D 1-1 vs Barrow (H) - League Two - Tue 12th March, 7:45pm

We have an injury list that continues to grow and have missed some absolute sitters tonight.
Barrow are well organised and hard working so all in all I’m happy with the point.
We are still in with a chance but Colchester is now a must win game.
Thankfully we do really well against teams at the bottom end of the table :cry:.
After such a good run we suddenly look flat and somehow MS is going to have to reignite them.

1 Like

Was coming the match from Liverpool. Said one hour delays as I set off at 4. So didn’t think it would be a problem.

8 hours later I’ve arrived.

Staying down here for the night at my sisters.

Listened to the game. Sounds like it could have gone either way. A well ground out point in the end.

Nine games to go and the season is still well alive. I think we’re running out of gas (for gas read players) so will come up a bit short. But these last few weeks of being in and around the business end of the table at the business end of the season has been a breath of fresh air.

12 Likes

Christ, Walsall FC.

Reminds me of when i got stuck in Coventry for 9 hours. wank.

Faal Miss

If anybody can explain to me, properly, how a professional footballer fails to score a goal from that position, especially being a striker, I’d love to hear it.

This is what cost us all 3 points tonight.

2 Likes

Well… 2 points as we drew lol!

From there I think my 22wk old puppy could’ve scored lol!

Play Faal in defence and (Superstar in the making) Adegboyega (He scores when wants!) up front Saturday? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

@RobHarv3y

Christ, its gets worse everytime i look at it :face_with_peeking_eye:

I think if he’d flicked it up, juggled it a few times, kicked it over his shoulder and then performed a scorpion kick… he’d of got closer to scoring.

Absolutely begging for him just to sweep/guide it into the other corner with his right foot.

Painful.

1 Like
1 Like

It’s got a technical name but I’ll call it hazard focus because I can’t remember. You see it often in car crashes. It’s caused by people looking for the hazards near them in pressure situations. For the driver it’s a tree, a wall, a power pole, and for the footballer it’s the keeper, defender, or post, for example.

Your brain fixates on these instead of the gaps you should be aiming for, and the result is almost inevitable. I’m guessing Faal couldn’t believe what he was seeing and fell victim to this. Unfortunate really.

6 Likes

Barrow hit the woodwork twice and will feel just as disappointed.

They probably look at us and go that Walsall team make you work hard.

But as an Example Barrow are there. Managed well a smaller club with no resources can do the business in L2.

Not going to get hung up on missed chances. We had two good ones. More focus on why we didn’t carve out more …

No excuses Walsall FC.

Every striker misses sitters: Haaland’s Miss against Man Utd was bad.

If you look at our goal, I think Faal blocks off the keeper for Rollin’s finish.

Faal is raw, gangly, clumsy and unorthodox but he is also unpredictable and spontaneous: his first goal for Walsall was a belter!

I agree that DJ could be crucial for the run in but we just need to stick together.

When we last had a good team, we were losing to Colchester (I think) when 2 late goals, including a set piece scramble from Matt Preston, helped to keep the season alive. If it was Colchester, it’s ironic who our next opponents are.

If everybody sticks together, they all have a part to play. If it doesn’t work out, it would probably be worth pushing the boat out for Draper in the summer, but until then, the players we have on our books are certainly putting a shift in and having a right good go!

2 Likes

Down to the bare bones, we could have won against a team who’ll at worst make the play-offs. I doubt their manager was dissatisfied with their performance. Maybe this season won’t be the year , but if not, next could be something special.

Interesting Faal went off with exhaustion ,according to Sadler. The way he went down, I thought he’d pulled a muscle.

3 Likes

0 wins in 8 against Barrow.
Does this make them our bogey team?

Explained a little here :-

Don’t miss….don’t miss……guess what happens….

The players are human beings.

2 Likes

Pete Wild happy with a point and their performance

Really happy , as I thought he’d be. That interviewer seems to have gone on the same," How to answer your own questions" course ours has.

2 Likes

Decent point on the balance of play but feels like 2 dropped with that miss.
Looked like Mayo was going to redeem himself but in the end showed why he is our 8th choice at cb

Pete Wild comes across really well, level headed not getting carried away and keeping his players focused.

Without aiming to knock the player, which I’m definitely not. And also without trying to say your point has no merit which I’m also not. It is also just a lack of composure, which a lot of players have, especially at the lower levels but also higher up the leagues.

I feel as though composure is a natural ability and not that easy to coach. Faal will miss more than he scores, he has already probably missed half a dozen sitters for us. I still like him and feel there is a lot more to come from him.

Regardless of where we finish in the league, I am definitely enjoying watching Walsall now far more than I was this time last season, where I had almost lost the will to go at all. It’s also worth remembering that two teams play a football match, and Barrow were a tricky opponent.

9 Likes

To be fair to Faal the freeze frame does him no favours as it looks as if he has all the time in the world.

It is an unforgivable miss though.

Didnt George Miller miss an absolute sitter? Trying to recall if that was better/worse than Faals miss.