D 1-1 vs Colchester United (H) - League Two - Tue 13th Sept, 7:45pm

This won’t happen… but I’d go:

Evans

Bennett Daniels Monthe Allen

Earing Comley Hutchinson

Maher Johnson Knowles

I can but dream.

We have seen lately that Flynn likes to have a tinker or pull something different out the hat so i think most likely we will see is:

Evans

Bennett Daniels Clarke Monthe Allen

Kinsella Comley Hutchinson

Knowles

Johnson

But as I said, Flynn tends to mix things up.

This game will tell us more than the Northampton game would have…

The main difference between this Walsall side and the previous so far has been the ability to beat poor sides.

Anything but a win here and I would suggest it’s starting to become a little concerning (again).

I fancy us though. 2-0.

2 Likes

Just need to be a bit more positive at home I think mate - and I would like to see the switch to 433 at home - think it suits us better. Given it’s been 10 days, we might even see a surprise like a lesser spotted Liam Gordon on the bench too.

No excuses here, we’ve had a nice break, these are really poor, we really need to be winning these games at home if we have any hope of being anything more than lower half.

Looking forward to my first home midweek game of the season. Providing of course nobody chips a nail or something between now and then and we hold a 4 day nationwide mourning session.

1 Like

I suspect a 1-1, possibly with them scoring first and us dominating chances but just getting a Johnson equaliser to show for it.

To be fair to their manager, not doing so well this season but that’s a pretty decent record as manager of a fairly poor, lower fourth division team. And they clearly have a couple of useful players.

Yep, the cup game v Charlton was a good performance v higher ranked team. That 11 selected seemed to have about 5-6 attackers in it yet seemed the balance was there.

Comley + Kins is simply too negative in these type of games, need to attempt to get on front foot more.

1 Like

Game will go ahead.

https://twitter.com/EFL_Comms/status/1569249459103481856?t=cMPp4eX0LnzWieQGv2B9fg&s=19

2 Likes

Yep, spot on. Time to actually play like the home side - or at least a side that isn’t too worried about the opposition.

I think we can afford to be like that against Colchester - but understand a different mindset against teams in the top 7/10.

1 Like

Whilst I don’t necessarily agree that we need Comley and Kinsella in a starting line up, this obsession with them being too negative seems to completely ignore the fact they played in what most consider out most open and attacking performance of the season v Hartlepool :man_shrugging::man_shrugging:

… and forgetting all the other performances since ?

I don’t think the balance is right in the side - especially in the 352.

Absolutely spot on.I could sort of understand it if we were in the playoffs and playing sides above us or even top of the league that sort of scenario because a point wouldn’t be a bad result against a side that’s flying high but someone like this needs to be taken to the cleaners.If he plays two holding midfielders tomorrow against this lot he needs shooting(metaphorically speaking)in my opinion.

So by definition what you’re suggesting is that that performance was in spite of not because of?

So it looks like a minutes silence followed by singing god save the king. Fine with the first bit, the second not so.

I’d do the minutes silence for any death, but I’m not honouring that institution.

3 Likes

Leyton Orient have confirmed that Saturdays game is on

3 Likes

I’ll stay in the pub for 5.

2 Likes

Nope. It’s one game in what? 10? I like to look at the emerging pattern over several games, not just one isolated game.

As I also said a few weeks ago, there will be times when a Comley Kinsella works, and it works in a 352 - dependent on the opposition (could be tomorrow ? Who knows?) but I’d like to see a bit more intent at home - we’ve been found out a little recently, and we look a little devoid of ideas, and a little clunky in the final third when we are at home.

Up to Flynn to get the right side for the match - be interesting to see what he does. We played well against Bradford, so does he stick with how we ended there? Or twist and revert to something more established ?

1 Like

I’m not so much disagreeing as I am playing devils advocate. It seems that for many people the Comley / Kinsella debate has become the focus of the blame when in actual fact it’s clear from that first game that if other factors are in place that combo is far from being the sole reason for some poor performances since.

In terms of emerging patterns, there have been none since the first 4 games….which were solid and consistent even if they weren’t to everyone’s inflated approval levels following Hartlepool. But there was at least a pattern of success.

With three wins and a draw and only one goal conceded from those 4 games, Swindon was the only game where things were mixed up but Comley was brought on after 51 minutes and we did revert to the same formation we’d previously been playing.

Since then it’s been a mess of chucking as much mud as we can and seeing what sticks.

We’ve gone 442, 433, 343, 532 and 352. We’ve seen Monthe at left back, Bennett brought in, white left out, hutchinson left out, white at CB, Knowles on the left, Centre and up front, Williams in then out, Allen as a full back and a winger, hutchinson played deep, Bennett as a winger, Maher starting league games well ahead of what’s warranted, Earing in and then out, hutchinson and White dragged off before half time…….

It’s been terribly impatient from fans and staff when actually there was a pretty solid foundation and system being built that just needed refining developing improving and polishing….it needed people to be realistic more than anything else.

If we’d not won so convincingly on day 1 there’d have been a completely different perception and far more satisfaction associated with the performances (team and individual) and results against Newport and Stevenage rather than a clamour for change and a clamour for more attacking intent when actually there were plenty of positives in an attacking sense even if goals weren’t flowing in from all angles every week….and the Comley / Kinsella partnership was a cornerstone to allowing other players more freedom rather than the reason for the side looking so limited.

Fantastic. Looking forward to it.

1 Like

Same team as at Bradford where we created a 100 chances , why change? … I haven’t seen anything this season to suggest there’s a better alternative.

Either way 3 points please.

2 Likes

I think the best managers pick a team for the opposition, and not purely on the previous game.

It obviously helps (in terms of consistent selection) if the team is winning, confident and effective - I don’t think we are any of those things right now - but that could change.

The good news is we have had 10 days to iron out any deficiencies and study Colchester more in depth - so I’d like to think we will be at them straight away.