DJ Returns to Mansfield

As posted upthread…

No guarantees with any signing but in the last couple of comparable seasons, when both Matt and DJ were both playing in L2…
21/22 - Matt scored 19 in 46 , DJ 4 in 22
20/21 - Matt scored 16 in 36 , DJ 17 in 42.

1 Like

If we offered 100,000 i think that fair for a player that doesn’t want to play for them. I have to agree that more than this is crazy. As it doesn’t mean we will finish in top 7. However cannot see us winning many without him if you look at other players goal tally.

Because we play different to forest green, the amount of chances they created a game was good, we are just hoofing it at the minute

Do we?

I’d argue that in the last few months we’ve reduced the amount of hoof ball

2 Likes

It reared its ugly head v Tranmere. Will give them the excuse of the wind but all the more reason to play it on the floor

I feel like we do… the amount of long balls we play in a game is maybe 70% of our play, we had 1 chamce against tranmere and scored it, dont know if matt would have scored it but u know what your getting with johnson,

Not sure if this option has been discussed above.
Say the deadline comes and goes, with no movement.
Could DJ agree to mutually terminate his contract and then as free agent, sign for anyone else (assuming he doesn’t play for Cloughie on Saturday), but hopefully us?
The scabs would then save on his wages, but lose out on a transfer fee, which would serve them right so not able to replace him.

I think Walsall should stick to their guns with the offer made. If not accepted for him to play on Saturday, I would half the offer on Sunday morning, as Rotherham did to us on Byfield.

No. Not if he was still a Mansfield player when the window closed. Or rather, he could sign, but not play till the next season.

If the fee is £150k just pay it and get the deal done. He is worth it and guarantees goals compared to some of the shite we have watched over the last 3 seasons.
What I don’t understand is when the deal got changed to a loan why didn’t we have purchase price option to buy added for when the loan expired ?
This tends to be standard practise in the prem and championship.

3 Likes

I agree with this, although it’s a big if. The natural cost-benefit is to work out how much promotion will bring in against this transfer fee.

Could they be adding clauses such as, ‘if Walsall are promoted this season the fee rises’? Would such a thing even be allowed?

Quite simply because Mansfield wouldn’t have included it. Why would they?

But they agreed a fee before it was changed to a loan ?
Why take him on loan with no option to buy if you think he will be a success?

I think we need to get a bit tougher in negotiating here.
They have an asset which is rapidly depreciating and within month will hold no value.
Said asset also has fallen out with a management and wants to sign for someone else.

Give Mansfield an ultimatum

Because the alternative was no loan at all. Mansfield originally agreed to sell, then changed their mind. for whatever reason. Why would Mansfield then include a sale clause in the loan agreement? And we could either take what was offered or lose out on Johnson. I’m sure we’d rather have had him up until January than not at all? If nothing else, it gave time for Flynn to assess other options (Matt being one of them)

2 Likes

I don’t know if those figures are correct assuming they are it seems a reasonable price to me.

Forget the fact his contract is expiring that doesn’t tell the whole story. We need him now. Good luck finding a striker of his quality for that kind of price that will come to Walsall.

He has already played his part in bringing in extra income from the cup.

2 Likes

Funny how were being possibly tight when Makris was 300k years ago and unproven Now we have a proven goal scorer with play offs in sight and 400k+ banked from the Fa cup. If it is £150k its a no brainer but if £250 k as banded about then thats a different story.

2 Likes

Makris was, um, not exactly 300k…maybe :man_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

I think MF at the time was becoming desperate for a striker.
We all know that being desperate in a negotiation costs you, either that or you are seen as weak and easy to negotiate with.
I suspect that is what is driving Mansfield now.
Although now - things have changed - we are not desperate as we have Matt, we also have a player who wants to sign for us.
Mansfield are playing a very dangerous game, say he stays with them and doesn’t really want to, how long until he has another fall out with Clough ? Give them an ultimatum

At the time weren’t we more than desperate? From memory didn’t we only have Williams (as Wilkinson was injured and James-Taylor yet to sign) and DJ signed on loan on the morning of the last serious pre season friendly at Solihull, a week before the season started?

My guess is at that time we would have agreed to virtually anything that Mansfield wanted just to get DJ in.

Fully fit wilko and Matt and maybe we won’t even need dj :wink: