Dutton Out

Spot on

I just want some 4-2 wins next season and Dutton clearly isn’t going to deliver them is he? 🤷

On a more serious note, he now has to go.

From what has been posted on her, Fullarton doesn’t like talking to the media.

@TheRedPrince In terms of tradition, It cannot be disputed that Blackpool are a bigger club than Walsall. I cannot argue with your rationale: you are right.

However, in the last 5 or 10 years, they have been of a comparable standard to Walsall on the pitch, in my subjective view. A major reason for this is poor leadership at boardroom level.

I look at the current top 7 of league one and there are 3 teams that should not be seen as significantly bigger than Walsall: Peterborough, Lincoln City and Blackpool.

Historically speaking, I believe that Walsall hold many records in terms of league one statistics: appearances, wins, draws, etc.

I am saying that cities like Birmingham, Manchester, Liverpool and London should boast teams that ‘little Walsall’ cannot cope with. Conversely, the population of Walsall is certainly comparable with West Bromwich.

Am I trying to convince anyone that Walsall are a bigger club than WBA, Wolves or even Blackpool? Obviously not. But are we massively underperforming compared to what the tradition of the club expects? Well, the current league table doesn’t lie.

Money talks in the modern game and unless we get a significant cash injection from the Rico Henry potential sale in the summer, it’s going to be another long season next year in the basement division, I suspect…

3 Likes

@Gavin77 I couldn’t agree more. The recent promotion of Norwich City back to the promised land is a prime example.

A ‘reward’ of 3 years off parachute payments when a premier league club gets relegated to the championship. But what happens to Norwich City’s 2 years of parachute payments that ‘are not required’ (since promotion was secured at the first attempt)? It just gets absorbed back into the fat cat’s purses.

Very difficult to justify when smaller clubs lower down the pyramid are having such a tough time…

1 Like

​Usually directors are not heard. They are working in the background. Their work can be seen, but rest? Not necessary. So not words, but actions. Usually in the season break.

2 Likes

I’m undecided about Dutton. Part of me likes how we are trying to play now but feel that having no decent forwards is making it difficult for it to come to fruition. Perhaps if we’d signed some decent players in the January window, results may have been different. I know Dutton is responsible in part for the players we have but he may have less of a role in bringing in new players as Fullarton may be doing that so he can concentrate on coaching. Recruitment this summer is key for me.

8 Likes

Good balanced post :clap:

2 Likes

Probably would be, but good enough to challenge playoffs spot? Probably not. So if a question was, spent now or save for the summer, I would choose the latter, of course bracing myself for cack results.
And question if BD will be a good coach later, or not? So far it’s hard to see it. He can be a very good head coach, on paper, but I would always choose someone, who looks bad at it, but has some football luck behind. Many things can be improved, but the ability to make that right decision, when it counts, can’t be learnt.

Thought the same about Roberts myself, if he’s not bitter at being let go then invite him back in as a potential signing. What do we have to lose?
Don’t forget it was Clarke who let him go, the same Clarke that wouldn’t play Perry for reasons only he can be aware of.

1 Like

I agree with this, I think that game has made me think he should go, from a not really sure point of view previously. If Dutton has potential, give him a coaching role with the assurance that we will help to develop and bring him on under JF, as a future potential manager, like we do with academy players.
One in the bag, so to speak.

1 Like

I don’t think that this is a bad shout @Strikedave1. Give Dutton a role nurturing the young players and bring in Ben Garner.

Garner has links with Bristol Rovers, Crystal Palace and WBA. Therefore, there are some continuity links with Dutton, Fullarton and West Brom: the local team that have brought us some of our better signings in recent years (Sawyers, Downing and Mantom). Indirectly, you could add Melbourne to this list and in January, the club were heavily linked with a striker from the Baggies called Chiekh Diaby.

Incidentally, another striker who looked really good for Gas v Walsall in the FA Cup was Brandon Hanlan. Add an extra name of a forward player constantly linked with Walsall seemingly, is Alex Rodman. Pretty sure that he played at Sloppies with Sadler too. 34 years old now but at 6’2”, he would give us an outlet, he has bags of skill and experience and I think he could be a fan’s favourite and bring on Wright (if we get him back on loan next season). I’d certainly have either over McDonald.

And there’s always the Wizard of Oz…

I honestly think that this would be a smart move for the club and would make sense at boardroom level in terms of a young, hungry, available and probably affordable manager with something to prove and local connections…

Jimmy Shan could also be considered (the Cameron Archer link would be interesting) but the appointment of Garner could allow Dutton to step down and build up his coaching experience at a lower level than the first team.

2 Likes

Why not swop Miguel Llera and Brian Dutton’s roles.

1 Like

Walsall need to sort out what happening with Dutton. If he stays think I might be going to see baggies next year. Couldn’t, stand the thought of watching another season like this one. With little or no attacking play.

2 Likes

You can’t jump ship and watch olbion ffs :joy:. I’d rather poke my eyes out then go and watch any other midlands team. By all means stay away in protest or even go and watch rushall but surely you couldn’t go and watch wolves, Albion, villa or blues. Pickled my head

7 Likes

I agree with your post. However I have never got my head round those that have drifted away from Walsall and chosen to follow Rushall either. To take in the odd game fair enough, but to follow them when you have no connection to Rushall at all is baffling to me. Plus they are more likely to be our rivals in the near future than any of the clubs you mentioned.

2 Likes

[quote=“jjunior9, post:3072, topic:6068, full:true”]

Thank God, we are still a football league club and we are surrounded with excellent clubs in the Midlands who can help us with loans, if we utilise it correctly. Personally, I have no issue with that.

Yes, we are surrounded by 4 bigger clubs who, in theory, should be happy to loan us some of their up and coming players. But, apart from Wright, who have we signed on loan over the last 2-3 seasons from the Big 4 who has been any good? Yet, many times this season we have come up against opponents in our division with good loanees from Albion, Wolves etc. We can’t even get that right!

As for Dutton: the guy’s got no presence, no charisma. He doesn’t inspire confidence and that’s why I wouldn’t give him the manager’s job. His track record at Walsall, either as coach or manager, has been very mediocre. I don’t blame him for the mess we’re in, especially after our surrender in this January’s transfer market. But: we shouldn’t be losing to Barrow, Morecombe and Southend at home. It’s going to be a busy summer!

4 Likes

I agree. In next 5 years even becoming an established mid table league one club again feels a big task currently but nothing wrong with dreaming a bit and it can be done. Sign 3-4 in key positions fans can identify with and get behind and the general mood will quickly change on matchday.

2 Likes

I’ve never been to rushall myself but at least it’s non league ( way down the pyramid from Walsall fc) and it’s connected to Walsall. If ur boycotting Walsall and need a football fix then that would be my choice. Wolves,stoke, West Brom fans at my work place are total planks which makes the rivalry day in and out, hence why I couldn’t bring myself to watch another local team. I’m over the moon West Brom are relegated and I hope they majorly flop next season too. anyway we’re gewing up next season with Dutton army

1 Like