Dutton Out

His time with us wasn’t his best but Sean O’Driscoll had years of successful management under his belt and we gave him 16 games. 16 games for a manager who had operated in the second and third tiers for over a decade.

Dutton has had 20 games. He came with zero credentials and has lived down to those credentials.

75% of the workforce, from the boardroom through team management and onto the pitch, need to go. More than any others, we owe Brian care as I think this experience has been unfair on him and he is the one with the profile and constantly under the microscope.

I genuinely wish him all the best.

9 Likes

Dutton out and ‘proper’ investment or LP will have a problem on his hands!

The only time ive felt like the club was going for it, was when we binned that sourfaced ■■■■ off.

A world away from those days.

1 Like

A very good opening point and a great post.
Given the circumstances in which Dutton came into post and Pomlett’s barely-concealed feeling of betrayal in regard to Clarke’s conduct, he will have been desperate for Dutton to succeed, apart from his wish to see the club progress… I’m sure Pomlett values loyalty and he will have been grateful for Dutton agreeing to step into the role, especially if he did have other options open to him when Clarke walked out.
Having said that, Dutton would have been keen to grasp an opportunity to begin his management career especially as Pomlett had identified potential in him and begun to support his development. He would have every incentive to accept the offer irrespective of the situation he was walking into.
What seemed to have been a good solution, one that suited both parties, has not worked out for either party.
I’m grateful to Brian Dutton for stepping up to the plate and giving it a go but I think he would be on a hiding to nothing if he was to remain in place and despite fans’ websites being not entirely representative of the entirety of the fan-base there is little doubt that he would be targeted for criticism, warranted or not, from the off next season.
I hope all parties involved have learned from this episode.

6 Likes

Rubbish, I’m sure Dutton was all up for it and wanted to give it a go. Don’t blame LP for all Dutton’s shortcomings.

Don’t be daft, a good leader would not have made such a stupid appointment!

Of course Dutton said yes, but he shouldn’t have had the option.

He meant more the last window getting in the two joke “strikers” to replace Adebayo so absolved himself of responsibility for those two signings anyway.

It could’ve been worse…Clarke would’ve been likely mutually consented around now (and he knew it hence why he f***ed off) and given Dutton was having his mock interviews the plan was obviously to appoint him as manager for 21/22.

Just imagine the first 20 games of next season being like the ones just gone so I just hope the club have realised they’ve got away with minimal damage and now is the time to start making some proper decisions in key recruitment areas instead of freebies and massive gambles on inexperienced people.

5 Likes

Since January we’ve only really had one key player, and he’s been injured a fair bit. What a bloomin’ shambles.

Maybe a good leader would have spotted the potential of an employee to step up, it could have worked. I don’t think it is all down to LP.

Isn’t that what we want as a club, to develop our own talent?
I agree and can understand Pomlett’s belief in Dutton having potential. Worth a punt. Pity the timing wasn’t right, perhaps came too early for him and in the midst of all the consequences of a Covid-Zombie season.

I think Clarke’s absence was also a miss.

This was my thoughts recently too …

Has he gone yet?

Joking aside, I expect to hear something Monday morning.

Let’s reset, and start making some forward thinking, positive decisions as a club. Now.

3 Likes

Leyton Orient not wasting any time - Leyton Orient - Leyton Orient

7 Likes

Find it mad that we have the lowest league experience squad in league 2… top 10 budget my ass… team needs a massive rebuild… really hope we get our business done early so we can gel as a team…but no doubt we will be left with all the players No-one wants… I was watching torquay game earlier and the standard of quality was better than what I witnessed today

2 Likes

And to be fair Mcanuff did a good job there … A club showing ambition

3 Likes

I agree with that Mazza

1 Like

Why? If Brian wants to become a football manager he needs to develop a thick skin. Why should his ineptitude escape scrutiny?

1 Like

I can’t understand how we were not the first team to outline our intentions to recruit a new head coach.
In fact I cannot believe we have not got an appointment as it has been obvious for the last 15 games that this has been required.
The lack of urgency is painful.