Danny Johnson signs

Left Orient to join Mansfield once his contract had finished (more money). He has had a few injuries at Mansfield and been in and out the team, with Clough preferring to play others over him, and then he was transfer listed at the end of the season.

4 Likes

Predominantly left-footed by the look of it. Interesting to see 3 of the goals intercepting back passes. He certainly looks sharp on the video.

1 Like

Considering he probably hasnā€™t had too much game time recently he looked pretty sharp yesterday , the fact he can actually control the ball immediately gives him a bit more time

Some of those goals where Rammelesque :grin:

Finally, a genuine striker. The first two goals were brilliant.

1 Like

https://mobile.twitter.com/mansfieldtownfc/status/1550915955915726848

3:50

6 month loan with a view to a permanent deal, lovely stuff.

6 Likes

To be fair Andy Williams goal yesterday was a lovely finish , I think if we can provide the chances these two will convert their fair share.

Sort of confirms my ā€œguessā€ further up the thread.

Try before you buy deal, which is good if the transfer fee is set in stone. If not and he scores 15 goals we could easily be priced out of a deal.

3 Likes

I think Johnsonā€™s age would put off Many suitors paying big money for him so providing he does well given he will be out of contract next summer anywhere between 80k-120k fee I reckon

As predicted by a lot of fans, good to hear.

1 Like

How many goals in that clip would have won goal of the season for us last year.

With the rest of the squad Flynn has put together this year I believe I have every reason now to be Optimistic

Johnsonā€™s time at Orient was a funny one ā€¦ he first came to our notice in an FA Trophy quarter final for Gateshead ā€¦ came on as sub at 3-0 Orient and then hit a 15 minute hat trick to force a replay ā€¦ so when he signed we thought weā€™d got a good one ā€¦ his first half a dozen games were completely anonymous and he got dropped ā€¦ then through injuries he played against Cambridge in the very last game before lockdown and scored his first league goal from literally 6 inches out ā€¦ on resumption he was like a totally different player ā€¦ goals were flying in from all angles and then at Christmas 2020 he picked up a knock and he was never the same afterwards with rumours of home sickness and personality clashes with the manager and several players ā€¦ including a certain Mr.C.Wilkinson ā€¦ it deteriorated so much there was barely any protest from the fans whe he left ā€¦ Keep him happy Danny Johnson on song will get 20 for you next season ā€¦

23 Likes

@el_nombre

7 Likes

Always happy to hear from previous clubs supporters good or bad :+1:

In his interwiew he was asked if heā€™d spoken to C Wilkinson about his move and he said no.
That might be a problem on the horizon if they didnā€™t get on.

1 Like

Do we not think that a) this is just speculation, and b) Flynn might have spoken to Wilkinson about Johnson being as he played (successfully) with him before ?

:joy:

1 Like

Zero, Wilko v Newport better than any of those

:rofl: :rofl:

Danny Johnson has done everything in his life following rejection after rejection to make it as a pro-footballer. He even moved to Spain aged 18 FFS. Not to mention Cardiff, Stevenage, and lots of other places that arnā€™t Teeside.

ā€œHome sickā€ playing for Orient 10 years later, do me a favour. Wilko and Johnson (see what I did there?) left Orient for Walsall and Mansfield for better deals than youā€™s offered its as simple as that.

As for fall-outs with the Orient manager, Iā€™ve read this, but whom exactly? You had two managers during his 20 goals season. The first got the sack about half way through, and the second was away when DJ left.

DJ is a hardbitten ginger smoggie thatā€™s hard earned his career in football, CW is a firey character of Irish descent. Wouldnā€™t be a surprise if theyā€™ve had a few head knocks and got over it.

2 Likes

May be the move happened that quick he didnā€™t have chance? Why would he speak to Wilkinson about the move anyway? He did say that he had spoken to CW a couple of times since he left Orient though

1 Like