expecting the perfect ball across and most the time beaten by a defender that has more experience and read the cross (like turner for Southend).

5 Likes

Think I have changed my mind over cook 2 or 3 times this season I think he will be an asset in league 2 . But as far as league 1 . And I know he has scored a good few goals in a struggling team . Facts are what is he nearly 29 so probley past his best and even with the best crosser in the world you still need movement and this is something he very much lacks sadly. Not to bothered if he stays or we pick up a half decent fee for him in all honesty.

1 Like

I really hope he leaves. Not only does he lack what is required, we end up having to play a certain way to accommodate him and I’d much rather we started next season with a different blueprint.

1 Like

Get a fee for him in the summer, give Gordon a more central role and get Le Fondre in on a Cook / Oztumer wage instead. Only 32 and knows how to finish. Has a good relationship with Keith Hill and Gordon could be the Hector Sam to Le Fondre’s Martin Butler. Maybe Candlin could be the Per Cederquist… :thinking:

4 Likes

I could be him😉
Haven’t played for 25 years, but probably still quicker than he was in his prime.

1 Like

Cook isn’t fat or overweight he is naturally pot bellied.

For me Cook’s best form was in December & January when I suspect he was hoping to get a move.
(Another player who was using us as a stepping stone).

He then got sent off in February and has been frankly, rubbish since his suspension.

I personally hope he’s plying his trade elsewhere next season!

2 Likes

I hope we don’t try to hang onto him. We’ve got an opportunity to cash in that may not be available during next season.

I don’t think MOC rates him based on what I saw on Friday and MOC reaction to some of his play/or lack of play and I think it told today by him being dropped.

I also don’t think Hill will rate him as Hill had Henderson and Andrew at Rochdale and Andrew (a similar style of player) is twice the player Cook is.

1 Like

I’d take anywhere from 100 grand upwards. That might be optimistic though

1 Like

I was about to type the same. Anything in six figures I’d take, provided of course the manager gets to use it on his major rebuilding job.

1 Like

Unfortunately, half would have to go on our marvellous development system.

2 Likes

I think I’ve spotted the flaw in this otherwise fiendish plan…

2 Likes

I’d take half that.

1 Like

I’d throw Ferrier in as a BOGOF offer.

2 Likes

There’s a player there though. It needs a manager who really knows how to handle him, and it needs the player to meet him halfway, but if you could harness his ability, he would be a very useful player in division 4. A gamble certainly, but do we have that many other options?

I’m sorry mate, I agree with you on a lot of things but I really don’t rate him.

He lacks intelligence as a footballer for me. Far too obvious with what he is going to do and nothing in his locker to change that.

He will be more effective in league 2 but as soon as he realises that he will become cocky and we will see the same player again.

I watched a youtube highlights video of him when we signed him and he did exactly the same for them. Ran as far around the left side of the pitch as he had to before cutting in and smashing it straight at the keeper every time and that was highlights. All he did then was push and run, no tricks, no drop of the shoulder, he just doesn’t have it for me.

4 Likes

My word, we were crying out for a centre forward this time last year and we get one, that isn’t perfect but is ok & we’re calling for him to go. Yes he needs to be fitter and improve, but he’d be handy in league 2.

We sell anyone for three figures, just a shame it ain’t Mole or Gamble attracting offers.

2 Likes

He wasn’t the centre forward I was crying out for.

Honestly, Keates built the team everyone on here was calling for. A big bully centre forward. 2 up front with 2 wingers and lots of crosses into the box. It worked in the 90’s but I think you can see where that’s got us now.

1 Like

That’s ok, I don’t mind us disagreeing occasionally :grin:

His strength and mobility mean he has the potential to be a far more dangerous player than cook but I get what you’re saying and you may well be right. In order to progress he needs to listen to his coaches and adapt his game and he may well not have enough about him to do that.

1 Like