D 3-3 vs Hartlepool United (A) - League Two - Sat 25th Feb, 3pm

A trip to relegation threatened Hartlepool United awaits The Saddlers this Saturday, as we look to finally get three points again, having not succeeded in that since New Year’s Day!

The Monkey Hangers were managed by ex-Dingle, Keith Curle until yesterday when he was sacked, and they have already moved to replace him with John Askey, formerly manager of York City dropping into the hot-seat with the target being very much avoiding relegation back into The National League.

Sitting 22nd in League Two, the hosts are perilously close to the drop zone with just 27 points this season. Crawley Town below them have 26 points, but Pools have played THREE games more. Squeaky-bum time coming up for them.

In the Poolies squad is 90-year old (actually 38) Leon Clarke who has just signed until the end of the season. He’s made 2 appearances with 0 goals scored so far. There are three names in their squad that will stick out to our own supporters. mainly because they are all recent Saddlers.

Rollin Menayese is on loan from us, but is out for the rest of the season with injury. Wes McDonald has seemingly found out that this is his level, and now plys his trade here. Finally, Brendan Kiernan moved from WS1 in January and has yet to register a goal or an assist in his first 4 appearances.

Hartlepool United’s recent fixtures have provided the following results:

Moving onto The Saddlers now and we enter this fixture winless in 7 league fixtures, with 5 draws in our last 5 outings. It is clear that the January Transfer window has affected us, but how much longer can it take before things start to click again?

Michael Flynn has come out this week and said that we need to keep believing that we can make the play-offs, whilst Robbie Willmott has been quoted as saying he is sure things will pick back up for us soon. I hope for all of our sakes that this is true!

Heading into this game, there appears to be no new injury news, other than Jamille Matt potentially having a slight shoulder injury, which was the reason he came off in midweek. Joe Riley appears to have recovered from his mystery injury and is in contention for a first start in a Saddlers shirt, perhaps. Liam Kinsella may be back fit for this game, which would give a boost to the team if so.

Joe Riley

How would you line up for this game? Who deserves to keep their spot, and who should be dropped? I don’t even know what to suggest any more, I’m not sure what the winning formula is. That said, I do hope that Taylor Allen is in the starting XI again, as I feel he did well enough against Crewe last time out.

At the time of writing, we have sold over 250 tickets for this game, so fair play if you are one of those already committed to going, especially with recent results and a lack of goals. How many off here are already committed to being there?

How do you see this game going? It’s going to be interesting to see if our hosts get that new manager bounce and if they do, if we can overcome it.

Keep believing - Michael Flynn said so.

Up The Mighty Poundland Soccer Reds

Hartlepool United vs Walsall - Match Result
  • Hartlepool United Win
  • Draw
  • Walsall Win

0 voters

2 Likes

There is a family connection with Walsall for their new manager John Askey. His dad, Colin, played for Walsall and scored one of the goals in our 2-1 win at Shrewsbury in 1961to ensure promotion to Div 2.

6 Likes

I may be a bit of a rebel here and suprise a lot of people but I seriously think we have a dam good chance of a draw here

12 Likes

I’m going for a scrappy boring 1-0 win ,nothing to get excited about but a wins a win,Will probably miss the goal as I fell asleep :sleeping:

Last I heard there was a possibility of Maddox returning too?
I think we’ll nick this. For me the question is… Will one of our forwards score?

1 Like

So we know, who will score :wink:
More seriously, they probably know it’s now or never moment, so it can be a tough game. Another classic in this league too.

If we score 2 or more goals I will snog the person who comment next under this post

I will volunteer

2 Likes

Is 85 your birth year or your age
I don’t kind either way :smiley:

This is a must win game, no ifs ands or buts!
Absolutely no excuses, we have to get 3 points, anything else will be embarrassing.
I’ll watch on Saturday cheering the lads on as i usually do, I’m praying they don’t let me down.
GO SADDLERS!

:joy::joy::joy: 85 is the amount of boils i have on my face.

2 Likes

We will win this 2-0 .

You don’t want a snog really do you.

The 5th must win game on the trot.

3 Likes

Curle out, Askey will play the same team and get 3 points.

Four - you forgot Nicky Featherstone. Although I suppose you could argue he’s not recent as he left us in 2014.

Why is the year 2014 not recent anymore :man_facepalming:t2: god I’m old.

1-1 or 0-0 , can’t see us winning this one.

The squad also looks a tad depleted and void of ideas.

Yet another draw I think. Goals? Doubt it.

1 Like

Maybe a long trip away from home might do us some good. You could sense the frustration with the lack of goals from the players and the crowd during the last 2 home games. That said, The Suit Direct Stadium is never an easy place to go.

2 Likes