D 1-1 vs Newport County (H) - League Two - Sat 18th Feb, 3pm

Michael Flynn’s previous employers are our visitors to WS1 this weekend, as we host Newport County.

The Exiles arrive here sitting 18th in League Two perhaps starting to keep one eye on those behind them as they could be dragged into a relegation dog fight unless things improve for them.

Since we played them earlier in the season, there has been a change of manager with ex-Mansfield Town chief, Graham Coghlan taking over from James Rowberry in October 2022. He is their 52nd ever manager, and currently his record with them stands at P19, W6, D7, L6.

Their squad contains two ex-Saddlers in the form of right-back Cameron Norman and centre-back James Clarke, both of whom joined the club following the expiry of their contracts with us in June 2021. Incidentally, Clarke’s only goal for his current employers came against us in September 2021, where he scored an 87th minute winner past us!

Newport County’s recent form is as below:

Onto The Saddlers now, and following what looked like a very uninspiring 0-0 draw at Colchester United in midweek, we now find ourselves winless in 5 league games, with little to no threat of scoring goals, with only 2 goals being scored since and including the draw at Tranmere on 14th January, and one of those was in that game from Danny Johnson.

The boss has suggested that our next three games have become ‘must-win’, rather than ‘must not lose’, therefore we should keep our fingers crossed for more attacking play and hopefully at least six points from those three fixtures.

Heading into this game, what do you feel the starting XI should be? I didn’t managed to catch any of the midweek game so I have no opinions on this and look forward to seeing your suggestions. Conor Wilkinson will certainly be missing, although his injury isn’t anywhere near as bad as many first feared, so hopefully we only see him out for a matter of days rather than any longer.

Rumours have it that the visitors are bringing 1000+ supporters with them, so it is sure to be a good atmosphere at the ground and perhaps another 6000+ attendance. They can’t say we aren’t supporting them.

How do you see this game going? Get your predictions in.

Keep on backing the boys and let’s get those three points in the bag. Also, a big thank you to Michael Flynn who recently celebrated one year in charge at the club. The thank you is for brining some pride back to the team and our supporters, and for making us a team again. For the most part, he has managed to reconnect the players and supporters to being together, which after recent seasons cannot have been an easy task. Let’s hope we continue to see progression with him at the helm. He, and we, deserve it.

Up The Saddlers!

Walsall vs Newport County - Match Result
  • Walsall Win
  • Draw
  • Newport County Win

0 voters

1 Like

As ever, perfectly delivered. :+1:t2:

5 Likes

Crodders has gone for a Walsall win, it must be a hard place to visit eh? @KingCrod

2 Likes

1st class as always! Cheers Rob!

Spotted some Newport fans on twitter billing this as Newport County vs the Newport County 2018/19 re-enactment club which made me chuckle :slight_smile:

Remember folks - No willmott this game

1 Like

Has anyone got any stats on Newport’s left back’s bowel movements?

I heard he became inavertantly egg-bound midweek following a cheeky late night scotch-egg, and four imodium that he mistook for paracetamol…such fine margins in the beautiful game and its outcomes.

Rumour I heard said that was the right back… he’s right backed up at the mo I hear.

Good lol

Ok, sweep stake on how long from being on the pitch it takes Clarke to hold off an attacker, go down and win a free kick just outside their area. I’ll go for 32 seconds.

Perhaps he can have a word with Knowlesy about how to go down and actually win a free kick.

2 Likes

Must win to maintain hope of the playoffs.

1 Like

The 2nd class preview arrives next Wednesday morning.

3 Likes

I hope we play 4 at the back and get more men up the park. We dont help ourselves when we have 1 or 2 free in central defence all game.

Hope it is a better game than the one at their place, but I’d happily settle for the same outcome.

1 Like

Hopefully we try and take charge of this one, play on the front foot and start creating some chances for Matt and Stevens.

I’d go:

Evans

White
Daniels
Monthe

Knowles
Comley
Maddox
Hutchinson
Gordon

Stevens
Matt

That would also be my team.

With the way we are playing, it does not seem to matter much whether we play teams from the top or the bottom of the league. The only difference is that Newport do not have anyone like Moncur who can run the game so it is likely we might get more possession than normal. An early goal and we should win, otherwise another draw is on the cards.

1 Like

A win requires us to out score the opposition. On recent performances it’s hard to see where these goals are coming from. Another bore draw is my expectation sadly.

For me this is an absolutely huge fixture in the context of which way our season goes. We have hit something of a flat spot amidst a particularly challenging run of fixtures. However we now embark on what looks on paper at least an easier batch of fixtures and there are still enough games and points up for grabs for this season to have a successful conclusion but with every game that passes the wriggle room becomes a little less.

Personally I don’t see an awful lot wrong with our performances that a little more craft in the final third wouldn’t put right so no need for wholesale changes. One alteration I’d like Micky make is the re-introduction of Doug Taylor to the starting line-up alongside Matt, a combination that I am sure will give League Two defenders some sleepless nights adding much needed firepower alongside power and pace.

Good to see the fans still backing the club with another bumper audience in excess of 6,000 expected.

1 Like

Have you got shares in DJT or something? :joy:

I totally agree with the manager when he said we need wins if we’re to mount a challenge for play off places.
We’re missing DJ’s goals badly, he’s gone now, so we have to rely on who we have. The two new lads up front need to start bulging the net, I’ve yet to see a little cohesiveness between the pair of them given they know each other’s game so we’ll. They scored a lot of goals together last season.
I don’t really who scores as long as we do.
As always, our fans will cheer them on to victory.

With Willmott loan-tied, we can at least have DJT in the squad, if he is still around.

I would not start with him but he was making some progress so it is a pity he has not been involved at all recently.

6 Likes

I think we will scrape a 1-0 win. It won’t be pretty. UTS

2 Likes