D 0-0 vs Swindon Town (H) - League Two - Tue 14th March, 7:45pm

Our second home game of 2023 is finally here as we host Swindon Town in what is sure to be a hotly contested fixture.

Swindon head to WS1 sitting 6th in League Two with 41 points gained from the 26 fixtures they’ve played up to now. Their away record this season is 5 wins, 4 draws and 4 defeats.

Our visitors find themselves in a bit of a weird situation at the moment as their now ex-manager, Scott Lindsey (funnily enough born in Walsall) left the club in the play-off positions to take up the managerial reigns at Crawley Town who are a basket case of a club this season. Odd to say the least. If no managerial appointment is made before this fixture, The Robins will be led by a joint caretaker team of Gavin Gunning and Steve Mildenhall.

Looking at their squad, Swindon have a good mix of youth and experience, and it is the experienced side we will focus on. First up is midfielder Jonny Williams (who Wales fans commonly refer to as Jonniesta), who has 33 caps for the Welsh national team and did play at the recent 2022 Qatar World Cup. His experience is invaluable to his side, although he appears to have only made 7 appearances so far this season, presumably down to injury.

The second experienced player in their ranks is forward, Charlie Austin, who probably needs no introduction to many football fans. Austin was signed by the visitors as a youngster from local club Poole Town, and it is then that he started to make his name. After a career that has taken him into the Premier League and to a host of big clubs, he more recently had a spell in Australia playing for Brisbane Roar for whom he made 7 appearances, scoring.2 goals, before returning to the UK for family reasons, and re-signing for Swindon. Austin made his second debut for the club in their last fixture and made a goalscoring return, bagging after 25 minutes in a 5-0 rout of Grimsby Town.

Talking of fixtures, Swindon Town’s last six fixtures have been:

10th Dec - AFC Wimbledon (H) - Drew 0-0
17th Dec - Barrow (A) - Won 1-0
26th Dec - Walsall (H) - Lost 2-1
29th Dec - Northampton Town (A) - Won 2-1
1st Jan - Colchester United (A) - Lost 1-0
14th Jan - Grimsby Town (H) - Won 5-0

Onto The Saddlers now and we have seen top-scorer Danny Johnson recalled back to parent club Mansfield Town where he will continue to stay until a club pays them the figure they value him at. We have had at least one bid turned down already, but I am quietly confident we will see DJ in our colours again pretty soon. With 15 goals in 30 games, he definitely is the goalscorer we’ve craved for so long.

Jamma

The club have completed the signing of now ex-Forest Green Rovers captain and striker Jamille Matt, who regardless of whether Johnson comes back, should ease the goalscoring burden on other players, and will certainly become the focal point of the attack as and when he plays for us. He has recent experience in League Two and has scored over 30 goals over his last two seasons at this level. An exciting signing in this new-era for the club.

Ahead of this fixture there have been no new injury concerns so as far as we know we can select from a near fully-fit squad again. Who makes your starting XI for this game?

Part of the Bescot Brick Wall, Manny Monthe, is suspended for this game after his sending off against Tranmere Rovers last time out so will Michael Flynn stick new-boy Joe Low into his defence, or will Oisin McEntee get the nod? For me, McEntee would be the one I’d go for, as he brings a more natural balance to the defence.

What are your predictions for the game?

I wonder if Swindon bring enough fans do they get an automatic 1-0 head start, as they seem to love talking about how massive they are(n’t).

Anyway, I feel another big performance from the Bescot Boys, and 3 points for us. Let’s keep this good run of form going and keep building up a head of steam.

COME ON YOU REDS!

Walsall vs Swindon Town - Match Result
  • Walsall Win
  • Draw
  • Swindon Town Win

0 voters

1 Like

Hope we hammer the bastards, not just win

6 Likes

Very rare for a team to beat the same team 3 times in a season. That is why I have gone for a draw. Probably be 1-1.

