Defining moment that made you a Saddlers fan

I must admit I don’t actually have a defining moment.It was in my DNA,my grandad was a fan from about 1900,my dad was a fan all his life,all my brothers,my sister,my sons,even my mom used to go before they started a family.Even now there’s very often 4 or 5 of my grandkids attending games.This enforced break has even got my juices flowing again,I will definitely be there for the first match once football starts again,and who knows,it could be that it relights my fire… :crossed_fingers: :grinning:

4 Likes

When I was born.

1 Like

I hope it does SID…we will need every fan to turn up and rebuild the club when this is over.
I didn’t have a defining moment either my dad and grandad were on the terraces at Walsall long before I was born so it was in my DNA too. However due to my dad being ill I never went to a match with him. I started going in 1957 with mates at first irregularly but became a regular in the 1959/60 season .
My wife and daughter are both season ticket holders so there is some hope that the family connection will continue for many more years.

1 Like

Might even let you sit by us ! :grin:

2 Likes

Standing in my Nan’s back bedroom looking across the night sky at the flood light glow in the distance. ‘If you open the window you will hear when Walsall score’. Luckily I didnt have to wait long and heard the crowd. Couldnt wait to get down there from that point even though my old man had me going to the baggies at the time. You could hear us loud and clear from Oldbury Street in Wednesbury. This would have been about 77 78 ish even though I didnt actually get to my first game until about 82.

1 Like

I can remember sitting in the Rainbow Stand at the Hawthorns and telling my Dad I did not want to go again (about 10 at the time), so he took me to FP, sitting on top of the dugout (no healthy n safety malarkey) I knew I had found my home.

Luckily it was FP cus if it was Bescot I don’t know who I’d be supporting now.

1 Like

Being born in Walsall.

2 Likes

The day my old man got fed up of me hanging round his stall on Walsall market and told me to bugger off to the football. (He did give me the money to get in :smiley: )

4 Likes

I lived a mile from the ground and would often hear the roar when we scored.
Being 11, my parents thought I was too young to attend by myself, after a little time I eventually wore them down and dad took me to my first game at FP.
I was hooked. The atmosphere, the red and white kit, Colin Taylor flying down the left wing. This may sound daft, but I had a sense of belonging, this was my club.

3 Likes

That’s not always a guarantee :grinning:

That’s jolly decent of you…:grinning:

1 Like

Being born into a family of Saddler fans, my dad and my 2 uncles, i will always remember my first ever away game, travelling on the train to Shrewsbury, i was hooked, but my dad and uncles had stopped going then,i remember years later taking dad to Bescot for the first time, we all got up to celebrate after scoring, and as he went to sit down, he wasn’t familiar with the fact that the seat had retracted, he fell flat on his arris, much to the delight of the fans behind us :joy:, he went apeshit at me for not warning him :joy:, and every time i tried to get him to another game he would say “why? so you can all laugh at me again?” :joy:

2 Likes

My Mom is a Walsall fan but my dad hates football so I had always identified as a Saddler but did not start going until my early teens. I went to odd games in the old Div 4 but the moment that hooked me for life was when we played Leeds in the FA Cup. When Chrissy Marsh scored I think I must have been lifted about 5 rows forward on the Gilbert Alsop as the crowd surged forward. The noise, the atmosphere and the elation of that day is what hooked me for good.

Guess days like that have been few and far between in following 25 years but thats not the point of being a proud Saddler

1 Like

I don’t have a defining moment. None of my family are Walsall fans either, my brother and one uncle are Villa, my dad and another uncle are Blues. Despite my brothers best attempts to make me a Villa fan, I just happened to go along to a Walsall game with a friend one day and that was it.

3 Likes

Exactley that

Live like 5 mins from the ground so went down with a few mates next thing you know we are all hooked at age 13 going away games and al sorts…Had a few years where i couldnt go due too life problems but once its in your blood its stuck there…

WBA at home with merson…And Charton away live long in my memory of good days

2 Likes

My Dad and uncles were all WBA fans when I was a young kid aged about 9yrs I would sometimes go on a coach to the hawthorns from the Woodgreen Road with my dad but if sometimes he went with his mates I got left behind, so a mate of mine said we could get into Walsall"s ground for free ( usually last 15 min as I remember, when they opened the gates for the fans to leave ) so I went along every other Saturday with my mate and watched the last 15 min or so, and I was hooked, seemed like the Hillary St end was a wave of noise!!! My Dad never understood why I deserted WBA and neither can I :thinking:

1 Like

Born in saddler Road Brownhills born a saddler always a saddler

2 Likes

My dad is. His dad was. I am. My lad will be.

Thems the rules.

4 Likes

All my family are saddlers (Not a dingle in sight) . Wish more people gave their support to there home town club.

3 Likes

I know I’ve put this before. My mom and dad had no interest in football but as a 16 yr old I said I supported Man Utd (I hadn’t really a clue about any team). My cousins who were Wolves fans said I should support the town where I was born (thinking I was born in Wolverhampton like them). I said okay then. The next match I made my way to Walsall on the 529 bus from Portobello and asked directions to Fellows Park. I think I caught the last 2 home games of the 79/80 season and I have been a Walsall supporter ever since. It didn’t quite work out how my cousins thought it would. My husband is a Wolves season ticket holder of 41 years but our two children are both Saddlers.

5 Likes