D 1-1 vs Newport County (H) - League Two - Sat 18th Feb, 3pm

Nicely set up for a point.

Oh yeah of course it’s defensive because it has one centre forward and two holding midfielders - how stupid of me.

Now maybe look at it with both full backs high, both wingers on the inside left and right channels and hutchinson pushed right on.

It’s not about how many forwards you use it’s about how you get the ball to them, where you get it to them and how you support them. With this I’d want 4 players in the box for all deliveries. Recently we’ve had 1 or at best 2.

Would you agree that they one aren’t natural wing backs (as full backs high to me is the same thing) two aren’t brave enough to keep doing the attacking side of the game and three when they rarely do get up there we have no end product?.That’s not me being an arse either that’s just what I’ve witnessed from our wing backs in this system so far this season.

Interesting. A few problems I see with that set up. Not trying to be picky or anything, just a few observations.

I assume Knowles and Allen are playing wide. I think they would naturally do that anyway. White and Gordon aren’t great at attacking but would at least offer some support down the wings.

Sounds great but who are Knowles and Allen crossing to? Just Matt, Hutch would need to become really advanced almost like a second striker and I’m not sure that is his game. He is the one player that can put a decent ball in. You would probably need others joining the attack too.

I’m not saying it can’t work, but I can see ways if it is played wrong where it could be really ugly.

We really need to win this today if we have any aspirations of finishing in the upper echelons.

Regardless of the setup, I just hope we really have a go today.

2 Likes

Think if we are going to get the best out of Stevens and Matt we need to keep playing them after all they were the best and highest scoring partnership by far last season, as yet I agree we haven’t seen much to get excited about , but obviously they have something about them.
Could be the system needs tweaking to get the best out of them.

Yes, it is to do with the mentality not the specific players.

1 Like

The Michael Flynn derby.

Which means it will be attritional, hard fought and generally ugly. Coming down to winning a few individual battles, wanting it more and desire.

I’m gonna go 0-1 because it just feels that kind of day.

4,450 (325).

1 Like

Interests me that FGR were willing to let Matt go and let Stevens out on loan whilst they were struggling at the very bottom of the 3rd Division and needing goals.
Perhaps they knew something that Flynn didn’t?
Very disappointed in Matt so far, has flapped at a number of relatively easy chances that DJ would have put away with ease, still not at all convinced that the two Matts will replace our goal machine.
Losing Bennett and particularly DJ ruined our chances of a play off place, we need goals and we ain’t gettin 'em currently. The teams Flynn has put out recently look disjointed and ill organized (surely that is his responsibility?) unable to show the slightest ability of any decent attacking flow.
Apart from that everything is great!!!
Today, heart begs for a comfortable 2-0 win (though where the goals might come from is a another debate!) Head says boring 0-0 again.

Hope your score prediction is as wrong as your crowd prediction @pt. Read that they are bringing a bumper audience with them.

1 Like

I hope so too.

I’m rarely right so there’s a very decent chance.

1 Like

We need to win this and Tuesday night if we are to have any realistic chance of being in the mix for the top 7. Hopes are fading but it’s not dead yet.

I always fancy us at home, so I am going with a 2-1 win. Attendance 5369.

Both my boys attending with me again today. Happy days, Up The Saddlers.

6 Likes

I agree they haven’t looked great, just think you have to persevere otherwise you definitely won’t get anything out of them

We’re certainly not ill organised. That’s a ridiculous suggestion. But yes, attacking wise we’re struggling.

You’d rely on Songoo and Allen to kick start our promotion push ?

1 Like

It would look and feel much better if that were to happen mate.At home to two sides below you you have to take at least 4 points surely.

1 Like

Ye the crowd looks small tbf, but you can’t blame fans for not shelling out to watch the Football we’ve been serving up

1 Like

I fancy us today. 2-0 win.

I don’t think 4 is enough, even it if it is more realistic. Our away record isn’t great at all so we are relying on being super good at home.

The more I look at the league table the more it looks very unlikely we will make it this season. A few wins though and it can all look different. Even if we don’t make it, would be nice to keep the season alive as long as possible.

2 Likes