D 0-0 vs Gillingham (A) - League Two - Sat 20th Aug, 3pm

442 only otherwise too many crosses with wide open spaces on the wings.

He definitely designed himself on Grealish his hair and socks pulled down to his ankles. He also has good composure on the ball and draws fouls he has the making of a really good player just feel he needs to stay humble and not get ahead of himself.

Iā€™ve noticed his dad already presenting him as a brand too the fans my lad had his photo taken with Maher after the Hartlepool game in the car park and his dad was following him around giving out signed photographs which felt abit weired seeing as he aint really proved himself in the mens game. Felt as though his dad was putting him Ronaldo or Messi status.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s a bit of a stretch. I like Earing but to attribute any performance other than the Swindon one on him is going a bit far.

These are the Stats (Instat) for the current 6 midfielders who have played any significant minutesā€¦.the green star is the player dominant

2 Likes

Given that heā€™s played many less minutes than Kinsella and Comley so far (who are the pair I was putting him into context with), and there is still only a small amount of data to look at after just 5 games, it is a bit deceptive to compare him directly against their numbers BUT, going on averages (which is the only comparable measure that might possibly give some insight), Earing stacks up pretty well against them defensively, and more so in attack - the only area he seems to be particularly weaker in is aerial challenges.

Would be interesting to ;look at the updated data after 10/15/20 games (when all 3 have had more minutes on the pitch) and see they tell us then.

Having said that ā€¦ while I get the whole moneyball approach (I read this book on the subject when it came out a few years back - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Numbers-Game-Everything-About-Football/dp/0241963621), I still prefer my football to be analogue not digital. If a team goes purely off the numbers it might improve their success rate (although even that is not guaranteed), but it does nothing to make them more entertaining - which is probably more the reason why most of use watch the game.

1 Like

Hardly a great way to judge them. The only comparable stats there are the % stats as Earing has played far fewer minutes than Hutchinson, Kinsella and Comley, so naturally the numbers will be lower.

The green stars are in some odd places too. Maher with 9 lost balls being the ā€œbestā€, but heā€™s only played 101 minutes. Comley with 17 lost balls in 420 minutes is better.

PS I was being a bit tongue in cheek with the ā€œCoincidence?ā€ thing, but I do thing he does give us more creativity in the middle without compromising on defensive steel. Itā€™s just a question of who to pair him with.

Of course. At the moment itā€™s just a good way of judging the three that have played most. My feeling is the stats contradict perception.

I donā€™t know about all these stats they all need a good old fashioned kick up the jacksy after Tuesday nightā€™s debacle.Back to matters at hand and the upcoming Gillingham game, Iā€™d take a point but not a hanging on for dear life kind of point.Iā€™d like us to keep hold of the ball more and have players showing for it from midfield giving the centre halves (who unless they have a pretty easy passing option on hoof it every time) an option other than sticking snow on it.

1 Like

I much prefer Earing in the 8 role, heā€™s better as an attacking midfielder than Kinsella. Kins is a 4 definitely not an 8 imho. Nothing against Liam heā€™s the best tackler in the squad, Iā€™m not convinced he and Comley are the best fit.
Gillingham are on a bad run at present, something we need to take advantage of. We were terrible against struggling teams last season and we donā€™t want to bring that up again, do we Basil?
I predict a ā€œcomfortableā€ win.

2 Likes

Gillingham slow out the blocks, ainā€™t scoring, need a win, they must be praying to play a team that takes pity and shows empathy for their position and more than willing to lie down and roll over all in the name of sporting comradeship. Lump on home win.

3 Likes

Its got disappointment written all over it hasnā€™t it?

will be good to see if Flynn can get a reaction for this one.

3 Likes

Defo the type of team we kick start the season for lol
Look at the teams we broke non winning streaks for last year

2 Likes

I wonder if Comley could play the middle of the centre backs if you wanted a defender who can actually pass a ball?

1 Like

anyone know which pub to go to before the game?

Not sure how up to date this is mate but it mentions a couple on here.

@RobHarv3y Joe Riley was the player you forgot off the injury list, good video :+1:t2:

1 Like

Thatā€™s the one! :joy: was overtired from the Barrow trip still.

Iā€™ll link the video this evening as Iā€™ve got a ā€˜View from the Other Sideā€™ to post up

1 Like

Ive always had compassion for Gillingham Iā€™ve always considered them to be a very similar club to us.

2 Likes

Weā€™ve played eachother 112 times since the 20s according to 11v11.com

Must be up there as one of our most played fixtures.

Joe Edwards is returning from injury
Wonā€™t be back in time for this game but expected to make his return against Charlton on Tuesday

1 Like