D 0-0 vs Gillingham (A) - League Two - Sat 20th Aug, 3pm

Another long trip awaits The Saddlers this weekend as we face a trip to the MEMS Priestfield Stadium to face Gillingham.

The Gills find themselves back in League Two after suffering relegation from League One last season thanks to our very own friend, goal difference (They needed a 14 goal swing however, for context). At one point, they looked stranded and out of it, but following the perhaps surprising appointment of Neil Harris as manager, things picked up, but still ultimately fell just short.

As mentioned, the hosts are managed by Neil Harris who had previously managed Millwall and Cardiff City, and the appointment was seen as a bit of a coup for the club given their situation when he took over. Following the club’s relegation, Harris has overseen changes through the summer period with FOURTEEN new players joining his squad, with the hope being that they can mount a serious charge towards getting back into League One. Easier said than done, on current viewing.

Although struggling on the pitch at this time, some seemingly positive news in the last week or so for the fans is that chairman Paul Scally, who isn’t the most popular person in Medway shall we say, Is taking a back seat, and Paul Fisher has been appointed as Co-Chairman. A sense of optimism is brewing in Kent, but much remains to be seen in terms of what this actually means for the club moving forward.

Heading into this fixture, Gillingham find themselves placed 20th in League Two after a faltering start to their campaign, that has seen them record just one win in all competitions, alongside only scoring 1 goal in league action.

Injury news for the hosts is limited, but Dom Jeffries could potentially be back in the squad following an injury, whilst veteran midfielder Shaun Williams is most likely going to be ruled out again.

Gillingham’s first 5 fixtures of the season have been:

30th July - AFC Wimbledon (A) - Lost 2-0
6th Aug - Rochdale (H) - Won 1-0
9th Aug - AFC Wimbledon (A) (CCR1) - Won 2-0
13th Aug - Tranmere Rovers (A) - Lost 3-0
16th Aug - Harrogate Town (H) - Lost 2-0

Onto The Saddlers now…

Tuesday evening saw us head up to Barrow, where we suffered our first loss of the season in terrible fashion, conceded 2 headed goals in the first 12 minutes of play which really killed us in terms of seeking all three points.

Michael Flynn made two substitutions in the first half, replacing both Isaac Hutchinson and captain Donervon Daniels in what appeared to be a tactical move rather than due to injury. Things picked up slightly after this, but ultimately it was already too little, too late.

Heading into this fixture, it will be intriguing to see who makes the starting XI given (1) the substitutions that were made and (2) the performance from a number of players in the game.

If you were the manager, what would you go with from the start against Gillingham?.

For me, I’d like to see Ronan Maher given his first professional start, and I’d like to see Liam Bennett starting, but not totally sure if I’d want that to be in place of Hayden White or Taylor Allen, again. One player that is certain to start is the DJ, Danny Johnson who has now scored 6 goals in 5 games in all comps. The man is on fire!

Who is going down to the game? Are there any on here who will have done the Barrow / Gillingham double header this week?

How do you see this game going?

Heart says 3-0 to Walsall, head says 1-1 or 2-1 to us.

Gillingham vs Walsall - Match Result
  • Gillingham Win
  • Draw
  • Walsall Win

0 voters

Apart from the opening day home win, and the lucky away win at Newport, i have seen nothing that says that we are any better than last season, same old problems creeping into our game, and nothing seems to have changed other than the personal, we seemed to have moved sideways instead of forward

4 Likes

I’ve gone for an away win as if I feel we’re going to lose, we usually do the opposite!

One league goal in 4 games, means they’ll put at least 2 past us!!

1 Like

A low scoring draw is my prediction. Gillingham like us are basically a new team. Often this means that it takes time for the team to learn to play together. I just hope we try to play some attacking football. Even without our injured guys we surely have enough to give it a go !!

0-3. Big reaction after last night (I hope)

1 Like

Ive gone for a home win as Gillingham are really struggling and you know good old walsall like to start teams on a winning streak

3 Likes

Really need something from this otherwise it will just feel like a continuation of the last three seasons down here.

Surprised Gillingham have had a poor start as Neil Harris is a good manager at even championship level but guess they’re just in a malaise after relegation.

It feels very 0-0 dosen’t it? Had a few of those at Priestfield down the years. Hope all those going can get back to the Midlands sometime before the Charlton game with all the travel issues.

0-1. we’ve got DJ and they havn’t.

A 1 1 draw.

1-1 we have been awful this season except against Hartlepool
They have been poor so far
See this being another ground out long ball performance by both teams.
Unspectacular little flair 1-1 bore draw with a free kick cross header for them and a dj tap in from a mistake for us

It’s a big game in terms of where our season might go. A positive reaction and we look forward to the rest. A poor performance and we might start to slide. I hope for the former but reckon it might be the latter.

I’ve gone for a draw, 0-0. Not looking forward to this journey!

2 Likes

Take a draw. Think there’s is a false position and could be a valuable point on the road.

2-0 to the Super Saddlers. A fast start is required, get on the front foot and this will be a fairly comfortable afternoon. Pleased to announce after missing the last two games I will be back for this game too.

1 Like

Jesus, we’ve lost one in five :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Must be something when I think somebody is a pessimist!

6 Likes

:clap:t2::raised_hands:t2:

2 Likes

The second half against Swindon, once we changed the formation, was approaching Hartlepool level. Newport and Stevenage weren’t good from an attacking and entertaining football point of view but (mostly) showed that we are a lot stronger defensively in limiting the shots that our keeper has to deal with than the last few seasons, while always carrying a goal threat (in the form of DJ at least - not so sure we still would if he gets injured or suspended).

It’s only Barrow where we’ve been a total mess - and the Tinkerman approach towards the 5 subs/formation/tactics (strangely missing against Stevenage when we could have done with it for the closing stages) didn’t help. I hope MF has learned from these mistakes and doesn’t make the same ones again.

BTW Barrow is the only game that Earing hasn’t featured in. Coincidence? I think he gives us an extra dimension in the midfield that is generally lacking in the Comley/Kinsella partnership.

2 Likes

This is how we should line up against Gillingham
Either Kinsella or Comley but not both.

2 Likes

Like it does Maher remind anyone of Jack Grealish or is it me? the way he draws fouls in particular.

5 Likes

Fouls that are not always given if Tuesday is anything to go by…

2 Likes