D 1-1 vs Sutton United (H) - League Two - Sat 1st April, 3pm

QueenCrod?

1 Like

More of a Queen Consort to be honest Andy.

1 Like

Line up. I would start Maher every game from now to the end of the season.
We need someone who is fearless.
We donā€™t need players in midfield who can only play the direction their facing.
We need people who want the ball.

My team would be:

Evans,
White, Daniels, Monthe,
Knowles, Maher, Comley, Hutchinson, Gordon
Stevens, Matt

Bench:
Maddox,
Riley,
Low,
Smith,
Wilkinson,
McEntee,
Allen or Kinsella

Definitely not:
Williams
DJT
Labadie
Songo

1 Like

Bar that Grimsby game Sutton ainā€™t lost in a while so will be a tough one, play offs still on for them also so theyā€™ll be right up for it

Oh how I wish we could compete with the likes of Suttonā€¦

3 Likes

Still only 70 and after his exploits for Charlton, could probably still do a job for us.

1 Like

Yes, and Bradford, Mansfield and Barrow are all at home on Saturday to teams from the bottom half, with the first two named having a game in hand, so Sutton canā€™t afford too many slips.
So it could be an interesting game. Entertaining as well? Hmmā€¦ :thinking:

Behave.

2 Likes

:grin: :laughing:

Evans (as he is our only keeper)
         McEntee - Daniels - Monthe
       Riley - Maddox/Comley - Hutchinson - Gordon
                           Maher
                 Stevens - Matt/Wilkinson

I find the constant clamour for RAM to start games strange, if not a little annoying if Iā€™m honest. I mean I get that fans of all clubs yearn for a home grown talent but I just do t understand what anyone thinks it gains. For him or the club.

Firstly, whatā€™s he done to deserve it? I mean he trains with them every day and the staff havenā€™t seen fit to add him to a squad or give him minutes ahead of anyone else, so that tells me something in itself.

Heā€™s getting games in the youth team and like last week the Senior Cup. Now the youth team, the lowest level of pro football youth team you get btw, should be an absolute doddle for him and while I know itā€™s not always that easy, you have to look at players his age or similar playing in league two on loan for premier league clubsā€¦ā€¦there arenā€™t manyā€¦ā€¦the few that are getting game time are generally 19/20 not 17/18ā€¦and thereā€™s a huge difference. Thereā€™s also a huge difference in what the Catagory 1 clubs are producing and sending out on loan. I dont think RAM is at the level of most of the Cat 1 youth team players and there really arenā€™t many, if any, getting minutes in league 2.

Secondly, is it going to benefit him? 18 years old coming into a side vereft of confidence, a fan base thatā€™s increasingly frustrated and in the most part voicing it with a chorus of boos at half time and full time (I even heard some pre match boos recently!!). Howā€™s that beneficial for a young player to come in and be part of that environment? Whoā€™s got time, at the moment to sacrifice their own performance or take their eye off the ball slightly to make sure RAM is settled and being taken care of?

Lastly, whatā€™s he going to offer? Itā€™s ok saying heā€™s brave and creative and will want the ball but howā€™s that changing Evans McEntee or Whites insistence on booting the ball as far as they can everytime they get it? The players we have (ie Hutchinson and Maddox who come from premier league clubs) are having trouble getting anyone to pass the bloody ball to them, how is RAM going to change it?

Heā€™s still going to find a game going on at a fair few miles an hour quicker than heā€™s ever experienced, against players 2/3 stone heavier, with a football thatā€™s generally 30/40 feet on the air higher than heā€™s used to for 80/90% of the time itā€™s in play!!!

RAM needs to see out the season and get himself on loan because my feeling is heā€™ll be first get away from the first team next season than he is right now.

7 Likes

Is the problem Evans, McEntee, White etc, or is the problem there is no one showing themselves to receive the ball?

