D 1-1 vs Barrow (H) - League Two - Tue 12th March, 7:45pm

I have just watched the highlights, and you’re absolutely right. These things are instinct, some players have it, and some don’t. DJ does, but he can’t do it from the bench.

Faal or Fail?

1 Like

Did Miller put his over? At least Faal got it on target.

1 Like

I’ve seen DJ miss chances just as “easy” to the man in the stand that’s never been in that position in his life….

Just as I’ve seen every striker in the world, instinctive or not, miss them.

THATS FOOTBALL. They’re human beings!!!

If there’s one thing in life that’s certain it’s that finishing has literally no explanation or reason.

If Haaland can miss v Man U then Faal, Hutch, DJ, DJT, Gordan can most certainly miss for Walsall!!!

3 Likes

I started going around that time but I don’t really remember that much. The 83-84 season is the first season I have real memories from.

1 Like

Just found the highlights on the Bradford thread from 21/22 season

Scroll to post 334

Miller put it wide

Would say Faals chance was easier but Millers miss was worse.

1 Like

I get what you’re saying and don’t hold any grudge.

But it was absurdly bad.

The conversion rate for clear cut chances isn’t as high as some believe, even at the highest levels. I read an article about it once, which I can’t find now. Surprising numbers. There are different levels of clear cut chance I would imagine so not sure how it is all worked out.

1 Like

Of course Faal should have put that away, it’s a miss that will disappoint him (as well as us) but the camera angle is deceptive. The keeper is a lot closer than I originally thought when I glimpsed at that that last night - he’s already diving. Try to imagine that from behind the goal.

As for whether we would have won having gone 2-0, who knows. The course of the game would have changed - we might have scored more, but then again, over the years a 2-0 lead for us has always been a dangerous lead. Barrow were no mugs.

2 Likes

The injuries have been a problem all season, now there a really big problem.
What bothers me is the length of time it takes to get players back. Our players aren’t out for a couple of weeks, it’s months away from the first team.
Knowles will be out a minimum of 6 weeks, more likely out for the season. Farq and DD out for another month in addition to the time already spent on the injury list.
Every player is putting a huge amount of effort, one has to wonder is that a contributing factor?
I don’t think we’d have half the injuries if Whitney was still here…just saying!

I think it hit his heel didn’t it, not sure he even got a shot in. I can’t remember it exactly now.

He got a fair bit of stick considering he did a decent job for us. Always put a shift in, often chasing hopeless hoofs, and still score about 13 goals I think it was?

However bad the miss, it was a great through ball. Gordon did well to get onto it, and whatever else went wrong, you can’t fault his ball in, or his decision to pass.

3 Likes

He did work hard, but seemed to be playing for the benefit of George Miller rather than Walsall FC.

Watching it again Faal has to check his run (he’d made up too much ground) just before he shoots which meant he was a bit off balance when shooting.

Perhaps in these situations it is better to arrive ‘late’ and have to stretch with momentum rather than arrive early and stumble. If that makes sense.

Had Faal not made it up there, that was what Earing would have had to do. He was slightly behind Faal.

There’s a saying when coaching forwards….

Space >> ball arrives >> player arrives

You get them in the wrong order you’re stuffed.

I also say to forwards nearly late is just in time….

These just make it easier there are no guarantees…players will always miss chances.

1 Like

So glad you finished that sentence at that point.What you and Pam do behind closed doors is your business.

1 Like

I agree M_S, we really missed his hold up play which adds a different dimension to our attacking.

1 Like

I can see it clearly, even now as me and my lad were right behind the goal
Got his legs muddled up somehow

1 Like

I think you need at least one of Matt and Faal on the pitch, otherwise there’s just not the physical presence. In fact ,we’ve done well during the overlap when they’ve both been on. Matt offers more at both ends of the pitch atm.

2 Likes