3 Likes

Hopefully back to winning ways saturday be interesting to see who starts upfront got a feeling it might be DJT and Matt…

2-1 Matt, Wilkinson

UTS

Second - although as the other was against Mansfield I don’t blame you for putting them out of your mind.

We beat the shysters without DJ so hoping we can do the same against Swindle too. My main concern is that down at the County Ground Manny Monthe was a very big part of the win even without his goal. Still got the also immense Daniels so not totally bereft, and it will give us a chance to see more of McEntee and/or Low.

1 Like

I know, that’s what I’ve put. You have edited my post to make it say first… :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

This could easily be a p-p if weather continues

1 Like

Another tough one to contend with, I hope the loss of DJ won’t adversely affect the game plan.
It would be nice to get revenge for the 5-0 hammering they gave us, but we’re a totally different team now than we were back then.
If we continue to play like we have been doing recently will win the game to keep the streak going.

After seeing how quick the Leicester tickets are going, I hope we show up for this one too. Big game in our season and the lads deserve the backing!

2 Likes

I said yesterday that Monthe will be a big miss from the win we got down at their place. Of course there’s a good chance of no DJ on Saturday, but Earing also started that game as did Bennett with Knowles up top so that’s 3 other big changes from the team on Boxing Day.

Should also add that Gordon looked well off it thaymt day but seems to have recaptured his previous form since, and the whole team seemed a bit rusty early doors but improved as the game went on - and in games since.

This is the game where we find out if the depth of our squad us good enough to sustain a promotion challenge.

I reckon there will be a few extra on the gate, I have read a few people that have bought a ticket for Saturday to get a booking history for the Leicester game. Plus it seems like we have hardly played at home recently, especially on a Saturday.

Saturday is a bigger game than the Leicester game for me, as great as it is to have a cup run, League is more important, especially as we have a real chance this season.

4 Likes

I’d agree. Swindon always travel well too although I’m not sure on how many they’ve sold for this weekend. Should be a good game with a good crowd.

1 Like

I’m hoping that the players don’t have the Leicester game on their mind and hold back in fear of getting injured and missing it. Not just Swindon but Wimbledon next Tuesday, which is one of our games in hand that could put us well up in the play off places.

2 Likes

We will miss Manny’s experience at the back especially against Austin but we can still get the win imho
Just hope they aren’t thinking about the Leicester game and not getting injured MF over to you.

1 Like

Don’t think Flynn would allow it mate. He’ll know the magnitude of this game. The players are human though after all and it’s not every week they play in front of capacity crowds against premier league opposition.

1 Like

It’s a good point. It’s alright me saying I think the Swindon game is a bigger game, but it probably isn’t for the players. Even if it is only subconsciously the Leicester game is bound to be in their minds.

I’ve never really played football at any kind of level but I’d imagine once you are out there your focus does move to the game you are playing.

1 Like

I want to beat Swindon but the Leicester game is the far bigger one for me, a chance to beat a team from three divisions above us in the F A Cup, have we ever done that before? I’ve seen us beat Swindon plenty of times, and thrash them on at least a couple.

Think back to January '75, the wins over Grimsby and Bury are mostly forgotten but those who are old enough still talk about the victories against Newcastle and ManUre. The Leicester match is the one. It might turn out to be a damp squid, but win it and some of our youngsters will remember it in 60 years.

I officially have Cup Fever. :crazy_face:

1 Like

To be fair, despite what I said, my Son is super excited about the Leicester game.

I just don’t want our season to fade away. Even if we don’t eventually make it, keep the season alive as long as possible. I wouldn’t say no to beating Leicester !

We beat West Ham in the League cup whilst in division 4, not the FA Cup and we went out in the second leg. Can’t think of any others, very close v Leeds of course.

1 Like

Yes, that Leeds game still sticks in the craw, I can’t remember if the game even kicked off after the goal, we were so close to a huge win.

Cannot see this game going ahead tbh, which means Manny would miss the Dons game.