Danny Johnson signs

Miller didn’t go, stayed for whole season. As did Wes McDonald when he signed a short deal and then impressed.

I get the feeling this is as much to do with wage he’s on at Mansfield and trying to structure deal rather than sign him permanently now.

I imagine if he’s starting every week and team is in or close to top 7 he’ll be happy to stay for full season.

1 Like

If dj is on 5k a week which tbh I kinda expect in the positions he and Mansfield were in when he signed the loan makes perfect sense.
We pay half dj still gets the 5k a week
No way would we pay that kinda wage for any player at this level or league 1 so this deal works for us

1 Like

Lots of people seem to be upset it is a loan.

I think it makes sense for all parties. Particularly us.

During the week Clough revealed that their valuation had been met (presumably by us). Say that was a fee of £150k. I’m sure Trivela were backing the deal but probably said “and that’s your lot for the summer Michael”.

Flynn is looking at a dressing room that looks more like a hospital ward and realises that with those long term injuries, whilst the theoretical squad looks plentiful, the squad available to him next week looks very thin.

So he needs a bridge until Christmas when hopefully a slug of the injured will either have returned or be about to return. By only spending a nominal amount of that £150k on a loan fee whilst still getting his man for six months, he still has budget to spend on another two or three players over the next week or two. Possibly more loanees to help him bridge to the January window.

9 Likes

I think we only have space for one more loanee . I am pleased that we hope to make a signing or two. I just hope one is a forward who can give us another option in the striking roles

3 Likes

Or the other way round, by all accounts his wages are crazy. If he doesn’t so the business we can send him back for relatively little outlay. This deal suits all parties.

2 Likes

We can have as many loaness as we want, however a max of 5 can be named in the matchday squad.

1 Like

I believe Flynn has done well to assemble the squad he’s recruited, we were lucky he was available when Taylor was dismissed
It’s been a good fit, Walsall and Michael. A struggling L2 side and a man with a reputation of building squads capable of promotion.
One of the big issues last season was a lack of togetherness and communication breakdown (on and off the pitch), I don’t see that happening this season.
We’re very experienced at the back, and now with the recent forward’s signings, up front as well.
Kinsella, Earing Riley and Huchison make a stronger, forward thinking midfield, I would like to see more goals coming from that side of the pitch this year.
No doom and gloom, they’ll be plenty to cheer about.

3 Likes

Not sure if it’s been mentioned on here, but there is also the possible theory that Mansfield know that by being on loan, Johnson won’t be eligible to play against them… which we do twice before January. Maybe they see that as increasing their chances of getting 6 points out of us???
Not necessarily my belief, but a possibility none-the-less.

No idea about the mechanics of the deal as I"ve absolutely no inside track whatsoever but he’s out of favour at Mansfield, still on their books though so they have to pay him. So how sbout tjis - we take him on a rent to buy basis, meaning we pay at least some of his wages (so Mansfield are saving money) and have a clause in the agreement that guarantees that if we’re happy with the goods then we have the sole discretion to turn it into a permanent deal in January. If it doesn’t work out we don’t get our fingers burned as we just decide not to exercise the option. It does turn out OK though so welcome to the club - Rollin.

Worked last season - why not this?

1 Like

Whatever the ins and outs of Johnsons arrival we probably have the two best forwards we’ve had for a few years at the moment , so just let’s go with it .

17 Likes

If a team has a player on loan, presumably they still have to wait for the transfer window to sign him. Does anyone know if that is correct?

Agreed and when you look at the likes of Josh Gordon and Rory Gaffney you can see it’s night and day.I said to Mrs Scoobs actually on the way to the hospital just that she’ll see the difference next Saturday with Johnson especially being a player we’ve always sat there whilst watching another team play us and say “ why can’t we ever find someone like that?”

Hopefully this season we might actually be able to score from a corner or set piece?? I think with Johnson and Williams upfront together they will be far more effective at finding space or latching on to a lose ball. :crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers:

Anybody got some videos of his goals?

Be good if we could score from these and not concede.

I will say though that if we had used Miller and Wilkinson as a " proper" 2 they could have been useful.

1 Like
8 Likes

Some nice finishes in there.

Nice assist from Kinsella :smiley:

1 Like

Goals with both feet and head. Looks promising.

Do we know why he left Orient and Mansfield?

Yeah he’s a poacher but there’s some nice finishes and good strikes amongst that lot. Good to have him onboard