D 3-3 vs Newport County (H) - League Two - Sat 1st Jan - 3pm

The defending for the goals in the second half was shambolic.

2 Likes

There are two sides playing. Why can people not factor in the opposition playing well?

Walsall played well both halves (ignoring defensive calamities), but first half Newport worked tirelessly and closed us down. In the second half Newport were shot. If there had been extra time there would only be 1 winner. A trend that follows recent games. We’re heading in the right direction.

12 Likes

It’s a fair point, I think most of us often only look at things from a Walsall point of view and forget there are two teams playing.

That being said, your last point about is going on to win it, you would imagine that to be the case but we are the kind of side that would have probably found a way to lose it, and that is our problem.

1 Like

Walsall didn’t play well both halves, we was awful for 60 minutes.

We will have to disagree there. I respect your pov though.

But you said ignoring defensive calamity’s, for me that’s a huge part of playing well. :wink:

Which 60 minutes?

To be fair we came out raring for second half, had two chances straight away, so 60 minutes is harsh.

At best I’d say it was 50/50 (which is why I wouldn’t argue with a draw) but when we were in control they couldn’t get out their box never mind half.

Nothing harsh about it, we were poor first half and for 10 or so minutes of the 2nd, if you want to split hairs I’ll reduce it to 50 minutes.

However based on the last 30 I’d argue we were good for the win.

Was you there?

We got away with Ash Taylor against Colchester because they were shite against decent strikers at this level it shows how much Monthe will be missed unless we get a short term loan in if you score 3 at home you really should be getting 3 points

1 Like

Well there is something harsh about it to give them the entire first half too. Miller should have scored first half, we had yet another penalty shout ignored and we weren’t totally out of it, but I grant you we were largely poor first half.

For every bit we were poor first half with the odd flashes, I’d argue we were very bright second half with odd lapses :man_shrugging:

Or give Leak a game. Foulkes has been good at Kiddie apparently, wouldn’t mind him coming in for White to be honest, who was absolutely atrocious today.

1 Like

Didn’t think we were bad for 60 minutes at all. Like El Nombre said, we came out for the second half looking alot more intent to go forward, then Wilkinson scored, for the rest of the game we must have had 15 shots.

Take out the defending straight away from our goals, the one chance where their striker went through 1v1, they didn’t do all that much really.

And supposing we’d gone behind three times in the game to take a point, you can’t really ask more of the team than that, the same team in previous years that would have lost it after going 1-0 down.

2 Likes

Yes, as I said there were some desperate moments, including defending for the goals, but in my opinion I don’t think all of that added up to 60 minutes

I thought Mayo had a poor game. Struggled on the left of Taylor, think he’s better suited to playing on the right.

3 Likes

No goals on Quest tonight just turned over and nothing on ?

Mansfield could be tricky - Menayese won’t be able to play leaving us with Taylor and Leak.

1 Like

I thought White played alright - Ward is the one who constantly worries me. Telford was his man for the first and lost him completely.

3 Likes

tomorrow 9pm

1 Like