Dutton has Left the Building!

Yeah he’s injury prone scored just 3 times in 19 apps this season. But he’s goal ratio is still better then Flash and lavatory lol. That’s why im sayin he’s worth a try even if he was 46

I agree. I’m sure the next man is lined up already, but won’t be announced until the retained list is announced and the dust has settled.

What does worry me is who has arranged the ‘retained list’?
Did Dutton do it before he left, or is the new man to do it? If so how will he know a dud from a star? Pomllett has said himself he knows bugga all about football, so who is left on our books to advise a newcomer?

The Director of Football.

5 Likes

I disagree with that, only happened from January 2020 imo when Sheron was oddly signed despite decent depth in central midfield and a punt on Jack Nolan which hasn’t come off.

Yes you had the odd Jack Kiersey and James Hardy but those types will also come in if you’re signing 7-8 in a summer, Smith signed those sorts aswell.

Ultimately James Clarke was seen as a bit of a coup at the time given he was a first choice still for Bristol Rovers so he’d have cost a fair bit, same for Guthrie as he’d been playing championship football only about two years before and Sinclair and Lavs had experienced at higher levels.

It didn’t work, dosen’t mean the same method can’t be applied this summer along with hopefully a couple in similar situation to Adebayo and Jules in that they need a solid base to get their careers going.

Yeah he went to Newcastle academy for a bit but didn’t last that long there as was at Luton in October 2009.

My point is though given he won a league title in 2007 and then established team with bottom half budget first outside the top 6 for most of the following season (after the infamous Jan 2008 window the team were still only a point or two off 6th going into April IIRC) why weren’t their league one and two clubs queuing up to get him in once he left Newcastle.

That’s why it’s going to be very tough for Dutton to become a serious manager at a high level as I doubt even national league teams will be interesting with his record so he’ll have to start very low if he really wants to be a number one, Whitney hasn’t managed at any level since leaving him over three years ago and he was Guardiola at times compared to Dutton so you’ve got to show real dedication, better for him if he just accepts he’s more of a number 2/youth coach and develops his skills for that as plenty more openings.

1 Like

Sure Matt Sadler who I actually like who when I have heard him talk football seems to talk a lot of sense unlike BD will have an input into the retained list now and I hope he stays with the club as a player coach. The more coaches the better next season.

You’d have thought Fullarton has been here long enough (month or so now?) and seen enough games, as well as from talking to people like Sadler, and maybe even Dutton, to make the final call on the retained / released list now.

17 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I think there might be quite a bit of tinkering of that page for the next day or so!!:wink:

1 Like

So the man no one wanted is gone.

Can’t wait for us to appoint someone we’ve never heard of, so everyone can whinge about him instead when we’re not 30 for 30 after 10 games in :joy:

FTFY!

1 Like

I reckon that BD has a longer Wiki entry than that for Ray Wilson, who won the World Cup for England. :confused:

1 Like

I’ll really miss his 3-4-3 formations. :disappointed_relieved:

Clarke was arguably worse than Dutton. One gets poached by Vale, the other gets a P45. Funny old game.

Best wishes to him. Wrong man in the wrong place for us, like many of his teams.

2 Likes

Clarke had a win ratio of 32% while Dutton had a win ratio of 12% those are the hard facts. Forget about circumstances. There’s no arguably bout it Dutton was worse, a lot worse

9 Likes

I agree. 20 games is a proper run. We were the worst team in professional football for those twenty games.

And it wasn’t a “cold” introduction to the squad either. It was a squad he had helped build and coach for 18 months.

I wish him well but his position was untenable based upon these facts. He wasn’t equipped at this moment in time but I hope the experience makes him better equipped if there is a next time.

I just hope that for once we don’t completely “bank” the financial upside of Clarke’s wage, not replacing him and the compo we got. That should all go towards a budget to entice the right new manager. Whether that be the new manager’s own remuneration or enhancing a budget to make the job more attractive. We know others have turned us down in the past based around the latter rather than the former.

9 Likes

I agree about the standards in this division: almost none of the teams in the promo/playoffs have been all over us. We’ve given a decent account of ourselves in many games against them - we’ve just given them a couple of goals and/or missed everything in otherwise even games. This division is crap and does, indeed, just need a bit of organisation and at least one decent goal scorer.
BTW, is it my imagination, or have we had slightly fewer genuine gripes about crap referees this season??? :thinking:

1 Like

Don’t think he’ll be out of work for too long…

2 Likes