Dutton in

I still think the budget and signings will be key.

2 Likes

Think our biggest job will be to keep hold-en on to Holden.

Other than that we need to find a hidden gem of a striker, or bring in a veteran who can bang them in at this level for a season or two, a la Rammell/Macken/Mooney/Angell etc

1 Like

After what Pomlett said yesterday, Duttonā€™s future is so closely related to any incoming DoF, itā€™s almost futile debating it until we know more. Heā€™ll have to make a judgement on i/ how much ability/potential in general will Dutton have as a head coach,ii/ will he be specifically capable of implementing the intended changes and vision, iii/ does the new DoF think they can work together. We know so little and it wouldnā€™t be too surprising if whoever it is already intended to bring their own coach in.

Not one person has gone ā€œbefore yesterdayā€™s win I thought he was useless, Iā€™m totally convinced that heā€™s the man for the job after yesterday thoughā€. Not one.

Think youā€™re just struggling to accept that people are open minded and that once they have an opinion it doesnā€™t mean it canā€™t change and look at other points to see if thereā€™s maybe positive points to Dutton as a coach that were overlooked because we were (rightly) obsessed with wanting that first win that everything else we ignored. For me thatā€™s a good thing.

Youā€™re dead set against wanting him as manager? Fine. But donā€™t let it become so personal that you canā€™t find it within yourself to give him a bit of credit where itā€™s due and have to slam everyone else for doing just that.

No matter what he does between now and the end of the season

His press comments are weird

His in game management is terrible. So many strange naive calls made in games

Team selection has been erratic players drop from The XI to being out the squad

He has zero pull as a manager to match our zero pull as a club

Everything pointed to this being wrong at the start. It did in the middle and it still does now.

This club needs good will and momentum to head in to next season. A big unbeaten run or really positive performances give us this with Brian

Anything but that and the club are In trouble

But heā€™s here letā€™s see what he does

1 Like

You can be as open minded as you like but at some point Pomeltt has a choice to make that we all have to accept luckily Pomeltt is making that decision and not you because even though I think it would be a bad decision I suspect Pomeltt thinks itā€™ll be a good decision and I suspect you will be the Piers Morgan of walsall fans that Will decide to go to whatever the side of the fence Dutton falls in or out.

Unless We win every game More or less from now till the end of the season he wouldnā€™t have earnt the Job on merit not points wise anyway so heā€™s getting the Job if he does on Pomeltts personal opinion of him thatā€™s fine because thatā€™s Pomeltts job and Pomeltt can take 90% of the blame if it goes tits up .
Points wise come the end of the season I think weā€™ll be in a situation where no current manager of any team in the national league would have done a worse job hopefully Iā€™m proved wrong and that win yesterday might be the monkey off the back, We could lose on Tuesday tho and itā€™s back to square One.

1 Like

Okay mate, whatever that means. Piers Morgan of Walsall fans, that hurts.

2 Likes

He needs to do a lot more than win one game at the 14th attempt to convince me heā€™s the right man. We really need to win at least half of the remaining games and probably lose no more than one to get my support. Although I get the feeling he already has the job in the bag anyway, bar a real disastrous run.

1 Like

Can anybody think of a manager throughout the history of football, who failed to win any of their first 13 matches, then went on to be successful?

@milansaddler and @Otiswfc I agree. Needs to do a hell of a lot more. But that wonā€™t bother Pomlett one bit. If he thinks Dutton is the man heā€™ll keep him there.

He clearly doesnā€™t mind if it threatens football league status.
The letters and questions from focus meetings are water off a ducks back.
The liklehood of the worst season ticket sales since we moved to Bescot donā€™t seem to have an impact.

Iā€™ve got a feeling Brian stays.

Mike Duff the closest I can think of - took ten games to get his first win at Cheltenham.

I can say, so far the ownerā€™s gamble paid off. We are probably staying in this league, so time for good decisions now. Will BD be one of these decisions? I donā€™t know. I know when DC was sacked by Bristol City, BD stayed there for half a season before joining him at WFC. So fifty percent he will stay or go to Vale. I wonā€™t be surprised if he will join him, again. Iā€™m happy now, relegation is rather unlikely and big thanks to BD for this. Someone else could relegate us lower or would make this season more nervous, than it was.

Youā€™ve gotta be kidding? We was hunting for the play offs before he came manager . Anybody with half a brain cell would have kept us up. thereā€™s been improvements but letā€™s not pretend heā€™s done an amazing job cause itā€™s been a disaster up until the Harrogate game. heā€™s learning on the job and heā€™s made a lot of mistakes but heā€™s improving and Iā€™m happy to see how the next 6 games go but we shouldnā€™t be thanking anyone.

1 Like

Were we though, really? DC had a lucky streak of 4 wins, but look either side of those wins. We were never really challenging, and nor would we have if he stayed IMO.

3 Likes

I donā€™t think Clarke would of got us near the playoffs either, but at the same time I donā€™t consider staying up any sort of achievement. Weā€™ve avoided the worst case scenario, thatā€™s it.

As a club we need to get away from this ā€˜lucky just to be hereā€™ mentality. You could make some sort of case for it in League One, even if thatā€™s our historic level, but certainly not in League Two.

2 Likes

We was 7 points from the play offs and even Dutton himself said he would have failed if he didnā€™t make them. I ainā€™t saying we should have made them but sure as hell shouldnā€™t have been fighting relegation. We should never have been in that situation to begin with. We donā€™t owe Dutton any thanks

4 Likes

Iā€™m not convinced about that hunting promotion part. Of course thatā€™s my opinion, but after failure of building a team capable of challenging for playoff places, someone had to keep this team in a league. Rest was a cost cutting exercise, so BD deserves some praise. He survived and the team survived too. But ok, Iā€™m awaiting, eagerly can say, what decisions will be made May/June. It will decide the future of the club in the next few years, so better be right this time.

Spot on.

I still think the lack of a decent striker after Adebeyo was sold has made it difficult.

2 Likes