Darrell Clarke: Mid-term report

I voted failure because I can’t see what he is trying to do. What is the plan, and how do Guthrie and journeymen loans fit in to it? What is our style of play supposed to be? Why do we look such a poorly coached team - where is the movement, the organisation at set-pieces, the intelligent play, the ability to play two halves of good quality?

Mostly my problem is that it is so dull. There are social reasons and emotional reasons for following a football team, but entertainment is also a big factor and this season has been boring. I can cope with losing, I’ve had practice, but I’m bored too often.

I was patient with Smith through the very bad times because I thought I could see what he was trying to do, at the moment I can’t see that with DC.

6 Likes

That’s like most of the horses I used to back :grinning:

2 Likes

Agree with all that Jumbo

You forgot the magic word Chunk, “gel” :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

Poor

I have no clue as to our strategy, style of play or formation

Literally making it up as he goes along so it’s difficult for the players or fans to buy into it

Just set your stall out and stick to it go on Daryl be brave

Not posted for a while. Been sitting back and watching the season, well all but end in January.

Poor.

DC has said himself he set out to play 3 centre halves pre season and based his signings on that basis (just as JW did in his final season) A similar scenario has unfolded.

You’d have to ask why the former didn’t work as I don’t think personnel wise we were too far off.

For me, Guthrie was the key man and should have been a real asset in League 2 but has been pretty much a waste of time. Secondly Clarke was supposed to be the leader at the back but…well…flattered to deceive at best. The Strikers (collectively) have missed a boat load of chances - particularly at key times during games.

The only consistency is the inconsistency. Just where does it leave us in the Summer? Another clearout of Players only 12 months on - by the same Manager who brought them in?

4 Likes

If i have to mark him now it would be a lower rating. This is to be took on board right now. The big report is due 10/12 games into next season. If it is not a good mark he will have to be relieved of his duties.

1 Like

I think he’s a better manager than Whitney or Keates and if we’d have had him last season with that squad of players I think he may have kept us up let’s be honest last seasons squad was far more talented overall than the current one Cook Ferrier Morris Dobson and Leahy are playing at a higher level than us and you could argue Devlin and Guthrie are as well

1 Like

I gave him an A.

Mainly because my finger slipped on my tiny phone and I cant seem to alter it.

6 Likes

Poor. No style of play. 75% of recruitment awful (mainly those who will command our higher wages; James Clarke, Guthrie, Liddle, Sinclair, Gaffney). Silly mind games about injuries and contracts. Failure to see where he had no options, i.e right wing, attacking midfield and players comfortable in possession. 3/10.

4 Likes

Couldn’t agree with P.T.'s above comments more.
I hardly ever post on here but I go to most games ( didn’t go on Saturday and probably won’t go for the rest of the season - if the club has written this season off I don’t see the point of going to watch more brown stuff ).
There’s no plan to move forward. Big fat FAILURE from me.

1 Like

For his talk/interviews, How i view him as a bloke i actually give him quite a high mark. Forgot to say that before.

1 Like

You have to be a troll

I hope this is true as to me he comes across as a bit of a ■■■■ in interviews. Arrogant, confrontational and not someone I can imagine you’d enjoy playing for.

Yeah I’ve been told by a first hand source that the man in front of the camera Darrell is not the man who is on the training ground.

By all accounts he’s loved by the players. True at Salisbury and Bristol Rovers too.

People will ignore this though, as it doesn’t fit their hate.

5 Likes

I understand this is part of playing the media, or external world. When there were that friendly game in Poland, he was very likeable person. Yes, I enjoyed that game. Few months later it can be said, something is not working. I know some mistakes had been made and only DC can rectify them. But now it looks rough and tiring. I don’t know how players react towards it, that atmosphere, results, general feeling of giving up. I hope later it will be better, but next year will be harder, maybe even much harder. But that’s main principle in this profession. How you react after, not how you work. So his methods, but so far results are not that good.

1 Like

He brought them success :man_shrugging:

He’s been here 8 months. It’s the now now now culture rearing it’s head again.

No, it’s judging his decisions and, in this instance his press interactions, at face value. You can give it the arrogant “big un” when you are winning, people are less forgiving when you are not. As he likes to say “that’s the football world we live in”.

Are we really that bothered by his press statements?

Assuming he has to say something, it seems everyone, since Whitney, has become a literary critic with subjective opinion on style, diction, inference, use of pronouns, hidden allegorical meaning, metaphors and goodness knows what else.

Is it better, or worse than Whitney’s statements? Some of which were critiqued for his particular use of tense and pronouns at one stage. :neutral_face: