D 1-1 vs Stockport County (A) - League Two - Sat 1st Oct, 3pm

Now they are back in the league, we can dust off that old chestnut - Which football league ground is closest to the banks of the Mersey?

Is is Anfield or Goodison? Aha, trick question it’s Prenton Park! Nope it’s Edgeley Park which is fairly close to the source rather than the mouth.

3 Likes

Same here. House move has been delayed a week so we can make this one now. Good to see there’s no price increase with pay on the day, should be a fair few walk ups aswell.

Looking like we’re expecting a tough time!

Wrap up warm if you’re going, it’s been known to be windy up there in October.

Bet it won’t be as bad as the Edgeley Park tempest we had one visit (1999?)

Gale force winds and torrential rain came from nowhere during half time and we were on an open terrace with no cover apart for the very small bogs that only a few could cram into (not that it mattered as you were already soaked to the bone before you could get to them). The ref brought the players on for the second half but had to take them off again as the rain was so bad he couldn’t see both ends!

Then just as sudden as it started it stopped and the sun came out. God knows what it would be like if it had happened now with global warming and all that., :cloud_with_lightning_and_rain: :wind_face:

3 Likes

Worryingly I’m look down the table currently rather than up, the below would indicate the chances are we will find ourselves in 15th, 17th or 18th come 5pm on Saturday :grimacing:

My Dad made it to the toilet before it was full, I didn’t…

Getting soaked at away games was quite common around that time it seemed. The most soaked I have ever come out of a football ground was at Fulham the season before. It wasn’t as heavy as at Stockport but it was still bounce a foot off the floor type rain that went on pretty much the whole match. I dunno what I am telling you for you was no doubt there!

On the way back when the car heater kicked in, we had to pull over as our driver couldn’t see, it was like a steam room. I think it was the week after we got a decent soaking at Bristol Rovers but that was well worth it for a very memorable game.

3 Likes

Remember that! The rain was horizontal and it was like a tornado rolled across the pitch with people sprinting for shelter - low and behold got soaked and the car on the.way back had wet shirts, jumpers socks all over the heaters blasting out, can’t remember the year though!

1 Like

I was there but luckily was in the covered seats. Worst I have been in watching Walsall was at Bristol City early in 1981. When we got back on the coach there was steam coming off people’s clothing!

The problem is midfield who can’t retain the ball and string 3 passes together. Furthermore, they aren’t available to receive the ball from defence and so everything is being launched aimlessly forward.

Comley and Kinsella can only play the way they are facing.
Earing could do a job if fit, but out for 12 weeks
Riley - who knows
Maddox is more offensive, better as a #10.
Hutchinson flatters to deceive. Good when he gets the ball, but out of the game for long periods.
Knowles is a #10.
Gordon and Allen are wing backs
Which leaves Maher, who I’d play as he is still fearless and always looks forward.
I think we are missing Sam Perry. He could receive a ball and pick an offensive pass.
I’d be tempted to play Bennett in midfield; works hard, difficult to disposes, box to box.

Headache of a team selection, need to somehow conjure an effective midfield from the players we have.
When in crisis, revert to who you can rely upon.

My unlikely team selection is:

Evans
White, Daniel, Clarke, Monthe, Gordon
Kinsella, Bennett
Maher
Johnson, Williams

1 Like

I remember a game where the players were taken off the pitch at Stockport but that was 1995. I have just looked it up and it was January 20th and it was blooming cold.The reason we came off was a blizzard but we won 1-0 .Scott Houghton scoring our winner.It was the coldest I have ever been at a match.I don’t want the same to happen tomorrow but I would take the result.

1 Like

Hoping to make it to this one, only ever been to Edgeley Park once.

I was there at the back trying to stand under the scoreboard to keep dry. Had travelled down from Uni with a Stockport supporter and when we met after the match, he was somewhat smug at the fact he was dry and I resembled a wet dog.

I had to make the decision of either going to Stockport or the Albion away match as money was in short supply. I chose Stockport and got soaked and missed the 1-0 against the Albion. Sums up my ability to make decisions!

2 Likes

Change my mind on this one, I’m now going :joy:

Still expecting a loss though.

1 Like

Another player who magically becomes better when he’s not available to play.

Incidentally Sam Perry may even be injured at the moment (suits us sir) as he’s not featured in any of their last three games but up until that point he’s played 7 games for Yeovil and had precisely :-

0 goals
0 assists
0 chances created
0 key passes
0 shots on target

Of course he may be playing deeper but he’s only averaging 22 passes a game at 72% pass completion.

Who should he replace exactly?

1 Like

Everybody is expecting a loss, weem Walsall aye we!
We have that many ‘injuries’ the subs bench will probably be made up of 15 yo’ s or some of the Ladies team!

Not sure it was that game as I remember the score being 1-1, and I took along a mate from my local (a Leeds fan) so it had to be after 1998 when i started using it more regularly. We were both soaked but he thought it was the best laugh he’d ever had at a game.

The only problem I find with Walsall is if we score first and early we have the propensity to sit back and hold on for grim life rather than going for the jugular whilst the opposition is on the ropes pointing fingers at each other

Looks like 2 games at Stockport have been weather affected then!!! I remember it well my daughters fella, now son -in -law, comes from that area and there were 5 of us frozen to death on that open end.

2 Likes

I remember the blizzard when the teams went off - nearly as cold as that Oldham game over Xmas and new year when the pitch was frozen and still played. The coldest I have ever been at a game.

1 Like