D 1-1 vs Sutton United (H) - League Two - Sat 1st April, 3pm

I genuinely think they want to and genuinely think they’re asking them to.

However, I also think we’re paying the price for making little if any progress over the season in terms of our actual play. We have no clear style, no patterns of play and no one has any real plan on how we can break teams down. It’s luck and reliance on Hutchinson, or sometimes Knowles or previously DJ, to pull a moment out the bag.

Sometimes you have to accept progress may be slow and have some short term pain.

For example, this was a new group. I’d have much preferred that we started slow, finding it hard to find our feet, lost some games, made some terrible mistakes passing out and passing into midfield, showed some inconsistency etc etc but had a clear identifiable way of playing….and then as we improved and kept with it we finished the season strong, maybe missing out on play offs but with real momentum going into next season. Much like Orient did last season.

The problem with this, in football in general not necessarily Walsall, is that fans and owners find that tough to take and often start calling for the managers head in October!!!

It’s very hard to see the progress when games are being lost, but in early days or new starts there has to be a strategy, a plan and a process that is more important than an immediate outcome.

Unfortunately, we are going to stumble into the summer and return next season in very much the same place we returned this season and we will have very much the same problems and we will almost be starting again but someone has to be brave….as the saying goes the best time to plant a tree was 10 years ago…the next best time to plant it is now.

Surely if you know what has worked before, the type of player required, you recruit to that model? Funny thing is at this moment I’d label a Flynn as a long ball manager.

Let’s hope he still has this cutting in his scrapbook and reads it, we can only hope.

“Scott Twine…was brought in to pull the strings in the midfield.” Blimey, writing that is just money for old rope.

Pleased to have a cast iron excuse for not bothering going

I wont share the link because it was mentioned in a betting show, but Ali Maxwell from the Not The Top 20 podcast watched the Wimbledon game as a neutral and gave a very stark assessment of how we are set up and how we have no established route to goal.

He backed Sutton as one of his bets this weekend…

6 Likes

I’ve tried to find that but can’t, thought it would be worth a listen.

RAM starting for the Academy today, so he’s not in the first team squad again.

That’s disappointing… give the lad a go of the bench and properly start blooding him through.

1 Like

Losing 3-0 against Accrington. What a mess.

Academy team has been crap for years now, it needs an overhaul.

1 Like

Na we’ve got nothing to play for, throw the kids in :scream::joy:

That’s not the point people are making though?

They’re saying Maher should be given a chance, not us putting out a full academy eleven for the remaining games :joy:

Quiet hush around the stadium currently, sense of anticipation at the afternoons proceedings.

1 Like

Do you speak English? :grin:

2 Likes

He means there’s hardly anyone here. :grin:

Mind you, prices have gone up in the Stadium Suite bars from today so not surprised. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Thanks for clarifying / translating :+1: @KingCrod posts are not easy places to go to :+1::grin:

2 Likes

2 Likes

Matt on the bench and no Williams in the 11 thank fook

1 Like

So Comley actually comes into some form then is injured