On Tuesday, when the defence played short balls into midfield, Riley and Kinsella immediately passed it back to them. Hutchinson tends to work well when picking up the ball in the opponents half, but rarely has the space to receive and turn in our own half - why is this?

We seem incapable of finding space and yet the opposition appear to always have time and space.

I would go with RAM if only to give him more experience. He canā€™t do worse than Comley, Kinsella, Riley, Songo, Maddox and Hutchinson have done in recent weeks.

No the problem is most definitely the players not wanting to pass into midfield. I donā€™t buy this ā€˜not showingā€™ rubbish and if any one isnā€™t showing itā€™s actually just because theyā€™ve given up on it. Ive watched very closely and even when Evans gives the ball to any of the back 3 (which isnt very often) they either donā€™t look or they are reluctant to pay through the press or through lines into midfield. What youā€™ll end up with is a midfield player coming so deep heā€™s taking it off a defenders toes which is pointless anyway.

They didnā€™t play into midfield. The midfielders came so deep they bounced it into them and back out again almost still in the back line. Thatā€™s because if you come that deep the opposition press (midfield and forwards) can see you, stay goal side and are happy to see you pass backwards. Theyā€™re also as happy for you to try and turn and or take them on because they know they have the numerical advantage (pretty much 11 behind the ball), have set the trap and can risk springing forward to steal the ball in dangerous areas.

Hutchinson is fine coming that deep but whatā€™s the point? We want our most attacking midfield player to come that deep and get the ball? Probably exactly where opposition managers are happy for him to take it? The idea is we get him the ball beyond their midfield press so heā€™s turned and facing goal not in front of it.

We have some players constantly in space but thatā€™s no bloody use unless you see it and have the courage to pass it to them. Opposition teams seem to have time and space because they have a shape and have worked on a strategy to move the ball into it or into their most dangerous players and work off that. Swindon are patient and move the ball across the pitch and backwards in order to move you around and create the space. When they have done they they try and exploit it. Stevenage go long but they pick a weak area (they targeted our right side recently) hit two front men who are lively pacy and physical and their midfield players donā€™t show for the ball they run off that long ball and join in quick - again the goal side of our midfield so weā€™re facing our own goal.

Trust me he will be miles off it. He will experience all the same problems they have experienced plus heā€™s not physically and / or technically as good as the ones you list. If anyone thinks you couldā€™ve plonked RAM into the side as a replacement for maddox v Stevenage or Hutchinson v Wimbledon for example and seen any different outcomes as a team, a performance or a result, youā€™re mad (in the nicest way :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)

Let me ask a questionā€¦he trains with and alongside all those players every day for the last 9 months, do you think Flynn, Hatswell and Saddler have at any time thought ā€œheā€™s better than what weā€™ve gotā€ and then not included him even in the 18?

2 Likes

Agree RAM has abilty but to use a phrase they use in boxing he hasnt got his man strength yet i know football is not the same but its a polite way of saying he struggles physically which is understandable at his age at this level.Also agree he should go out on loan said it for months now.

1 Like

Flynn and harswell wouldnā€™t see a decent player if they slapped em in the face then scored with Flynn wife
Iā€™d like Maher to have a gon

On the beach 0 , Sutton weā€™ve got something to play for 2.

Just to back this point up I highlight the following play below where Daniels could have

A) played it short to Riley
B) played a forward to diagonal to Knowles (you can see Knowles pointing for it)
C) rolled it to Monthe
D) hoof it up field

To no oneā€™s surprise he went for option D) as can be seen it was easily dealt with by Wimbledons defence.

Why, choose option D? A) or B) would be want I want to see, but I mean option C) would at least have given a breather.

D) is such a bad choice Iā€™m mystified.

8 Likes

Iā€™ll be in the Lake District so will miss this one thankfully.

2 Likes

If Boycott paid me 20 quid to attend this one I still wouldnā€™t attend!!!

1 Like

Good

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/WFCOfficial/status/1641711931659567105?t=LBXte1HpXuKILZ_1-IpTEw&s=19