D 1-1 vs Colchester United (H) - League Two - Tue 13th Sept, 7:45pm

Hence my selection preference, Maher and Earing haven’t made the shirt theirs in my opinion.

I have no favourites in this squad, but I do like to judge fairly.

Within reason. Darrell’s ‘nullify the opposition at all costs, even at the expense of our own style and creativity’ belongs in the bin.

2 Likes

Yeah, youve got your mate Darrell at one end of the spectrum, then we swung wildly to MT who was too stubborn to change a clearly deficient system (but wasn’t helped by JF) - we just need a settled 7/8 - and then fill in given the opposition/form/injury. To be fair I don’t think we are far away, just need to have a bit more intent at home I feel.

2 Likes

This is a game we should be winning, not just to instill some confidence in the team but recent form has us looking at the wrong end of the table.
Playing Earing in the correct position (attacking midfield) will bring out the player we saw last season, it’s taking MF some time to recognize this as he continues to juggle with formations and selecting players out of their natural positions.
We have to start putting away the chances we create and can’t rely on just DJ to score goals. As Flynn said the other day, I don’t care who scores just as long as we do.
UTS.

Think the importance of the press is overlooked, too. If we’re set up to press with Kins and Comley we have evidence that the formation/selection works WHEN the creative figures (Hutch, Allen etc) are on their game.

The tempo and intensity has been up and down since the start of the season, and it’s hard to work out if that’s because of fitness, application (it should be neither) or because Flynn isn’t 100% sure if it’s for us.

If we’re not going to commit to the press and counter, particularly at home, I’d agree we need more attacking presence, but you have to be confident that your attacking/transitional players will step up in the absence of Kins/Coms, and given the form of a few of them I think Flynn is hesitant to do so.

1 Like

Yep agree with all of that.

However, I don’t think we are pressing team from what I’ve seen. Certainly not effectively - apart from the first couple of games.

Barrow was a fine example of us just randomly passing around the back without any options - and that’s sort of continued. We tend to play a lot of channel ball recently - I just don’t think the combination is right in the midfield, the link between the midfield and forwards, and the wing backs (I.e. white over Bennett which is strange).

1 Like

Agree, though I thought we were just out-fought, out-thought and outplayed at Barrow.

I’d also say that we are (in spite of the stated lack of out-balls, forward passers, ball carriers etc) making chances of a good enough quality that we should have more points. Unfortunately we’re horribly reliant on Johnson to finish them.

2 Likes

Here’s the main issue :point_up:

Likely to be a pretty low key sombre affair but we have to get back to playing. From a selfish point of view an extended break maybe just what the doctor ordered to allow Flynn to work his magic on the training ground and further settle in and embed the system on those players who arrived later in the summer.

2 Likes

Yep. Surprised more fans didn’t see it this way.

Why?

1 Like

Good chance this to kick start our season let’s hope we go out on the front foot. 3-1 win . Hoping knowles can grab his first goal for his own confidence.
Attendance 4475 ( 125 )

Well it’s a midweek game against hardly high profile opposition and we’re still in a period of national mourning, first game since the death of Her Majesty, it’s going to be a strange one that’s for sure.

1 Like

I think you overestimate the term ‘National mourning’.

I literally haven’t come across anyone who’s actually mourning at all. To be honest I think there was more ‘National MOANING’ about games being called off! I reckon 99.9% of people will be buzzing to be back at football already.

Honestly, it’s a news event. I don’t understand how there is any emotion or grief attached to someone dying who I didn’t know, had never met and had never had any contact with :man_shrugging: Personally it was newsworthy for 24 hours….at best.

9 Likes

Its similar to what people were saying when we returned to games after the lockdowns. Loads of people saying it will be strange and wondering how people would react to being in crowds. In reality the vast majority seemed just to carry on as normal.

6 Likes

Covered extensively elsewhere. Can we stick to talking football on the match thread please? Ta.

8 Likes

There will definitely be a different tone around the game, expect the pre match music to be tones down and the announcements to be respectful as other media have followed on the days since the sad passing. Hope there is a rendition of God Save The King.

2 Likes

:joy::joy::joy:

Im sure Everton Andy will be in full voice.

Why on earth does anyone take this account seriously

I think we will play similar to Bradford

Evans
White daniels Clarke monthe
Bennet kinsella Comley allen
Knowles Johnson

I doubt he’d want to change the team after losing to Bradford

Not anything like I’d play but no way is Flynn not going for his true fans trusted midfield dynamos

There won’t be. It’ll be full throttle get on with the football. Thank god.

No need to be. I expect a normal play list.

I hope there isn’t. A minutes silence will be sufficient.

I expect us to play at high tempo and go for goals early doors. Colchester will be no push overs and their last few signings in the window were pretty decent. They’re a better side than what the league table currently shows.

1 Like